IGNORED

Ti-99/4a equivalent to Coco's KickStart

UKRetrogamer

I have a Cloud-9 SuperIDE for my Tandy Coco and use SideKick to browse drives/folders and then execute programs directly from a two-panel menu, using just the cursor keys and Enter.

This tool makes the job of finding and running programs on a solid-state, multi-drive interface an absolute breeze.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFiyvAjtW0o

Is there a Ti-99/4a equivalent tool for use with the CF7+/nanoPEB or are there hardware limitations which prevent such a program being written to work with these devices?

I understand each drive has to be mounted individually with the "CALL MOUNT" command but couldn't such a program successively mount/unmount disk images as the user browses?

I love my nanoPEB but having to juggle disk images bearing in mind the Ti's (comparatively) rudimentary disk-management tools gets old very quickly, especially when I haven't used the Ti for a while and I've forgotten which image number holds the game I want to play.

Is such a program an impossibility on the Ti?

Edited by UKRetrogamer

I produced a similar manager in an updated console GROM set (SOB) long time ago:

OPAMicroManager-300x229.jpg

And been also looking at ways to improved the CF device, with even launching a 'boot-up' replacement menu/os on TI99 startup similar to how I did the Horizon ramdisk.

The updated RAMOS, I plan to release this year complete with full source code, so others can improve on it:

Ramos.jpg

But for now CF2K is best option, plus Rich has been doing a 'nice loading manager' in his RXB 2014, so that will be handy also!

Edited by Gary from OPA
  • Like 2