IGNORED

Does anyone remember how to manage a ProLine BBS?

FozzTexx

I'm running a ProLine BBS on my Apple IIgs (http://bbs.fozztexx.com) and I keep running into problems with not knowing how to do things. The PDF manaul that came with ProLine has lots and lots of info, but doesn't describe how to do some really basic things.

A current problem I'm having is there seems to be no way to reset a user's password! The documentation says just use the passwd command as root, but uh, there is no root user. I've tried it logged in as the sysop account and it doesn't work.

Another problem is the message board conference system is extremely clunky. None of my users can figure out how to join the message boards, and even less can figure out how to post a message. Did anyone ever make a different message board system that is simply menu driven like a normal BBS?

I also can't find a way to break in and chat with someone while they're online! It's not a BBS if you can't jump in and freak people out by chatting with them. So far all I can do is bang my way through the menu system and go to the chat. Again, very crude and when the user doesn't realize what's going on they keep choosing different menus while I'm trying to get to the chat.

If anyone out there used to (or still does) run a ProLine BBS, I'd love to hear from you!