IGNORED

Arcade Archives (Rygar)

cimerians

Anyone notice this on the store? Its overpriced but it looks like someone is starting some sort of arcade collection and I read somewhere it's to promote the game share feature coming soon. (where anyone can play your game even if they dont own it, kind of like virtual couch co-op).

I picked it up but I dont know if I'll spend 8 bucks a pop on single arcade games, part of me wants to support this though. I bought two copies of Midway Arcade Origins (360 and PS3) for example.

I tried it out and its got a manual which is pretty good and well written with descriptions of in game drops etc. and some photos of some old cards from the game. You can resize the screen. Make a save game, post to leaderboards and it also of course keeps your local high score in the game just like if you were playing it on MAME. I didnt see any feature like graphics smoothing or added effects like scanlines so thats somewhat of a bummer but I think it looks ok on an HD display.

Controls are very good and the sound seems accurate to me but I haven't fired up MAME yet to try.

The ONLY thing that sucks is the pricetag. I'm wondering what else will make it? This is a Tecmo game so I'm praying for Solomons Key.

Edit: It's also ridiculously easy to get 100% achievements.

I saw it as well. Found this with a lot more details.

http://www.psnstores.com/2014/04/hamster-and-nippon-ichi-partner-up-to-bring-arcade-archives-to-ps4/

Hoping some rarities make it West. UPL and Jaleco aren't publishers you see everyday when classic arcade games are emulated on modern platforms (Where as I have versions of most of the other stuff in this lineup like the Tecmo games on Tecmo Classic Arcade for the Xbox).

I'd love to see Cisco Heat and Big Run from Jaleco.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Looks like Solomons Key, Crazy Climber, Moon Cresta and others are set for Japan. I had no idea TurboGrafx-16 titles were being released.

I have the Tecmo collection as well and mostly fire it up for Rygar or Solomons Key. :P

I found the Japanese website for Hamster and a Hori stick they have a link to:

http://www.hamster.co.jp/arcadearchives/

http://www.hori.jp/products/ps4/ps4_rap_h/

• Like 1

I'm intrigued but I started Diablo 3 so I'm busy for a while... lol.

$8 is a tad bit pricey... perhaps a PS Plus discount will help me open my wallet. I think I have this one on my Wii (remember those? lol) and I was excited as it was the arcade port. I enjoyed the NES game and finished it the Christmas I received it, way back whenever that was! lol

If they make a room for all your arcade machines, I would start buying them up to build my arcade. I always wanted my own arcade! :)

• Like 1

Sounds cool, but like you mentioned the pricing almost assures it won't succeed.

I thought Xbox Game Room was fairly well done. It was fun to decorate your own arcade, although I wish they had let you take control of an avatar and wandered around the arcade.

Still it was pretty cool and they had/have a TON of games! Atari, Intellivision, Arcade.

The price is what I felt held it back. I bought like 10 games. Those alone set me back $30. Even now that they aren't supporting it anymore (I think the company that released it went out of business?) the Xbox Game Room games are still $3.00-$5.00. I fired it up about a week ago, and was hoping they prices had been dropped. If they were like .99 I'd have loaded up.

Oh well.

Wow.. Pretty retarded considering you can get Rygar on the Tecmo compilation for the original XBOX for five bucks, and you get a bunch of other good games on top of that. I don't really understand the pricing scheme on some of these modern arcade emulation efforts. SNK had it right on the PSP and PS3 with some of their more obscure titles like Time Soldiers and Chopper I (each were three bucks a pop), but any more than that is really pushing it unless you add some extra options (like remixed visuals and sound, which Konami did for their early XBLA releases, and they charged five bucks for them).

• Like 1

Sounds cool, but like you mentioned the pricing almost assures it won't succeed.

I thought Xbox Game Room was fairly well done. It was fun to decorate your own arcade, although I wish they had let you take control of an avatar and wandered around the arcade.

Still it was pretty cool and they had/have a TON of games! Atari, Intellivision, Arcade.

The price is what I felt held it back. I bought like 10 games. Those alone set me back $30. Even now that they aren't supporting it anymore (I think the company that released it went out of business?) the Xbox Game Room games are still $3.00-$5.00. I fired it up about a week ago, and was hoping they prices had been dropped. If they were like .99 I'd have loaded up.

Oh well.

Game room was great...I felt the same way. Prices kept me from buying everything but they had a lot of stuff and it was very cool. So much that I also played it on Games for Windows on my PC with an emulated controller. It didn't help my hi scores all that much though. :P There were some guys on Atari Age that had hi score competitions. I was thinking about loading it up again to see if anything's changed like the prices but I guess not.

Kind of wish the game room would come back or someone picks up the rights to it or something.

Too bad that it died when it did since I think game bundles were one of the things that they had just started to advertise. It's a shame Microsoft didn't keep it going since they apparently had licensing lined up for over 1,000 games. We only saw a mere fraction of that make it out.

Their prices were high, but still semi reasonable. I bought pretty much everything that interested me for the arcade games that I didn't already have on the backwards compatible Atari Anthology, XBLA, and on Konami's PS1 compilation (Which plays well on the PS3). Rounded that out with at least one Intellivision favorite and I think three Activision 2600 games.

Not a bad way to spend $40 or so, but too much per game to rebuy much stuff just for convenience.

Edited by Atariboy

• 5 months later...

How is the version on it of the arcade original?

As for Arcade Archives, looks like they have a fair sized number of arcade releases now. GameFaqs shows the following as having appeared.

Ajax

Bomb Jack

Butasan

City Connection

Crazy Climber

Crazy Climber 2

Double Dragon
Exciting Hour (Mat Mania)

Exerion

Gradius

Karate Dou

MagMax

Moon Cresta

Mr. Goemon

Nejjetsu Kouha Kunio-Kun

Ninja-Kun: Majou no Bouken

Nova 2001

Raiders 5

Rygar

Scramble

Solomon's Key

Syusse Oozumou

Terra Cresta

Wonder Boy

Wonder Boy in Monster Land

Nice to see Konami and Sega games like Ajax. I hope more of them come West since I see several that I'd buy (Only Rygar has made it so far).

Edited by Atariboy

Thanks for the list, I can only be frustrated looking at it. :P

How is the version on it of the arcade original?

Looks ok but the controls are awful. 4-way diagonally is fine on an arcade machine built that way but does not translate well on a modern controller. This is why old consoles like Colecovision, C64 and NES allowed you to control Qbert with the up, down, left, right pad which made it so much easier. Well at least in my opinion. Might be easier to control with a keyboard on PC. As is, it's just not worth it.

I didn't pay much attention to the sounds or any other graphics glitches cause I was so focused on the horrible controls. lol

Edit: Played it some more last night and I guess I'm used to it as I'm playing much better. The classic game is really the only thing worth it but you might as well play this in MAME. I dont think there is a high score table and I also think they slowed down "Slick" the little green monster with shades. I don't remember him being this slow in the arcade version unless he gets faster at later levels.

• 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have three of these games (Crazy Climber, Crazy Climber 2, and Renegade) and I am impressed by their presentation. To answer the old original post there is a Scanline option in the Display Settings area (I have mine set to 2). While there have been complaints about the price I think that the price is okay considering the various options that you have compared to similar compositions on the PS3. I bought Ikari Warriors on the PS3 and it doesn't have the same type of options, such as Scanlines, like this collection does. The collections on the PS4 are a lot more polished to me. The only problem that I have, at least with the Crazy Climber games) is that the Analog Sticks are too twitchy. My engineering side is already whirring trying to figure out how to make a dual arcade stick control for use with these games.....

• Like 2

The only problem that I have, at least with the Crazy Climber games) is that the Analog Sticks are too twitchy. My engineering side is already whirring trying to figure out how to make a dual arcade stick control for use with these games.....

Agree on the sticks on Crazy Climber, I had to use save states to get anywhere, really tough.

I just picked up Gradius I, sigh. Still hurts spending 8 bucks on one arcade game but I'm dying for some Gradius...especially since II is out soon. Didn't see it in the store today.

Whoa. I just realized there are a lot more of these Arcade Archives releases than I knew. They're very Japan-centric.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcade_Archives

Yep definitely. I got the Konami logo when I fired up Gradius. Hmm

I highly doubt any other deals get done to get more games we recognize....like with Capcom or Taito.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

A few of the Arcade Archives games are discounted to 2.89GBP this week on the UK PSN store... Armed F, Double Dragon, Double Dragon 2, Karate Champ, Moon Cresta, Renegade.

The only Arcade Archives game that I've purchased so far is Darius. It's really well done with the correct 3-monitor aspect ratio and original, arrange, and caravan modes. Anyone know if any of the other titles offer extra features beyond video settings and leaderboards?

• 1 month later...