Extended Basic v2.7 Suite Cartridge

558 replies to this topic

#51 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

River Patroller

• 3,822 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:34 PM

I took the doors off purposely. They make the cart harder to line up and insert. But - Hey, it's your cart now!

Well, see, that is good information to have, so I will not.  You have thus saved my cartridge from dissection.

#52 JCCyC OFFLINE  

JCCyC

Space Invader

• 31 posts

Posted Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:16 AM

There's a whole bunch of messages regarding it. This is the one I posted at the same time I announced the first sale here.

https://groups.yahoo...s/messages/8984

What's your username there? I can check your notification options if you'd like.

Gazoo

What the...? I read the group by e-mail only, and all messages BUT THAT ONE came through! It doesn't show in "Conversations" either, neither in "Messages" nor in "Topics"! And I can't reply to it! I am Juan Castro there. (Woody Woodpecker avatar.) I just started a new topic there.

#53 Vorticon OFFLINE  

Vorticon

River Patroller

• 2,726 posts

Posted Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:01 AM

I found a quirk with the cart:

When used with the Navarone Widget multicart selector, this cart gets selected regardless of where the switch is and what other carts are on the Widget. I tried it with two different Widgets, and the result was the same. The Widgets work just fine when the Suite cart is not installed.

Any clues as to why?

#54 Ksarul OFFLINE  

Ksarul

River Patroller

• 4,129 posts

Posted Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:12 AM

That is an issue specific to the ÜberGROM board itself. It does not like Widgets. We looked for a way to make it work with a Widget, but found no solution that would do the trick properly. See the notes on this from Tursi in the 512K cartridge thread (we're adding this note to the ÜberGROM manual as well). It is the only incompatibility we've found to date for the ÜberGROM board.

Edited by Ksarul, Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:13 AM.

#55 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

Quadrunner

• 10,366 posts

Posted Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:14 AM

I found a quirk with the cart:

When used with the Navarone Widget multicart selector, this cart gets selected regardless of where the switch is and what other carts are on the Widget. I tried it with two different Widgets, and the result was the same. The Widgets work just fine when the Suite cart is not installed.

Any clues as to why?

Yeah, I noticed that too.  I was told NOT to use the widget with the XB2.7s cart, but since the cart has so much stuff on it, I really don't have to switch carts much, except for Multiplan and when I want to use my Super Cart.

#56 Tursi OFFLINE  

Tursi

River Patroller

• 4,746 posts
  • HarmlessLion

Posted Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:49 PM

Yes, do NOT use a Widget with the ubergrom -- or rather, use it at your own risk. The design of the Widget is such that the UberGROM and any other GROM selected will both drive the lines at the same time. We could not come up with a reasonable circuit to work around this, as the Widget only switches the -5v on and off to the GROM, rather than something useful like GROM select. (If someone can come up with a good simple circuit to convert presence or absence of -5v into something positive that the AVR can detect, we can add that. The main wrinkle is there is leakage from the reset circuit even when the -5v is not selected, I couldn't make it go, even with an optoisolator.)

Anyway, people are fairly comfortable with overriding the console GROMs, we know what is there and it's well tested, but we don't know what is on other cartridges. You may damage the other GROMs. Worse, if the other cartridges contain another GROM simulator of any type, there is strong likelihood that both cartridges will drive the GROM lines at full strength at the same time, and this likely WILL damage one or the other (and possibly the console).

No widgets! ;)

#57 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

Quadrunner

• 10,366 posts

Posted Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:01 PM

Yes, do NOT use a Widget with the ubergrom -- or rather, use it at your own risk.

Even with that caveat, it's still the best damn cartridge I've ever owned and I still give it my 100% recommendation, not that my opinion means much really, but I do love this thing.   :)

#58 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

River Patroller

• 3,822 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:08 PM

Considering the amount of software crammed into the cartridge, it might be well to call it its own widget which is mutually exclusive of others.

#59 unhuman OFFLINE  

unhuman

Stargunner

• 1,139 posts

Posted Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:19 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty jealous of those who have and hope to get one - those that do are clearly lucky ducks!

#60 Vorticon OFFLINE  

Vorticon

River Patroller

• 2,726 posts

Posted Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:40 PM

Yes, do NOT use a Widget with the ubergrom -- or rather, use it at your own risk. The design of the Widget is such that the UberGROM and any other GROM selected will both drive the lines at the same time. We could not come up with a reasonable circuit to work around this, as the Widget only switches the -5v on and off to the GROM, rather than something useful like GROM select. (If someone can come up with a good simple circuit to convert presence or absence of -5v into something positive that the AVR can detect, we can add that. The main wrinkle is there is leakage from the reset circuit even when the -5v is not selected, I couldn't make it go, even with an optoisolator.)

Anyway, people are fairly comfortable with overriding the console GROMs, we know what is there and it's well tested, but we don't know what is on other cartridges. You may damage the other GROMs. Worse, if the other cartridges contain another GROM simulator of any type, there is strong likelihood that both cartridges will drive the GROM lines at full strength at the same time, and this likely WILL damage one or the other (and possibly the console).

No widgets! ;)

Good to know... Luckily I didn't damage anything  :P

#61 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

Quadrunner

• 10,366 posts

Posted Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:08 PM

Okay, I cannot lie about this cartridge, and I'm going to give it a BRUTALLY HONEST APPRAISAL.

After having used this cartridge for a while now, and never seeming to remove it (because it does damn near everything) I can truthfully say, "It's the best damn cartridge I've ever owned on the TI-99/4A, PERIOD."  That's it! When he makes his next run, you better scarf one up, because I doubt they'll last long. 

#62 Fritz442 OFFLINE  

Fritz442

Chopper Commander

• 185 posts

Posted Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:36 PM

I would love to get one on the next run, Please.

#63 Gazoo OFFLINE  

Gazoo

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,507 posts

Posted Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:59 AM

gallery_29515_833_24561.jpg

The second batch of cartridges is complete. There are a total of 14 cartridges for sale. One per customer. Price is $40, shipping included, to continental US only.

A message is being posted on the TI Yahoo group concurrently with this one.

The cartridges will be sold to the first 14 responders whether the response is from here or the TI Yahoo group.

I can accept Paypal, check or money order.

Gazoo

#64 Ksarul OFFLINE  

Ksarul

River Patroller

• 4,129 posts

Posted Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:13 AM

Excellent work there, Gazoo!  :) :) :) 

#65 acadiel OFFLINE  

acadiel

Dragonstomper

• 929 posts
  • www.hexbus.com

Posted Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:31 AM

I want one. Love the label!

#66 Ksarul OFFLINE  

Ksarul

River Patroller

• 4,129 posts

Posted Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:08 AM

They are beautiful and work like a charm!  :)

#67 jstimson OFFLINE  

jstimson

Star Raider

• 72 posts

Posted Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:09 AM

Please!  Want!

But I'm in Canada!

But seriously!  Encourage my continued interest in the TI!

#68 dphirschler OFFLINE  

dphirschler

Moonsweeper

• 371 posts

Posted Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:31 AM

I'm in.  PM sent.  Been waiting for this.

Darryl

Edited by dphirschler, Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:34 AM.

#69 Bill Loguidice OFFLINE  

Bill Loguidice

Quadrunner

• 5,547 posts
  • Armchair Arcade Managing Director

Posted Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:37 AM

I definitely still want one. PM sent.

#70 vectrexroli OFFLINE  

vectrexroli

Moonsweeper

• 461 posts

Posted Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:56 AM

I would like to buy one, but I am in Europe. PM sent.

#71 JCCyC OFFLINE  

JCCyC

Space Invader

• 31 posts

Posted Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:15 AM

Three two for me, please! (two one for me and one for a friend)

If not admissible, just one, but I'd like to pass at least another cartridge to a friend of mine who doesn't post here.

Edited by JCCyC, Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:24 AM.

#72 Lisias OFFLINE  

Lisias

Space Invader

• 17 posts

Posted Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:40 AM

I want one, thank you!

#73 JCCyC OFFLINE  

JCCyC

Space Invader

• 31 posts

Posted Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:46 AM

I want one, thank you!

Ah... yeah. That was the guy I was talking about.

And there's probably a third one who'll post here shortly. We hang around at Facebook here (in Portuguese): https://www.facebook...etrocomputaria/

Edited by JCCyC, Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:47 AM.

#74 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

Quadrunner

• 10,366 posts

Posted Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:47 AM

Damn, your cartridge is even bringing out the lurkers!  :thumbsup:  :)

Attached Files

#75 JCCyC OFFLINE  

JCCyC

Space Invader

• 31 posts

Posted Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:50 AM

Damn, you're cartridge is even bringing out the lurkers!  :thumbsup:  :)

Blame it on Brazil!

https://www.facebook...52114758179563/

https://www.facebook...55832567807782/

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users