IGNORED

sourcecode-structure (labelstyle)

Otto1980

Non clean coding give you two avantages :

- that was harder for ripper to use your code

- in some professionnal way, the company don't want to put you out, because they know they can't modify your code by themself, because they don't understand it !!! :D

The ripper will not have access to you source code so label names and comments mean nothing to them.

As for somebody else modifying you code, if you are working for a company you are all working together so other people fixing , modifying or expanding my code can be expected. If you start a project and make your code hard to read because you expect somebody else to take over your job then leave that company, your work will suffer.

With consoles the chances of people ( when the title is launched) hacking the game the was small , as they would have to decrypt the rom , alter the data , encrypt the rom and then try it. No security measure were needed to be added in to rom carts by developers compared to the 8 and 16 bit days.

• Like 3

The ripper will not have access...

..... your job then leave that company, your work will suffer.

Holy :-o if i would have such an employee he would not work in my company anymore..

also if i would know someone works with such practice i wouldnt arrange him

but the explanation of just doing it fast and dirty is for me the most plausible in this case (as we can also see in the result @ finishd game)

somewhere i read an interview with a CresGal Designer that told he had done a lot of renderet floating artwork/animation and in the final the took from e.g. 3 animationphases for huge bosses... quick n dirty

also the only "specialeffect" was a zoom in the intro and 1 kind of bird-enemy that zooms in

no other rotation/transparence/fade/zoomeffect etc :_(

My own code uses long labels: (snip from a bit of the U-235 SE source ;) )

They're pretty short compared to the ones I have in my source code.

Some Inty Rocketeer source code :-

mvi thePlayerState, r1
    addi #@@PlayerStateJumpTable, r1
    mvi@ r1, pc
@@PlayerStateJumpTable:
    DECLE @@PlayerStateIsNormal
    DECLE @@PlayerStateIsDyingPhase1
    DECLE @@PlayerStateIsDyingPhase2
    DECLE @@PlayerStateIsLaunching

; The player is normal.
@@PlayerStateIsNormal:
    mvii #PlayerSpriteStopSequence, r3
    mvo r3, thePlayerDataPtr
    mvii #PLAYER_STEP_IN_Y_DIRECTION, r3   ; Set +ve Y delta

; Copy current player coordinates.
    mvi thePlayerX, r4
    mvo r4, theOldX
    mvi thePlayerY, r5
    mvo r5, theOldY
Let the label length wars begin! :rolling:
  • Like 3

Png_main_bcl:
	jsr	Read_chunk(pc)

cmp.l	#"IDAT",(a1)
	bne.s	Pas_chunk_idat

; ************************************************************

tst.b	First_idat_flag
	bne.s	Pas_first_idat_donc_pac_recopie

move.l	Pointer(pc),a2		; Data size
	move.l	a2,Gluing_adr
	add.l	Chunk_length(pc),a2	; Chunk size, because we don't recopy first one

st	First_idat_flag

bra.s	Exit_read_idat
Pas_first_idat_donc_pac_recopie:

move.l	Pointer(pc),a0
	move.l	Glue_pnt(pc),a2

move.l	Chunk_length(pc),d7

subq.l	#1,d7

Copy_idat_data_to_p_datastream:	
	move.b	(a0)+,(a2)+

subq.l	#1,d7
	bpl.s	Copy_idat_data_to_p_datastream

Exit_read_idat:

Taken from the C.V.S.D Png unpacking routine :)

(Some are english and french mixed together :P )

• Like 3

Back in the day labels were short. Some assemblers limited you to 8 characters. Devpac was the first one I remember breaking this limit. Atari's tools were primitive command line style stuff. Devpac was light years ahead. I did Evolution Dinodudes on a TT using Devpac for the text editor but I have no recollection on debugging on that game. That was in the days when I shared a PC with the guy who did Raiden. I think he was using a Falcon. We used the PC for tools such as sprite editing ,map layout and file compression. Then we used floppys to copy the data back to our machines. The Brainstorm tools chain was a god send compared to the previous Atari tools and by then we each had our own PC :D

• Like 5

I used Devpac for all my Amiga programming. 100% assembly was were it was at in until sometime around the mid to late 90s. I don't think I wrote anything in C until about 97 or 98. :D

Devpac has the most awesome debugger built in. It was easy to just walk through your code.

I actually had two versions of Devpac: the regular one, and one I hacked myself to support the 68060.

Edited by Chilly Willy
  • Like 2

Back in the day labels were short. Some assemblers limited you to 8 characters. Devpac was the first one I remember breaking this limit. Atari's tools were primitive command line style stuff. Devpac was light years ahead. I did Evolution Dinodudes on a TT using Devpac for the text editor but I have no recollection on debugging on that game. That was in the days when I shared a PC with the guy who did Raiden. I think he was using a Falcon. We used the PC for tools such as sprite editing ,map layout and file compression. Then we used floppys to copy the data back to our machines. The Brainstorm tools chain was a god send compared to the previous Atari tools and by then we each had our own PC :D

Wow! impressive I Raiden is cool I would love to see a CD version with more levels and CD audio ... what happend with the Raiden en Dino sources, I never did see them around...

Wow! impressive I Raiden is cool I would love to see a CD version with more levels and CD audio ... what happend with the Raiden en Dino sources, I never did see them around...

I am surprised to learn the I-war code is out there as it if I am right , it did not belong to Atari. Imagitec got bought out by Gremiln Graphics and in turn by Infogrammes which is now Atari !!. When a game was finished they wanted the ability to rebuild the rom image so source and data was provided. Evolution DinoDudes was supplied in password protected zips :P that's was me being cheeky ( and I think I still know the passwords) . Bubsy and IWar were not protected. Bubsy was the property of Accolade so I guess they own the source and Raiden is Taito. I guess those companies would protect their IP. I have the sources to versions of Bubsy and IWar but they might not be the final versions and as I am not authorised to distribute them I have no interest in getting into a legal mess.

I doubt you would get any joy. DinoDudes / The Humans was released on PC and DS a couple of years back as The Humans : Meet the Ancestors! which may be the same game logic ( converted from assembler to c/c++ ) . I cannot see companies handing out the secrets of how their games tic. IP is king.

Blue Monkey Studios who did the new version is a studio set up by the then owner of Imagitec Design. He might hold the rights to IWar too

Edited by Seedy1812

• 5 months later...

I am surprised to learn the I-war code is out there as it if I am right , it did not belong to Atari. Imagitec got bought out by Gremiln Graphics and in turn by Infogrammes which is now Atari !!. When a game was finished they wanted the ability to rebuild the rom image so source and data was provided. Evolution DinoDudes was supplied in password protected zips :P that's was me being cheeky ( and I think I still know the passwords) . Bubsy and IWar were not protected. Bubsy was the property of Accolade so I guess they own the source and Raiden is Taito. I guess those companies would protect their IP. I have the sources to versions of Bubsy and IWar but they might not be the final versions and as I am not authorised to distribute them I have no interest in getting into a legal mess.

Huh that is cool! Can respect that. Thanks for quoting what Bubsy code you did post. We'll get that wascally bobcat yet little by little! :D

As for legal stuff on Bubsy, hard to say. I contacted the current Atari legal team a few years back to find out:

1) Do they have the rights to Bubsy

2) Could I get permission to sell Bubsy merchandise.

Talked to them for a while, and though Atari aquired Accolade the Atari lawyers couldn't find that they had rights to Bubsy.. which was Accolade.

Weird stuff. Thanked them for looking, moved on. :P