IGNORED

Is there a H.E.R.O II out there somewhere?

wongojack

Like maybe some PC version that someone cooked up at some point?

HERO is awesome and needs a sequel or a rebirth in a bad way. It could become more like Montezuma's Rev or Metroid where you need to find certain items to progress through the mine. . . . flares, different bombs, scuba, f'ing spider robots. This game is just begging for an update. Why not have it be for the 7800?

Well, that video sure does not look like more fun than any other version I've played. It also seems to just be a re-skinned version of the game. I think I would call that game "Splosions are Cool!" Because they seemed to really love slow unnecessary explosions. I'll probably check it out anyway.

• Like 1

It also seems to just be a re-skinned version of the game.

For the most part it probably is...

Off the bat, not sure if you noticed, when you blow up a wall, you sometimes need to watch for fallen rocks from passages above.

It actually seems like a pretty neat idea and a possible addition/upgrade (hack) for other ports.

Definitely nothing revolutionary and the extended delay for waiting for a wall explosion to be "safe" to pass can be frustrating; however, the updated graphics and sound is pretty nice. The majority of the classic gameplay remains in tact (For better or worse - depending on perspective). ;)

• Like 1

I got around to finally downloading the PC version. It was one of those minefiled websites where you've got to find the "real" link amidst all the junk AND you must use a social media account to download it. Ugh. In the comments of that page there is a reference to another game called Cave Heros that seems to be just a 1 off effort by this guy: http://blog.spacefractal.com/pc-apps/

However the DL link doesn't work. I'm contacting him to find out if he can send me a copy.

I found a game called Dark Caves for the C64 that I'd never heard of. Reviews suggest it is fun but not the same. http://www.gb64.com/game.php?id=1965

I got around to finally downloading the PC version. It was one of those minefiled websites where you've got to find the "real" link amidst all the junk AND you must use a social media account to download it. Ugh. In the comments of that page there is a reference to another game called Cave Heros that seems to be just a 1 off effort by this guy...I found a game called Dark Caves for the C64 that I'd never heard of. Reviews suggest it is fun but not the same. http://www.gb64.com/game.php?id=1965

I downloaded the H.E.R.O. remake a while back. Pretty sure it's stand-alone, so I can just zip and upload it for you to try. I'll attempt to get around to it tonight.

I have (and forgot about) Dark Caves. Played it several times via WinVice. It is fun, but I do like H.E.R.O. better. However, that may be more nostalgia talking rather than one being better or worse than the other:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qePajUZyAV8

• Like 1

I downloaded the H.E.R.O. remake a while back. Pretty sure it's stand-alone, so I can just zip and upload it for you to try. I'll attempt to get around to it tonight.

I got the one you linked working in Windows XP sp2 compat mode. Looks like it was part of a contest which explains the reskin. Its just too slow descending to put up with for long. However, there could be some good ideas in there for a remake.

• Like 1

UPDATE - Dark Caves is very fun. I would easily recommend it to any fan of HERO. I played it for hours this weekend in VICE and still didn't reach the puzzle stage. And that was a good thing.

Cave Heros is really impressive. It was written with the BlitzMax Basic-spinoff game language. It allows for simple .png files to be used as the maps which is awesome. I guess I'll have to try a trial of paint shop or something to make some of my own levels. I was also looking at the BlitzMax code and it looks very straightforward. I might take a stab at adding some new features or something. Anyone ever used BlitzMax? Also, what are all the cool kids using these days as a paint shop alternative in Windows?

Perhaps this thread really doesn't belong in the 7800 forum. Suggest a Mod move it to "classic gaming general."

• 4 years later...

We are making a 3d, modern looking version right now inspired by HERO. It's called Herovania and is a work-in-progress. But good news is there's a downloadable version here which is made in just 5 days with Unreal Engine 4. It's a bit challenging right now and could use your feedback to improve.

Download link

Some screenshots:

Herovania02.thumb.jpg.e451f855b5e98c3112529747c2855b39.jpgHerovania03.thumb.jpg.983d664dcd1f92fee119608217d341b9.jpgHerovania04.thumb.jpg.841a5bb5370a2e9a49b2e5577bd82d73.jpg

And a trailer:

There's a dedicated page for it here in atariage:

Herovania - A game inspired by Atari game Hero

Some other links in social media:

Twitter

Facebook

Youtube

Official site

Edited by Herovania
  • Like 3