IGNORED

New pacman for atari 2600

DINTAR816

After comparing the old versions to the latest, I still like the graphics of the small eyed ghosts. Too me they seem more expressive, and I find it easier to distinguish them as the graphics are flickering. Looking at the arcade version I can see why people want the ghosts to have big eyes, but to me it doesn't look as good on the 2600.

• Like 1

The eat pellet blue ghost time just gets shorter and shorter.

Doesn't the original give you a break in a higher level where ghosts stay blue for a longer time?

Also any consideration on the double orange, triple key, etc. sprite sheet I posted?

If it is too much to code in, I also noticed a version where the repeated level "fruit" was brighter the second time. As in 1st orange dim, 2nd orange bright.

I'm Buying both versions whatever you finish!

Very nice project. Having dabbled some with a pacman clone myself, the Pac-Man Dossier is a well studied page. :)

Just wondering, have you coded the angular "cornering" logic for Pacman? I always found this piece of information pretty fantastic for a game developed so early. Like being able to affect where the barrels roll down in Donkey Kong, these tidbits of code makes these games stand out from the crowd. No doubt these were also features that likely all the clones missed.

The new video AtariLeaf posted on YouTube has convinced me to try this game out. I've always been a big fan of Nukey Shay's Hack 'Em but this newest Pac-man port has intrigued me.

Glad to help and please don't anyone interpret my bad play as reflecting on the game. It's the Ouya controller, no really, I swear I'm not that bad at pacman :D

The walls in the T-squares do look a bit fat compared to 4k. There are obvious differences within the kernel. It seems like the dot patterns being offset by one playfield tile on the left/right sides of the maze when comparing the two versions. The shape of the 4k maze looks slightly better aesthetically than new pac, but everything else feels & sounds better in new pac. ;)

The walls in the T-squares do look a bit fat compared to 4k.

There's a way around that problem, but it would mean rewriting the dot positioning logic and maze playfield data (use the ball sprite for the center lines). AFAIK, only Coleco's Mouse Trap game uses this solution.

Optimally, you'd almost have to reduce the bitmaps of all sprites to be only 7 bits wide and include reflected versions of both left and right for when drawn on the right side of the screen. Then the ball sprite (when used as the center line of T's) would fall perfectly between 'em.

Edited by Nukey Shay

I LOVE Atari, but I HATE them. Because of Atari, the MONSTERS are commonly refered to as "Ghosts", the ENERGIZERS, are referred to as "Power Pills" or "Power Pellets". I am surprised "Multi-Vitamin" didn't catch on for the fruit.

Now that the 2600 is getting an arcade look and feel, we should refer to the characters as listed on the arcade machines! LOL.. :)

post-13491-0-27809900-1412091058_thumb.png

Ghosts don't have skin! (They are dressed like ghosts)

post-13491-0-31770600-1412091168_thumb.png

Edited by darryl1970
  • Like 6

I wish I could like the above post 1000 times. I've been saying this for years. :)

My best friend from Jr. High feels the same way (not on the forumns).. Since it's become so mainstream, we're kind of in the minority, but it is just good to know I am not alone. It's like nails on a chalkboard to me. (I know that makes me a little OCD)

It's great to see somebody as fired up as I am.. haha..

Edited by darryl1970
  • Like 1

If anything, we should stick to the Japanese original names. IIRC the "energizers" are called "power cookies" there.

And the "monsters" are based on Obake no Q-Taro, a Japanese cartoon "ghost" .

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 1

This thread is difficult to follow. The rom's are scattered all about, too. So is the OP still working in 4K?

DINTAR816 should probably edit his very first post and add a link to the reply that has the most recent version. He then just needs to update that link anytime he posts a new ROM.

To get the link, click on the #xxx in the upper right corner of the reply. This reply is #270 and clicking on it yields up this URL:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/229152-new-pacman-for-atari-2600/?p=3082779

As a reference, see my first post for Draconian.

Edited by SpiceWare

I had to travel way back in the dusty cobwebs of my memories and I remember being somewhat surprised they were called "ghosts" in the 2600 manual I got with my brand new VCS Pacman.

But I guess I never thought about it since the instructions in the arcade cabinets I would play, I couldn't read what the heck they were. :lol: Maybe someone can translate?

Namco_Museum_DS_-_Pac-Man_arcade_instruc

But whatever.. Ghosts. Monsters. Ghost-Monsters. All good to me. :P

• Like 1

If anything, we should stick to the Japanese original names. IIRC the "energizers" are called "power cookies" there.

And the "monsters" are based on Obake no Q-Taro, a Japanese cartoon "ghost" .

Valid point. I can respect. I grew up on the Midway version. It's the common reference to any machine found in the US.

I would hate to have a great version in the US not retain the accurate history. I admit that I was ignorant in the day. I thought Pac-Man was "Midway" game.. lol.

Would it be fair to save that for "Puck-Man" and refer to them as "Monsters" for "Pac-Man?" lol.

@NE146... Love the Japanese sticker. I would love to translate that!!!!

Strangely enough, I have a Hangly-Man cabaret, and all of the monsters (or Obake no Q-Taro?) have the Japanese names I belive (Oikake, Machibuse, etc.).. The artwork is US though.

I hate to hijack this forum though. I don't want to take away from this excellent work in progress too much..

---------------Update----------------

I ran the sticker through Google Translate, using my android phone. I highlighted different parts for translate.

"Monster" definitely came up in the Japanese sticker. So did "Animal" at one point.. lol.

post-13491-0-96863900-1412099530_thumb.png

Edited by darryl1970

"Monster" somehow seems so much more Japanese. I never really played it much, but didn't know they were officially called monsters. I suppose that since they look like typical (US-centric experience) cartoon ghosts, we in the ignorati would have by default called them ghosts.

Edited by BigO