IGNORED

Relational database for the Atari 800

fibrewire

I got a moment to speak with Kathy Forte, who in 1980 worked as the lead developer of a relational database for the Atari 800. This was in the Home Computer Division when Roger Badertscher was president. There were five people designing and coding the product, but the software never made it to market. This project predates the RDBMS/AT in BASIC by Allen Leigh by at least 5 years, and dispels doubt about a real database application running on the 8-bit Atari.

Who here has questions for Kathy?

• Like 1

Interesting. MK-Soft had one RDB running back in 1985...

The impressive thing was that it really was fast, compared to "other" computers. Written in compiled PASCAL , the Screen had to be turned of while the sorting algorithm was working, and the storing device was -ofcourse- a (several) 1050 . It's been used for storing the music Titles on cassettes with the side and tape-counter, to find them again.

It's btw. one of those "hooks" that won't let me drop the A8.

• Like 1

Not to drift to much, I found the HomePak database kind of cute circa 1984. It's isn't exactly Google Search of course. It works OK within the limits of an 8 bit. It's easy to build a data base like who lives where and what characteristics they have i.e. male/female, birthday, what computer they use.

Recently I did a bit of design work for a small DB system on the Atari, using xBIOS.

I didn't start coding, but I had the ideas there. I reckon that it could be coded in a very small amount of space.

The last thing that I was trying to consider was how to get it running equally whether the DB was in memory or on disk.

Not to drift to much, I found the HomePak database kind of cute circa 1984. It's isn't exactly Google Search of course. It works OK within the limits of an 8 bit. It's easy to build a data base like who lives where and what characteristics they have i.e. male/female, birthday, what computer they use.

I don't know if Synapse 'Synfile' is a relational db. I still have it, never used it. The spreadsheet, 'Visicalc', I used a lot to keep my class grades. I used 'PCFILE' on the DOS PC for when I got around to keeping

an address/phone database. Still use PCFILE in DOSBOX.

Edited by russg

• 4 years later...

I think we may be in luck here. Just need to get an SIO2SD so I can create disk images and upload it.

An alternative way is if you have a blank disk you can copy it (assuming there is no copy-protection; probably not) and send the copy to one of us with an SIO2SD, we can make an ATR of it.

Allan

If anyone wants to volunteer to receive a copy of this disk and post the images, I'm happy to send it if you provide a mailing address. It's two sided, the front has the main files (the .V1 files are LISTed Atari Basic code), and the documentation is on the back.

-Jason

An alternative way is if you have a blank disk you can copy it (assuming there is no copy-protection; probably not) and send the copy to one of us with an SIO2SD, we can make an ATR of it.

Allan

Allan has offered to make disk images and post them here. Don't worry, I'm sending him copies of this original disk and the original will be kept safe.

I never imagined that a box of old "disk of the month" disks from my days at Frederick Atari Computer Enthusiasts held a long lost item people were interested in.

-Jason

Whereabouts are you located? There might be someone close to you so that you don't have to risk mailing it.

Edited by jnharmon
  • Like 3

That's what most folks don't realize, everybody has something in that pile of 'old disks' be it something to verify against the rest, a different revision or version, or simply a piece of software we simply don't have or sometimes didn't know existed, sometimes it's just a file, one program on a disk full of school work or bbs downloads etc that makes all the difference.

• Like 7

Allan has offered to make disk images and post them here. Don't worry, I'm sending him copies of this original disk and the original will be kept safe.

I never imagined that a box of old "disk of the month" disks from my days at Frederick Atari Computer Enthusiasts held a long lost item people were interested in.

-Jason

Please copy the rest of your disks as well. There could be some other jems in there.

Allan

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With a big thanks to Allan for transferring my disks to images, here is Allen Leigh's RDBMS project. The programs are in LISTed BASIC format.

The Allen Leigh project is lost, but there is still some info here:

http://www.megalextoria.com/forum2/index.php?t=msg&goto=112062&

Would be awesome if someday a copy pops up just to see what it looks like.

I always thought such databases should exist in A8, but never found one. Today with all the fast and big memory and storage it would be awesome if someone could build such project to up-to-date hardware.

RDBMS_A.atr

RDBMS_B_Docs.atr

Edited by jnharmon
  • Like 6

Interesting. MK-Soft had one RDB running back in 1985...

The impressive thing was that it really was fast, compared to "other" computers. Written in compiled PASCAL , the Screen had to be turned of while the sorting algorithm was working, and the storing device was -ofcourse- a (several) 1050 . It's been used for storing the music Titles on cassettes with the side and tape-counter, to find them again.

It's btw. one of those "hooks" that won't let me drop the A8.

sounds like you have a copy, did you place it here or is it located some where for download?

the search still continues for the DataBase that Kathy mentioned...

Edited by _The Doctor__