IGNORED

5200 Start button problem?

eebuckeye

I got a very slightly used Atari 5200 console with two joysticks that look very lightly used. Somehow both start buttons give me problems with the controllers. I used the eraser trick on both controllers Start Pause Reset buttons. The pause and reset seem to work fine but Start rarely ever works on BOTH controllers. I tried them on another console that has had other joysticks work without problem and get the same thing.

What else can I do to get the start buttons to work?? Pretty useless when I can't start a game with them.. ARGH!?!?!

I have a controller that seems to work decent so I tried it on both consoles and the Start button worked perfectly!

Please help!

Thank you!

Edited by eebuckeye

What else can I do to get the start buttons to work?? Pretty useless when I can't start a game with them.. ARGH!?!?!

Welcome to one of the defining (and lingering traumatic experiences) memories of my 5200 childhood. :lol: Oh to have games and a nice console and to not be able to play them.. I want my Joust!

Nah but seriously, If cleaning the button contacts/tinfoil etc aren't working I think today you can still get replacement parts (e.g. the Flex circuit) at Best: http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/cx52_j.htm

• Like 1