IGNORED

Atari ST Component Video Adapter - FINISHED!

Kjmann

I won one at the Atari Party in Davis at the beginning of May. Haven't had a chance to try it at home, but I played around with it a little at the Atari Party, it looks really nice. I may have time this weekend to get it working, but I have a lot of busy things I gotta do (Holiday, family visiting, etc).

-A.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have sent my cash over to him and are pacently awaiting my package. I talked to him about three weeks ago and he was saying that he had to add something to every board he was sending out. I'm just whistling and watching the mail.

Did you get your Video Adapter come in yet?

Edited by walter_J64bit

• 1 month later...

I talked to Sal a couple of days ago, actually. He needs to send mine back to me, but he has been having some health problems. He was looking into having a website manufacturer the cable, but thats not looking like a viable option right now. He is looking into other avenues because just like you, there are a lot of people asking for the same thing. And hes finding himself in a position thats hard to fill that demand. If I hear more, I'll post it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I know this is an old topic and not a lot of news, but I was curious if those few that received the component converter had been experiencing any issues? Sal never responds, so I contacted video61 for any info and Lance mentioned that it was unlikely in the near term since Sal wasn't working on it any more and there were serious problems with the first versions that resulted in damage to ST's video chip. Lance said that he was the one that bank rolled the endeavor and it would be quite a while / large expense for him to debug, if at all.

I know there are several mods using the Gonbes boards or other custom hacks to get ST output on a modern display, but this is the first I have heard about permanently damaging the ST. Can anyone confirm since I was planning on trying to figure out a stop gap for my needs beyond a MultiSync monitor, but don't want to damage anything. Does the ST have some strange voltage requirements that leads to damage via over/under voltaging feedback from the converter box? I figured that would be safe if you made sure there were proper level converters in your design (e.g. I'm aware of the over voltage issues on the Gonbes boards)?

Hmm, first versions? So does that mean later versions were okay? Sorry I can't help with your question - like you, I had not heard of any of the video mods

actually doing damage, just not working correctly.

In any case, it's looking more and more like my $85.00 is gone. (the money wasn't as important as actually getting an adapter that worked "out of the box").

I do hope Sal's health improves.

Not that I know of, I was speaking of the initial prototypes. Here is the response from Lance:

that project was co-enginneered by me, and funded by me. sal has dissapeared with my money and parts. he did sign over atlantis games group to me before he dissapeared. before he dissapeared, i did manage to get one prototye, it has no sound. according to sal, the unit damages the video chip on ST models.
i have not taken the prototype further, till i clear all other projects i am working on for the atari 8-bits, jaguar, 7800, and lynx.
to find out what went wrong with the design of the unit will take time and lots more money. atari designed the ST models, to be almost impssible to upgrade. good computers, tough to modernize.
i want to make this unit workable, its display is awesome. it will allow people to ditch that crummy small monitor atari stuck us with. i use mine on a 37 inch flat screen, and it really looks amazing on my 32 inch tube t.v., infact, tubes look the best.
i never sold any, sal sold a couple he said without my permission, he said they came back with complaints. sal was never good at waiting and getting it right.
thanks,
lance
Edited by Malichite

OK, that is good too hear that the later batches worked. Hopefully Sal's health improves and start working on them again.

Thanks again for the info as I am less nervous about silently killing my ST video processor now, but I'll still triple check the output voltages on any thing I make. I guess I'll have to look at one of the Gonbes boards, but it is hard to get too excited about using one since the build quality is so poor that the first thing you need to do is replace several components on the board just to get function as it should.

• 2 months later...

Bumping an old (possibly sore topic), The Component adapter that Sal gave me last year worked for all of 3 boots before dying. I was trying to get it functional so I could take it to the Atari Party this year, so far no luck. I cracked the case and caught a slight burnt electronic smell (case was sealed), the board looks fine, but I'm not sure where to start testing.

I used 12v 1.2a DC power, dunno if it was too much or not enough.

Using it with an STe, so far it's still working normally so dunno if any truth to these things messing up ST video. When it was working, it was awesome. Hopefully I can get it replaced somehow.

-A.

Bumping an old (possibly sore topic), The Component adapter that Sal gave me last year worked for all of 3 boots before dying. I was trying to get it functional so I could take it to the Atari Party this year, so far no luck. I cracked the case and caught a slight burnt electronic smell (case was sealed), the board looks fine, but I'm not sure where to start testing.

Using it with an STe, so far it's still working normally so dunno if any truth to these things messing up ST video. When it was working, it was awesome. Hopefully I can get it replaced somehow.

-A.

I use mine only occasionally and so far haven't had any issues. I only use it when I want to hook an ST to my living room TV which isn't often.

-A.

You might be better off with getting the Best electronics VGA cable http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/cables.htm

Edited by walter_J64bit