IGNORED

Frankodragon's Blog Stuffs - My Experience Making an Original Xbox Eepr

RSS Bot

There are many tutorials describing on how to make an eeprom reader for the original Xbox console and then there are readers you can buy. So thinking after all the projects I've fried over the years, maybe it was better to buy one. Problem is I could get one overseas and pay $20+ for one and maybe use it a few times. So I went ahead and built one following the schematics from this diagram:

So to build one, you need: two 3.9K resistors; two 5.1V Zener Diodes, wire, electrical tape or liquid (which I prefer) soldering iron and solder (flux also helps) and one 9 pin db female plug socket. You also need the program PonyProg and an older computer with a COM port. There is a COM to USB cable but some say those aren't reliable.

Now be sure the ends of the zeners are correct and double check all of your connections. Again, DOUBLE CHECK YOUR CONNECTIONS!

Here's mine and although it's ugly as hell, it works:

Before you get more involved, if you have a BROKEN XBOX motherboard, then you need to solder an external 5V power supply. I don't know where to but these instructions are for a WORKING motherboard.

So with everything soldered and with PonyProg installed (I use an old Dell machine with Windoze XP) the hardest part was making sure the wire leads were in the right places in one hand so they don't move around while starting the readout on the machine in the other.

But wait! According to the schematic above (where I drew a red "X") you have to get the Ground lead onto that socket. Nothing worked. So I was about to give up and probably start a fried electronics graveyard or something. But then I've seen a YouTube video of someone who used the ground wire to touch the side of the housing grill instead. I wrapped the ground wire around that and finally got a reading from the eeprom.

(It's hard to see but there's a wire wrapped around the grill on the left.)

Keep in mind you may need to hold the wires in place while getting PonyProg to read several times before you get a reading. Better yet, have someone help you. Have them get the reading while you hold the wires down. After that you should get your XBOX serial number in the reading and then save the file as eeprom.bin.

I hope this solves that confusion in which others may have had trying to get their eeproms read with little or no luck.

Attached thumbnail(s)
  • blogentry-18158-0-64363800-1409106895_th
  • blogentry-18158-0-39019000-1409107277_th
  • blogentry-18158-0-44828100-1409107582_th
  • blogentry-18158-0-58866500-1409107609_th

http://atariage.com/forums/blog/474/entry-11266-my-experience-making-an-original-xbox-eeprom-reader/