IGNORED

Odyssey 2 differences

Zap!

This might also put a wrench in the works. My first OD2 that I got as a kid back in 1979 had hardwired controllers that were grey/sliver. Not the black controllers which are commonly associated which the hardwired OD2 models. Unfortunately, I no longer have the particular OD2. I got rid of it in 1989 when I got my SEGA Genesis. The OD2 that I use today does have hardwired controllers that are grey/sliver, but I made them that way as I was never able to find another OD2 console that came with hardwired grey/sliver controllers. :(

Here you can find a nice overview on different joystick models: http://www.the-nextlevel.com/odyssey2/collect/hardware/peripherals/index.php

It's not complete because you also have duo coloured controllers. Here is a picture from the videopac.nl forum with a selection of odyssey2/videopac controllers. Top left are o3 controllers.

post-5654-0-68687800-1410074890_thumb.jpg

Edited by Seob

Not O² or Videopac related really, but looking at this page, reminds me that the O² joysticks were also used for the Thomson computers (and I think the Philips VG5000 computer but that's less of a surprise).

thomson_to7_joy-interface.jpg

Module and joystick. The module also exists in COM style plug version, and use the Videopac pinout standard, not computer standard.

cimg4043.jpg

As you can notice, it's an all-beige variant that doesn't seems to have been used for the Videopac or O² consoles.

IMHO, I always thought the OD2 controllers were under rated. I hated the atari 2600 joysticks from back in the day, but I always liked my OD2 sticks. I like the smoothness of the stick movement itself and the longer movement needed to make it work. It feels like I'm actually moving something, where as the 2600 style never felt like it moved at all.

• Like 1

Same.

The Channel F controllers are awesome too, and the Astrocade ones seems to be nice too (but I didn't get my Bally working yet so I can't test them).

I'll never understand people that take the CX-40 controller as the best. It's stiff and awkward to handle. I know, there is a sentimental value to it, and it's not the worse you can think of, but come on. They are flawed.

Even Ataki aknowledged it by selling accessories for it. I use the Atari 7800 gamepads for playing my 2600 games, except for some games that have been made with the stiffness of the CX-40 sticks in mind and get harder to play with the 7800 pads. (of course I don't mention games made for the paddle or the racer controllers, or the keypad controllers, etc...)

Overall, the O² ones are good. I think they are a bit imprecise and have a bit too much range, and get a bit unresponsive nowaday, but heh. They are 30 years old.

Edited by CatPix

Huh, I didn't know that there were O2 controllers with square bounds... that would be kind of annoying, the ridged bound on the stick really makes a lot of the games easier to play. Blockout/Breakdown would be particularly hard with a square bound... or anything else like that one that uses the angles like that. Seeing the variety of controller variations is cool, though. I have the normal kind in the upper right. It's a pretty decent controller, for the time. Handles well.

The Voice price might be close to reasonable. The O2 price is WAY out of line. $40-$60 complete should be closer to the norm.

I actually got my O2 at that same store, a couple of years ago now I think... it was $50, loose (though with the original power supply and RFU), with seven complete but common games. Yeah, I could have gotten it for a bit less online, but it wasn't too bad, and buying local means easier returns if you have a problem with it... though the O2's been fine, no trouble at all (unlike my 2600 and 7800...). Edited by A Black Falcon

• 2 years later...

Okay, why is there no built-in power on/off button on the original PAL Videopac G7000? Who's idea was that!? Also, does the G7200 also lack a built-in on/off button, or does it have one?

Because you where not suppost to leave the Videopac connected to the mains when not in use. They adviced that you put the videopac back into the box when you didn't use it. So i guess that's the reason there is no powerbutton on the system. They could save a few cents this way i guess.

You can hotswap games on the videopac, after you swapped a game, all you need to do is to hit the reset button.

I think this is the best part of the videopac. It's error proof for kids. If they forget to turn of the system and swap the game, noting is going to blow up.