IGNORED

Hard Drives

cimerians

Thanks for the info, Cimerians!!

I've got a few games installed to the XB1 drive, mostly all the Gold freebies and three disk based (Battlefield 4, Dead Rising 3, and Forza). When I installed Wolfenstein a little while ago, the system said I'm down to 48% free space. I went thru the constant install/delete challenge with the Wii and not looking forward to doing it on the XB1 or PS4. So I ordered the drive and we'll see how it works.

Edited by Mendon

No prob...that drive was rated pretty solid so it should work well. I picked up a 1TB hybrid last spring and I'm around 50%. AAA games take tons of space but yeah Wolfenstein is the biggest hog I got at 50G!!

Now that I finished it I may uninstall it. As long as the game saves are left alone I don't mind un-installing stuff that I don't intend to play again for a while.

If you are already using an external drive on your XB1, maybe you can answer a question:

Once the HD is installed and recognized by the XB1, does everything you download or install go automatically to it or are you given the option of whether to install/DL to the internal or external drive? Reason I ask is because once I added a HD to my Wii U, everything automatically goes to it. I can move something from the external to internal memory (or vice versa) but everything downloaded automatically goes to the Wii U external hard drive.

Just curious as to how the XB1 external drive will be used/addressed by the XB1.

Oh, and I am enjoying Wolfenstein; much better than I actually expected. I haven't looked at the install size but 50gb??? WOW! I guess now I know why it took so long to install on the XB1; seemed like 15min or so to get to the "Ready to Start" message and after about 45min of playtime, it still hadn't fully installed.

Edited by Mendon

If you are already using an external drive on your XB1, maybe you can answer a question:

Once the HD is installed and recognized by the XB1, does everything you download or install go automatically to it or are you given the option of whether to install/DL to the internal or external drive? Reason I ask is because once I added a HD to my Wii U, everything automatically goes to it. I can move something from the external to internal memory (or vice versa) but everything downloaded automatically goes to the Wii U external hard drive.

Just curious as to how the XB1 external drive will be used/addressed by the XB1.

Oh, and I am enjoying Wolfenstein; much better than I actually expected. I haven't looked at the install size but 50gb??? WOW! I guess now I know why it took so long to install on the XB1; seemed like 15min or so to get to the "Ready to Start" message and after about 45min of playtime, it still hadn't fully installed.

When you plug in the drive a walkthrough comes up and asks you if you want the external drive to be your default drive you install games and APPS to. You can change the setting later so if you havent filled up the internal drive yet I wouldn't change it right away. It also formats the drive and you give it a name. You can go to system storage and check your internal drive games and external drive games whenever you want and I think thats where you go to change default primary drives as well.

Its pretty simple I saw my friend do it....I dont have an Xbox One yet. Waiting for the Halo set to come out and hopefully some colored consoles too.

If you don't mind a little more bulk and an extra power supply, a desktop external drive is cheaper per TB. I bought a 4TB external for $140 from Amazon. A 5tb drive was also available for the same price per tb ($35).

I did have an issue with the usb cable that came with the drive though. My Xbox would not recognize the drive, while any computer I plugged it into did. I tried a different usb cable and it was recognized immediately. Has worked fine since.

Just added a USB3 portable drive (2TB 7200rpm) to my system and it is definitely worth it with the faster loading times over internal.

I've never changed out a hard drive on any of my consoles. Yours is just an add-on external that you've made your primary drive?

Forgive my n00bishness with this, but I may do this down the road, so I'm trying to educate myself.

I've never changed out a hard drive on any of my consoles. Yours is just an add-on external that you've made your primary drive?

Yes it's an add on external USB3 drive, which I told the XB1 to use as the new default device. I also manually moved over the game installs that were already on the internal drive.

In my case, I notice slightly faster load times on a hybrid but again its just a little bit. Full SSD's are more noticeable especially with the right drive (not just any generic brand). Its still not worth getting an SSD IMO, because they are limited in space and what most people need is the extra space.

Sometimes Amazon has sales so you just have to keep an eye on a few.

• Like 1

I really wish consoles were made with 2 hdd bays. One filled with the stock one, and empty. I'm sorry, but in this day and age where 500gb is literally nothing, and 32gb is pathetic at best, it really sucks that systems like the X1 and Wii U have to have big ugly external hdds sitting on top of them...

While I haven't put anything on it yet to see about speeds, the Seagate I bought for the XB1 was recognized right away and formatted easily and quickly.

Only quirk I noticed was when I made the external drive my default drive, none of the games I had on the internal drive showed up on screen in the "My Games and App's" section. When I went back to making the internal drive the default, they showed back up. Maybe I was supposed to click on something on that Game & App screen to quickly switch between internal & external content views (I'll have to go back and check), but I thought it was sort of weird the way it came up.

• 2 weeks later...

to have big ugly external hdds sitting on top of them...

Just curious, what brand of HDD are you buying?

My 2TB Seagate is about the size of like 2 packs of cigarettes lain side by side. Even if I put it directly on top of my Xbox One (which I don't just because the vents are on one side and my controller sits on the other), I don't think I would even give it a second thought, maybe you just need a new brand?

Does anyone know, can you play video files directly from the Xbox One now? That was one pet peeve I had, not being able to search for and play video,music, picture files directly from the dashboard like you could on the Xbox 360.