IGNORED

Sony Walkman

TPA5

Hey folks,

I'm on the hunt for a Sony Walkman, not ultra picky about the model itself, just wanting to be able to listen to my cassettes on the go again. My Walkman finally passed on, and eBay has it's traditionally stupid prices on Walkman's so I thought I would check here first.

Thanks!

I've been on the lookout for a portable Sony Walkman as well...and I can assure you that they are becoming seriously collectable! It's crazy cuz only a few years ago you couldn't give them away at garage sales!

Wow, I had no idea! I definitely can remember them essentially being thrown out not that long ago. Guess I'll have to do some hunting!

Expect to do some maintenance on them too, once you get one. Chances are any belts and idler tires will need to be replaced. I've passively been on the lookout for a metal bodied Walkman myself. Something that can handle chrome/metal and Dolby NR. All very stupidly priced when you do finally find one. :(

Expect to do some maintenance on them too, once you get one. Chances are any belts and idler tires will need to be replaced. I've passively been on the lookout for a metal bodied Walkman myself. Something that can handle chrome/metal and Dolby NR. All very stupidly priced when you do finally find one. :(

Thanks for the heads-up! I don't mind turning a screwdriver if need be, it's always a nice way to pass some time (especially with colder months on the horizon).

I just came across one that is Vintage from the attic. I didn't test it - it's missing the battery door. I think I put it away again in an easy to find place, PM me, and I'll post a pic.

Sent you a PM! Thanks.

Edited by TPA5

I imagine Walkmans are going to spike for the rest of the year, thanks to Guardians of the Galaxy.

It's not a Walkman, but I still have an old Aiwa portable cassette player I bought in college, ironically because I had some MP3's I wanted to play at my work place, and laptops weren't exactly quality MP3 players back then. Not that I could have afforded a laptop anyway. Dubbing the tunes to cassette was much easier. Twenty-some-odd years later, the player still works fine, even if the cassettes I try to play on it are a whole lot worse for wear. Any cassette fan will tell you, late '70s and early '80s tapes are a real chore to get and keep in good condition!

I had one of these when I was in College:

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/aiwa_hs_g35.html

It was beautiful.

One day I forgot my jacket in class. I found the jacket later, but the Aiwa was gone. I bought a completely different model, but unfortunately couldn't afford a nice small one again.

Good times. Recharging Ni-Cads pretty much every day, but these were vital for 45 minute walks to school and later 1 hour bus rides to work.

Anyway, good luck on your quest to purchase a Walkman. If I could find "mine" for cheap, I'd jump at it, just to show the kids.

I dug this out for TPA5, but it doesn't work. I tried with batteries and a 3v power adapter (as indicated) and the power light won't come on. The wheels won't turn either. As mentioned, the battery door is missing. If anyone wants it, I'll ship it for the cost of postage and some good karma.

post-5812-0-56216000-1408636649_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

TPA5 - Do you still have your old Walkman that doesn't work?

Not sure, it died before I moved, so I'd have to see if I packed it up. I don't recall seeing it when I was unpacking boxes.

It sounds like garage sales and flea markets are the way to go for the good ones, rather than eBay.

Yeah it looks like you're going to be on the money there. I'll just have to keep a sharp lookout at my local thrift store.

I look for them at thrift stores and goodwill time to time for cheap Walkmans, Like $2

I have like 2 Sports ones from Sony

The thrift store that's local to me rarely has electronics, sadly. Besides a couple joysticks and a pile of unused floppy disks, I can't find things like Walkmans or even cassette players.