IGNORED

Xtra-Ram 2MB install in 1040STFM questions

eebuckeye

I got a Frontier XTRA-ram 2MB for my 1040STFM and have a few problems/questions to know if I should continue with it.. help would be greatly appreciated!

1) The 1040STFM has 1MB of ram installed already (obviously). Do I need to upgrade to 2MB to fully use Cosmos Ex? I want to make sure before I clip resistors, etc... that are needed to install the memory upgrade.

2) Has anyone ever installed this upgrade in a 1040STFM? I contacted Stfreakz and he said it is difficult to fit in a 1040STFM. The users manual does not even show the motherboard I have (pictures are attached).

3) Are there any other memory upgrades I should consider for the 1040STFM instead of this one which is huge?

4) Should I get a 540ST instead and use this upgrade?

Thank you!

post-25646-0-74925000-1409753586_thumb.jpg

post-25646-0-63798200-1409753588_thumb.jpg

post-25646-0-81400000-1409753590_thumb.jpg

Would the upgrade work in a 520ST though?

If you consider going to the trouble getting another machine just to do this upgrade, you may as well just get an STE which means simply adding SIMMs which takes a couple of minutes.

Incomplete instructions sounds a little risky though... there's plenty of revisions and configurations of ST machines out there.

You want at least 2MB RAM for anything that involves hard drive storage. 1MB might increase your disk software library a bit and reduce loading times for a few games, but I wouldn't trust it for anything else.

My guess is that you would need to disable the on-board 1MB and just use the 2MB on the upgrade kit. With the 520 model, you can use both sets of RAM for 2.5 MB in total.

The Marpet XTra-RamST Deluxe works perfect with any (M)ST(f).

Four slots for a whopping 4mb worth of simm on this card. Worked perfect with a T36 accelerator.

Pretty simple, two clips over the MMU and Shifter, snip here and there and one wire to solder.

MSTE's are really nice, but fall short when it comes to complete backward compability with early TOS programs.

With the ST, you won't be sticking disk in looking for one that will play :)

Pulled out the Marpet manual, on the back it states in April of 1992, Marpet purchased the rights to the computer range of products previously manufactured and marketed by Frontier Software.

Here are some shots showing the installation on my M/B.

Then and now am a dirt bike mechanic. Slowly, over the 22 years since this install have released enough smoke from Atari related devices to consider myself experienced.

Who knows, if as Brad said, there were issues with the Frontier cards that long ago.

The Marpet version I have is still shuffling bits and bytes as it did on it’s initial power up in 1992.

The installation is entirely reversible. Just don’t solder your testicles to the board :)

post-19354-0-33708300-1409809731_thumb.jpg

post-19354-0-33638600-1409809753_thumb.jpg

post-19354-0-68892900-1409809773_thumb.jpg

post-19354-0-79365600-1409810129_thumb.jpg

MSTE's are really nice, but fall short when it comes to complete backward compability with early TOS programs.

With the ST, you won't be sticking disk in looking for one that will play :)

How you dare to talk against MSTEs ? :-D

Compatibility problems are caused by TOS 2.06. HW self is very-very compatible. Then, Mega STE is not intended as gaming machine - it was made rather for serious usage, and most of them was equipped with hard disk by factory. What means that today even bigger % has some mass storage. Ah, and considering RAM expansion - it's piece of cake, as it is in STEs.

And when you have 4MB RAM in machine (after 5 minutes spent to put 30 pin SIMs in) you can run practically everything. And there is space to load some older TOS for SW not liking 2.06 .

Btw. no Atari what can run every crappy made SW. For instance, GFA Artist runs only on German TOS 1.00 . Lot of stupid SW runs only with 512K or 1MB RAM, but not with more. Should we not expand RAM because of such crap :P

I'd never trash ANYTHING even remotely related to Atari hardware |:)

I'm fortunate enough to test with 1040STf, Mega ST4, MSTE, Falcon, TT, Milan, AB040, CT60, MagiCMac, with so many tentacles expanding to other devices, it’s like a ballet in a bowl of spaghetti :P

Would never return in time to change the purchase of our first STfm back in 1988, and the history which the brand has embedded within aspects of our lives near daily basis since :grin:

• Like 1

Hi.I believe i have the same motherboard as pictured(rev B).I also have a Marpet memory upgrade i'd like to install to my STf but i thought it was a more straightforward process.Just install the MMU and VideoShifter thingies,solder ground somewhere and done.
I see some extra resistor work at the 2nd picture.Could you explain what is it and if/how i need to do it?I was going to give it a go this weekend but i want to be sure to know what to do before doing it!
Thanks a lot!

Edited by belzrebuth

Pulled out the Marpet manual, on the back it states in April of 1992, Marpet purchased the rights to the computer range of products previously manufactured and marketed by Frontier Software.

Here are some shots showing the installation on my M/B.

Then and now am a dirt bike mechanic. Slowly, over the 22 years since this install have released enough smoke from Atari related devices to consider myself experienced.

Who knows, if as Brad said, there were issues with the Frontier cards that long ago.

The Marpet version I have is still shuffling bits and bytes as it did on it’s initial power up in 1992.

The installation is entirely reversible. Just don’t solder your testicles to the board :)

Thanks for the pictures!I have a TYPE I motherboard (i believe yours is type III or something) and the exact same memory upgrade (MP210A).Since both these motherboard types use the same resistor cutting procedure i did what you posted above (without pic 2 i didn't quite get that. solder pin9 where?).

The pdf instruction manual is very clear about this but my STf won't boot.It powers on and then nothing ,no orange light.Could you have any clue why?Could be the pin 9 thing or something else?I believe both sockets were fitted as tight as it gets.

I'd really appreciate a little help.

In the meantime i reversed the whole process to see if i broke anything but my ST works fine, i'd love to have 4 megs though..

Edited by belzrebuth

Thanks for the pictures!I have a TYPE I motherboard (i believe yours is type III or something) and the exact same memory upgrade (MP210A).Since both these motherboard types use the same resistor cutting procedure i did what you posted above (without pic 2 i didn't quite get that. solder pin9 where?).

The pdf instruction manual is very clear about this but my STf won't boot.It powers on and then nothing ,no orange light.Could you have any clue why?Could be the pin 9 thing or something else?I believe both sockets were fitted as tight as it gets.

I'd really appreciate a little help.

In the meantime i reversed the whole process to see if i broke anything but my ST works fine, i'd love to have 4 megs though..

Been away, give me some time to reinstall the upgrade onto the ST. It was removed some time ago, the modifications are intact still.