IGNORED

Atari games from that landfill are headed to museums -- and eBay

Hyperboy

Well, yes, it's done by a club. And a band of enthusiasts would have a better idea of how a games display should be set up as opposed to some old gasser in stuffy smithsonian academic setting. I'm just appalled at what I read the other day.

I still say the best "museums" will be extensive collections. Emulated or Real. Preferably a combination of the two.

And what did you read about?

Here where I live, temporary exhibitions and "popular" museum are growing; unlike more academic museums, they are meant to be entertaining, with more visual things, targeted to everyday's life items you'll never see in the Louvre or at the Hermitage.

So, a permanent museum of video gaming, with working machines you can play (even if it's through emulation - I believe that's what they did at the Game Story for some systems - wiring the old controllers to a PC and output the display on a cathodic TV) it can exist. And the Smithsonian can go their own way too...

• 2 weeks later...