IGNORED

Ghostbusters (SMS) VS Ghostbusters (NES)

The SMS version looks good, but what is the matter with a bunch of ghosts at each house? The video conveniently cuts so you don't get to see a full scene of ghost catching on the SMS. I had to look up another video to see that you somehow force all the ghosts together and then release the trap to catch the "complete ghost". It also seems like a huge flickerfest when comes to displaying all ghosts, busters and beams together, or perhaps those uploading videos had technical issues? Another interesting note is that the SMS version appears to allow you to visit the shop and equip your car after the game started. It makes up for a quite different game than the C64/Atari/Apple etc versions of the old days, as in those versions you need to buy the items you can afford to start with, not add later on when you have the financial means. You also have lots more items to choose from in the SMS version.

I do remember there being a lot of flickering when it came to capturing ghosts. You could visit the shop after the game's beginning, though if it was your first time playing, it was difficult to purchase much more than your initial supplies and still manage to have the $10,000 that was required to enter the building at the end.

After watching the video of the C64 version, I don't understand the purpose of the ghost vacuum in that game. Capturing ghosts via the vacuum doesn't seem to increase your money at all. I'm pretty sure this wasn't the case with the SMS version.

If I recall correctly, the ghost vacuum is used to suck up the ghosts and make them start over from the outer edges. Otherwise they'd reach Zuul and the more ghosts in Zuul, the more difficult it gets. But you should only drive them over and suck them up while on your way to a haunted house, it is a waste of time to just suck ghosts.

Sucking in the ghosts actually does a lot of good. Every ghost that reaches zuul raises the city's PK energy by 100 points. When you drive to the haunted blocks strategically, you have way more time to earn money before the PK energy reaches 10,000 and the game ends with the "pass the marshmallow man" sequence. Especially early in the game, whe there aren't too many red blocks, you do have time to drive through town and remove the ghosts. I would say if you find the right balance between clearing ghosts and short driving distances, you can make $ 3,000 more that without it.

But Carlsson is right. Too many detours waste time. That was one point that annoyed me in the AVGN Ghostbusters video: he complained about the long driving stages and failed to mention that longer ways through town make for longer driving stages.

• Like 2

I have the SMS version and have always enjoyed it. Recently I picked up the 2600 version and was shocked by how good it was. How did Activision squeeze out those graphics on the 2600?!

My sentiments exactly. I loved Ghostbusters on SMS and still do today. I've always been meaning to keep an account number in the game box so can just keep accumulating money and see if it'll ever roll over or something.

Then when I learned the game was on the VCS I was stoked, I knew it wold be watered down, but I love that game and I love Atari.

It IS amazing what they crammed in that poor little cart, but catching ghost seems to be totally random...

I drop the trap, Flick on the the ion beams, corner that ghost over the trap, I open the trap, my ion beams disappear, the ghost flys away, and THEN the red graphical thing that sucks the ghost into the trap FINALLY comes out.

My strategy has been positioning the ghostbusters on both extremes of the screen with the trap in the middle and just try to time the opening to catch him as he flies over it. Not as much fun.

Edited by Torr

After watching the video of the C64 version, I don't understand the purpose of the ghost vacuum in that game. Capturing ghosts via the vacuum doesn't seem to increase your money at all. I'm pretty sure this wasn't the case with the SMS version.

It was.

In the SMS version each ghost sucked up is worth $200.

Vacumming Ghosts while Driving = $200/ghost

Catching ghosts at a building = $500/ghost

Preventing Stay Puft from forming = $2,000

That's ALL the ways to make money in SMS Ghostbusters.

Edited by Torr
  • Like 1

I grew up with the C64 version, played the heck out of it as I imagine most kids did during those times. I find it hard to believe I wouldn't have rented the NES version, but I don't have any memories of that. Perhaps my mind blocked it out. Watching that video, I did think the Ghostbusters on the NES version looked somewhat similar to Harry on Super Pitfall on the NES. That SMS version looks great, I'll have to try it out sometime, my SMS experience is pretty limited.

• Like 1

Are the account numbers in the SMS and NES versions compatible with the first batch of games (C64, Atari 8-bit, Apple ][ etc)? Given that you seem able to both earn more money and spend more money in the SMS version, I suppose the accounts might be different. Also, while I never completed the C64 version, I thought you'd get an account number with your final balance both after winning and losing the game, but the longplay of the SMS version doesn't seem to publish any account numbers after the game was won.

I thought you'd get an account number with your final balance both after winning and losing the game

You only get an account number if you end up with more money than you started with. If you end up with a loss, you have to start from the beginning (i.e. with 10k$). I still have my notebook, starting in 1986 or so, where I scribbled down countless account numbers from the countless times I played that game.

You only get an account number if you end up with more money than you started with. If you end up with a loss, you have to start from the beginning (i.e. with 10k$). I still have my notebook, starting in 1986 or so, where I scribbled down countless account numbers from the countless times I played that game.

I wonder if this is true in the SMS version. The only way you could end up with less money and win the game in the SMS version is if it is possible to lose money after sneaking past Stay-Puft and entering the building at the end. You have to have at least $10K to be able to enter the building, so there's no way to enter with less than what you started the game with.

In the SMS version if you wanna keep increasing your bank account do NOT win the game.

You can even get to the fight with Gorza [sic] but as long as you get a "Game Over", not "Win", you'll be given an account number.

I guess they figured you'd only need an account number if you lost so that the next time you play you'll have a better chance, but I'd prefer it it ALWAYS gave you an account number so you could ALWAYS keep bankrolling.

*But then again, I can beat the game with one trap and the economy car...

Edited by Torr

I wonder if this is true in the SMS version. The only way you could end up with less money and win the game in the SMS version is if it is possible to lose money after sneaking past Stay-Puft and entering the building at the end. You have to have at least $10K to be able to enter the building, so there's no way to enter with less than what you started the game with.

I'm afraid my response is going to look like I'm contradicting someone which I'm NOT intending. I think this is a fun conversation about a game I love, and I'm glad it is continuing. Just trying to keep it all straight.

C64 - can't enter building if have less $$ than at start. This is a forced action in the c64 version. Once Vince and Zuul enter the building, your account is evaluated and you either get to proceed or don't.

SMS - can't enter building if have less $$ than at start (right?)

In the C64 version, the game ends and doesn't let you enter the building if you end up with less money. You do not receive an account number in this case. I actually don't know if you get killed trying to enter the building if there is an acct #. I just played through the game last week and have a savestate that will tell me tonight.

However, in the SMS version it seems that you only get an account number if you lose. This does beg a question. Are you prevented from entering the building if you have less than 10K. Does the game give you repeated attempts to get more $$ before you enter the building? Because if you end your game with less than 10k, your balance would technically be negative and what would be the point of getting an account number?

I've never bothered to load an SMS emulator, but I think I have to now. What is the best SMS emulator out there? Isn't there one that does Genesis AND SMS?

I've never bothered to load an SMS emulator, but I think I have to now. What is the best SMS emulator out there? Isn't there one that does Genesis AND SMS?

You could try Kega Fusion. It seems to emulate all Sega consoles up to the 32X.

I may have to replay this now. I know that you have to have the $10K to go into the building, because I remember receiving the screen telling me that I didn't have enough to continue.

I found my old account numbers. Seems like I played this game a lot. My last account number has over $260K.

• Like 1

In response to Wongojack, I can only verify gameplay for the SMS. Here's a brief, but complete synopsis.

Let's assume you've NEVER played before.

You start the game with $10,000

You HAVE to buy a Car.

You SHOULD buy either a Ghost Vacuum, a Ghost Trap, and/or Ghost Bait, these being the only 3 ways to make money in Ghostbusters; Sucking up ghosts, catching ghosts, and preventing Stay Puft from forming. Obviously I'd recommend all three but you can make do with just one. All other items are for extra benefits, with some being red herrings that are absolutely useless (I think?)

After initial purchases the game begins proper. However you may return to the store anytime to buy more items, but you cannot sell any and you are limited to how many things you can carry by the car you bought.

The PK Energy meter will fill 3 times, first blue, then yellow, then red as the game progress. A timer basically (that jumps ahead a lot when ghosts reach Zuul or haunt a building without being busted).

When it's completely filled red, gameplay stops.

If you have LESS than $10,000: Game Over. No Account Number, because, what's the use? you have less than you started with.

If you have MORE than $10,000: You continue on to the Zuul Building, which is three sections; #1 Getting past Stay Puft (hey! I thought we prevented him from forming with the Ghost Bait!) #2 Advancing through the floors of the building to the rooftop. #3 Fighting Gorza [sic].

If you 'Game Over' in any of the three Zuul sections you are given an account number to start with the exact amount of money you died with.

If you 'Win' the game, that's it, you win, no account number. Kind of a rip off, but as I stated earlier, I guess they figured you did good enough to win, you don't need need anymore help.

*edit* Now that I think about it, If you die in the Zuul Section an Account Number isn't going to make the game any easier, because nothing you buy in the store will help you here. It just makes getting to the Zuul building easier your next time playing.

Edited by Torr
  • Like 2

Ok, so I tested out one more detail on the C64 version. If you have enough money to start the segment where you attempt to enter the building and sneak past stay puff, but you get squashed by him - you DO get an account number.

If you sneak 2 Ghostbusters past StayPuff then you get an additional $5000 and an account number.

Loved this game on the C64, never played any other version. Heard horrible things about the NES port so I stayed away. Will have to try the SMS version.

I know the Ghostbuster game on the Genesis totally different. A friend tells me it's a fun side scrolling action romp.

I never tried the Atari 2600 version, but I hear they did a great job with it.

Wasn't there a sequel, Ghostbusters 2 for the 2600 only and even then just for Europe? Is it any good?

I know the Ghostbuster game on the Genesis totally different. A friend tells me it's a fun side scrolling action romp.

I never tried the Atari 2600 version, but I hear they did a great job with it.

Wasn't there a sequel, Ghostbusters 2 for the 2600 only and even then just for Europe? Is it any good?

- The Genesis/Mega Drive game is really nothing special. Just another one of the one million platformers out there. It's ok, but the unique simulation-like gameplay of the C64 version is much more compelling imo.

- The 2600 version is really good. Clunky, yes, but utterly playable. It uses all sorts of switches on the console for in-game controls. Takes some time to get used to, but if you are, it's almost as good as the C64 version.

- Yes, there is a sequel on the 2600. It's very clunky, but I've heard people say they kinda like it. It's not my cup of tea from what I saw of the gameplay. Not worth the money if you collect to play. There also is a Ghostbusters 2 on C64. I had it back in the day, but hardly remember any of it. It was an attempt to put as many scenes from the movie into one game, and it failed to do so imo. Gameplay of the different stages was pretty unpolished and often unfair, iirc. Still worth checking out, using the big "E"; maybe I was just being stupid back then.

So if one would run a high score challenge in Ghostbusters, one of the rules would be to always start from fresh, and the goal is the one who can make most profit on top of the initial $10,000? I realize the more money you have to start with, the more you are likely to spend on a faster car, more equipment that might be handy but not crucial, but it also means you have to recap even more money to go beyond what you started with in order to finish the game. Thus it might be a "B difficulty setting" to enter the code to get $1,000,000 to start with and you get to spend as much or little as you wish and try to be profitable in the end.

I think that the improved equipment that you are able to purchase makes up for the cost. For example, when I look at my account numbers, there is an increase of about $35K between the last two account numbers. Being able to purchase the best equipment from the start makes it easy to be profitable.