IGNORED

GB Color Games

TPA5

The only thing I am debating now is if I want to try and add a backlight to this system, or should I just grab an old-fashioned wormlight? Part of me likes the idea of a slick backlight, but I don't know if I really want to pull the unit apart to install it.

The GBC can't be backlit because of how the LCD screen works, it either has to be frontlit or you have to use an external light.

The GBC can't be backlit because of how the LCD screen works, it either has to be frontlit or you have to use an external light.

Yes, you are correct. Sorry my bad, I was typing too fast earlier and wasn't paying attention.

Bionic Commando: Elite Forces is a lot of fun, such a shame that there's a game breaking bug that causes the game to freeze. Easiest way I found to get past this was to just never save the game. Still worth it, even with the bug.

There are two ways to get around this bug.

1) Play the game on a real Game Boy Color. The bug will not occur; it only happens on Game Boy Advance, Advance SP, or Game Boy Player systems (in that last case, because the GB Player has a GBA inside, essentially).

2) If playing on a GBA-line system, when you turn on the system power with the game in, do the following:

A) Note: You must do this EVERY time you turn on the system, or else the bug will happen. It won't save the fixed status after you power it off.

B) Turn on the system and start a new game (don't load your file).

C) Get game over as quickly as you can and return to the main menu (don't continue).

D) Now load your save file and play the game. The crash bug will not occur.

Yes, really, that's what you have to do. I don't know why it works, but it does! BC: EF is one of the very best games on the GBC, so don't let this bug stop anyone from playing this amazing, amazing game.

I have one, actually. I just like playing GBC games on an actual unit. Yeah, I'm weird I know, it's a geek thing I guess.

Other than not having to deal with the BC: EF crash bug, there are several other good reasons to have a real GBC!

First, the GBA makes GBC game colors darker than they look on most GBCs. You can see this in many games, but BC:EF is a good example; the colors are noticeably darker on a GBA than they are on a GBC. The lighter palette of the GBC is how games are supposed to look, and you'll never see it on a GBA.

And second, the GBA doesn't have the IR port, if you actually want to use that functionality sometime.

Edited by A Black Falcon
  • Like 1

There are two ways to get around this bug.

1) Play the game on a real Game Boy Color. The bug will not occur; it only happens on Game Boy Advance, Advance SP, or Game Boy Player systems (in that last case, because the GB Player has a GBA inside, essentially).

Odd. I always had the bug occur using my GBC back in the day.

First, the GBA makes GBC game colors darker than they look on most GBCs. You can see this in many games, but BC:EF is a good example; the colors are noticeably darker on a GBA than they are on a GBC. The lighter palette of the GBC is how games are supposed to look, and you'll never see it on a GBA.

That's why you use a GBA SP....

• Like 1

One of my favorite GBC games was Warlocked. It was a RTS, and it was actually damn good. Like Dragons lair, one of the reasons I got it was the "it can't be done" mentality of everybody at the time. That game was also pretty good (dragons lair i mean) That, and I loved RTS games, and it totally reminded me of Warcraft (the originals, not the "world of" series)

GBC was an amazing handheld,and had tons of games that just blew me away, and I still love them, I was so disappointed when Nintendo discontinued BC support for this system in the DS line (while the GBA was awesome, till the DS I actually played more DMG/GBC than GBA)

Edited by Video
  • Like 1

That's why you use a GBA SP....

No, the problem is the same on any GBA model, whether it is the original one, the SP, or the GB Player. You'll just have more brightly lit screen behind those darker colors on the SP or Player; the actual darker colors are the same. It's a color issue, not brightness.

Odd. I always had the bug occur using my GBC back in the day.

That's strange, for me it only happens on GBAs. Regardless, the solution there should definitely work.

These are awesome suggestions guys, I'm pumped to start picking these up and digging into them! Thanks so much for the awesome responses, this is helping me build my purchase list. (Although, I doubt my wife would as thankful to your suggestions!)

The only thing I am debating now is if I want to try and add a backlight to this system, or should I just grab an old-fashioned wormlight? Part of me likes the idea of a slick backlight, but I don't know if I really want to pull the unit apart to install it.

The GBC happens to be my all time favorite handheld system and this is an issue I mulled over for quite a while before coming to a decision. My advice would be to stick with the worm light for night time GBC play sessions. As others have mentioned the GBC can't be backlit, but it can be front lit by installing a front light kit from the original AGS-001 model GBA SP in it. The big problem with that modification is that the front light tints everything a light blueish color and really interferes with the nice sharp color definition of the GBC. There are third party front light kits available for the GBC but all of them that have been produced so far have very poor transparency and will make the pixels on the actual screen look all fuzzy; so your best bet is probably to just stick with the worm light.

As far as other good GBC games that haven't been mentioned yet, I'd recommend:

Aliens: Thanatos Encounter

Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare (possibly the most graphically impressive game on the GBC, and a solid survival horror title)

Centipede (Not a fantastic port, but still fun to play for Centipede fans)

Harvest Moon / 2 / 3 GBC

Marble Madness

Resident Evil: Gaiden

Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider: Curse of the Sword

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (If you like skateboarding games)

Edited by Jin