IGNORED

Tempest problem...

SoundGammon

Got a Tempest today from a lady. That's the good news. Looks like someone tinkered with it. Got it to power on. No screen, no spot killer light on. 5 volt light lights on the logic board. Yes! Didn't hear a pop in the speaker when I powered it on - checked speaker and wire was off, now makes a pop and a disappearing "fuzz" sound then goes quiet. Checked power supply, something not right about the fuses, the last 4, F3-F6 each of the them moved down a step and the yellow leads for F6 left hanging, the reason, I found, was F3 fuse holder was loose. It's also the one for the 20 amp fuse. Got a fuse jumper for the yellow F6 and connected it and installed a 4 amp fuse in it. Powered up, and have ALL required voltages on the power supply board! Went to the monitor, saw the filaments on! Turned screen control all the way up - dark. Checked the fuses on the deflector board and replaced the 2 at the edge. Powered up again, and spot killer light is now on! Turned screen control up again and spot on screen! Turned back down. Now I know the monitor works, high voltage and all. Found plug by the front door that feeds the coin switches, slam, lock-outs, and coin lights disconnected, plugged back in. Turned back on, coin switches do nothing, but see the two player one and player 2 cone lights are on steady, not flashing. I have another logic board that did work when pulled from another cabinet a couple of years ago does the same thing! 5.04 volts at the logic board. Checked the test switch, in game setting, moved-no change. Any ideas? Do the cone lights come on steady when in test mode? Thanks!

My Tempest cabinet has been non-functional for almost a year now…that is one tricky beast to troubleshoot. It's even trickier to keep it up and running, once you fix a problem. I've had mine for 5 or 6 years now…I think it has been working for a total of 2 years (on and off) during that time. I wish you the best of luck with yours.

I do have another option...I have TYPHOON 2001 for the pc and I could put it in the cab. Mount a LCD monitor in it, I have an adaptor that will let me use the spinner, add a third button for the jump power-up, speakers on top for stereo sound, a subwoofer in bottom, add a jukebox program to play MP3s, headphone jack for late night playing...

• Like 1

I too have a Tempest. After having the screen sometimes half collapse, I finally did a re-cap to the monitor thinking this would solve the problem. When I put it back in I didn't have any picture at all, but everything else worked. When I rechecked all of the multi wire connections on the PCB's (this is still on the monitor only) I noticed one rocked back and fourth. I re-flowed the solder on the pin headers and my Tempest has worked perfectly ever since. I've had my Tempest since 2007 but only got it working 100% of time since this past November. Please double check your multi pin headers and reflow the solder on all of them. I hope that helps.

• Like 1

I too have a Tempest. After having the screen sometimes half collapse, I finally did a re-cap to the monitor thinking this would solve the problem. When I put it back in I didn't have any picture at all, but everything else worked. When I rechecked all of the multi wire connections on the PCB's (this is still on the monitor only) I noticed one rocked back and fourth. I re-flowed the solder on the pin headers and my Tempest has worked perfectly ever since. I've had my Tempest since 2007 but only got it working 100% of time since this past November. Please double check your multi pin headers and reflow the solder on all of them. I hope that helps.

I will have to try that…as soon as I replace the EPROM that I broke a pin off of while cleaning and re-seating it. :mad:

I do have another option...I have TYPHOON 2001 for the pc and I could put it in the cab. Mount a LCD monitor in it, I have an adaptor that will let me use the spinner, add a third button for the jump power-up, speakers on top for stereo sound, a subwoofer in bottom, add a jukebox program to play MP3s, headphone jack for late night playing...

What version of Typhoon 2001 do you have?

Also be aware that if you go through the special bonus round, the one where you fly over the stretched bitmap of Jupiter and have to go through the rings; the program crashes on the 2nd or 3rd try.

Too bad this is no longer in development.

I have a set of playlists specifically for this game that I jam though iTunes.

Also, why not make some sort of Ultra Tempest cabinet. Just use PC mobo and install Tempest, Tempest Tubes, Typhoon 2001 and any other Tempest variant you can think of? While this may detract from originality and the exact arcade feel - I think it's a great choice. The arcade experience we had as kids way back when is going to become more rare and difficult to experience because of failing hardware. We need modern solutions.

I think future efforts should go into using today's hardware to recreate the experience as best as possible. This enables other people get in on the action. Look at it this way. I can't help you troubleshoot this because I don't have schematics and an original board to refer to. But the opposite is true of PC hardware. Anybody can help anybody getting a contemporary mobo rolling.

Edited by Keatah

How can I tell? As far as I can remember, none of them are labeled or numbered. I'll have to pull the board out this evening.

I would need the location of the chip...I have the board with 10 chips by the ribbon cable labeled D1 thru R1. There is a version with only 6 chips. In that case, I might be able to copy your chip by soldering a leg where yours broke off.

What version of Typhoon 2001 do you have?

Also be aware that if you go through the special bonus round, the one where you fly over the stretched bitmap of Jupiter and have to go through the rings; the program crashes on the 2nd or 3rd try.

Too bad this is no longer in development.

I have a set of playlists specifically for this game that I jam though iTunes.

Also, why not make some sort of Ultra Tempest cabinet. Just use PC mobo and install Tempest, Tempest Tubes, Typhoon 2001 and any other Tempest variant you can think of? While this may detract from originality and the exact arcade feel - I think it's a great choice. The arcade experience we had as kids way back when is going to become more rare and difficult to experience because of failing hardware. We need modern solutions.

I think future efforts should go into using today's hardware to recreate the experience as best as possible. This enables other people get in on the action. Look at it this way. I can't help you troubleshoot this because I don't have schematics and an original board to refer to. But the opposite is true of PC hardware. Anybody can help anybody getting a contemporary mobo rolling.

There is 2 versions that I know of: .1 & .2. My plan is to use the original spinner so there won't be any vertical movement available. The bonus rounds will end quickly! I tried setting my graphic card to turn the screen vertical, 90 degrees, but Typhoon didn't like it. I mounted a 22" lcd monitor in the cab the other day, so now I have to put an older audio card in my computer that lets you drive speakers directly, on board amplifier.

The X-Y monitor that I took out sure is in nice shape, VERY faint burn-in on the scree!

Problem isn't in the monitor, when all's ok and with the monitor unplugged, the game will work! The spare board I have worked that way when I pulled it from a cab that had no monitor. I got to the next level playing blindly! The cone lights shouldn't come on at all when in normal operating mode, they flash when you coin up. Try this for me and power up your Tempest and then hit the service switch and let me know if the cone lights come on steady! Thanks, Rob

I would need the location of the chip...I have the board with 10 chips by the ribbon cable labeled D1 thru R1. There is a version with only 6 chips. In that case, I might be able to copy your chip by soldering a leg where yours broke off.

I am pulling the board tonight. I will report back with the location.

Can you snap a picture of the multi-pin headers? I just want to be sure where to look when I go poking around later this evening. Thanks!

There is 2 versions that I know of: .1 & .2. My plan is to use the original spinner so there won't be any vertical movement available. The bonus rounds will end quickly! I tried setting my graphic card to turn the screen vertical, 90 degrees, but Typhoon didn't like it. I mounted a 22" lcd monitor in the cab the other day, so now I have to put an older audio card in my computer that lets you drive speakers directly, on board amplifier.

The X-Y monitor that I took out sure is in nice shape, VERY faint burn-in on the scree!

The latest version I have is RELEASE 3991, it shows up in the bottom righthand corner.

Problem isn't in the monitor, when all's ok and with the monitor unplugged, the game will work! The spare board I have worked that way when I pulled it from a cab that had no monitor. I got to the next level playing blindly! The cone lights shouldn't come on at all when in normal operating mode, they flash when you coin up. Try this for me and power up your Tempest and then hit the service switch and let me know if the cone lights come on steady! Thanks, Rob

My Tempest is set to Free Play. The Cones flash in normal mode and in test mode.

I can burn you a copy of the eprom. Just let me know which one it is!

Here are the pics of the EPROM with the broken pin:

post-29022-0-68375100-1409626366_thumb.png

post-29022-0-69759100-1409626369_thumb.png

I have the board with 10 EPROMS, and this one is on the top of the row, with the board connection to the left (see pics).

Let me know if that is enough info. Thanks again!

Here are the pics of the EPROM with the broken pin:

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-09-01 at 10.51.52 PM.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-09-01 at 10.51.43 PM.png

I have the board with 10 EPROMS, and this one is on the top of the row, with the board connection to the left (see pics).

Let me know if that is enough info. Thanks again!

Looks like the chip that goes into socket P1, ROM 7. Are you missing the last one, R8?

Looks like the chip that goes into socket P1, ROM 7. Are you missing the last one, R8?

The only one that had a pin broken off is the one in the first photo. This was removed from the socket which is empty in the second photo (top left). I am not sure if that helps explain it. Let me know if I need to provide more detail when I get home. Thanks again!

The only one that had a pin broken off is the one in the first photo. This was removed from the socket which is empty in the second photo (top left). I am not sure if that helps explain it. Let me know if I need to provide more detail when I get home. Thanks again!

My chip is different! I'll pull out the other board tomorrow and check it. Could be a different version. There were three if I remember correctly.