IGNORED

Huge trash find of vintage video game boxes

OriginalPSP

eBay is the logical choice concerning selling these boxes as it gives you the greatest visibility and provides for the safest buying environment which makes it more comfortable when contemplating making the big bids.

FYI... for the ColecoVision & Adam boxes, list them with " Coleco / ColecoVision / ADAM Computer " and then the box name for the best search results.

Should end up being a very good X-mas at your household this year!!!!!

• Like 2

I am, and I'm doing my best to answer everyone here, via direct e-mail and on Facebook. I've even had phone calls, which I didn't quite expect.

As several of you note on eBay, that is presently where I'm leaning. As I originally noted, I have no idea how to value a lot of these. A lot of rares and uncommons... certainly not an every day find, especially with no air or light exposure for 30 years. Even the commons are in solid condition.

I've had some offers in private already that are several times over what I thought some of these things might be worth, and some of those people feel they are lowballing me, which has made me gun shy. Yeah, part of me notes I have next to nothing in these... and then the father in me looks at my kids.

Some of the private offers will be hard to say no to, and in some cases I probably won't. At this point I am proceeding with caution and thinking it all through until this weekend but I believe I'll begin eBay listings on Sunday or Monday night and yes, I will give the heads up when I do.

I'm very appreciative of the kind and helpful posts and private messages. What I've been told about AtariAge over the years has proven true. Good to know there's still some nice video game forums in the world...heh.

Keep in mind that if you go the eBay route, those same people will still be just as interested in all likelihood. I know the offers have to be tempting, but I still think you'll be shocked what they could bring on the open market.

I'd only use eBay to unload the stuff you can't sell for reasonable here. Price you pay in commissions to them will definitely add up!

Personally, I'm not interested in bidding and paying attention to timing and bids (only to get sniped at the last second anyway) on a bunch of individual listings, so I'd probably be out if you end up going that route. On the other hand, if you list things at a buck with no reserve, probably end up paying much, much less for most all of the uncommon stuff I offered outright. ;)

I'd only use eBay to unload the stuff you can't sell for reasonable here. Price you pay in commissions to them will definitely add up!

Personally, I'm not interested in bidding and paying attention to timing and bids (only to get sniped at the last second anyway) on a bunch of individual listings, so I'd probably be out if you end up going that route. On the other hand, if you list things at a buck with no reserve, probably end up paying much, much less for most all of the uncommon stuff I offered outright. ;)

Strongly disagree. Ebay and Paypal fees on regular auctions are just 13%. There is no doubt that things will sell for substantially more on Ebay than here and give everyone a fair chance to compete. I can also guarantee that regardless of what you offered here, the Ebay results will be substantially more on every item. The market for this stuff is hot again after a recession induced lull and European bidders in particular are paying crazy amounts for uncommon stuff. Frankly, if you can't be bothered to bid on Ebay, you're not serious about wanting these hard to find items and ultimately you're just afraid that others want them more and will be willing to pay more which is absolutely true. You can't get sniped if you truly bid your maximum and what the market price actually is rather than trying to lowball bids.

• Like 2

When did it become fashionable to push the merits of eBay vs. encouraging trade in our very own marketplace? :ponder:

And either your logic is flawed or you lack experience regarding the last second sniping thing. Happens all the time if you're not there to babysit your bid. Has nothing to do with lowballing at all. Guess you could trust some proxy type sniping site with your user name and password, but I've never been willing to give that away. So the eBay frustrations as a buyer will persist - which is why I'll always prefer to purchase things outright (and probably the sole reason why 'Buy It Now' listings have been so popular) and it's not *always* about saving the green. From time to time, we've all "overpaid" for things here, eBay, CL even, just to avoid the hassle of bidding in auctions. ;)

When did it become fashionable to push the merits of eBay vs. encouraging trade in our very own marketplace? :ponder:

And either your logic is flawed or you lack experience regarding the last second sniping thing. Happens all the time if you're not there to babysit your bid. Has nothing to do with lowballing at all.

Ever since buyers like yourself started to take an overly aggressive approach to trying to eliminate the competition for desirable items by trying to make sellers believe they will never get a better deal than what you're offering.

I have been buying on Ebay for 17 years. The only time sniping has any impact on me is if the sniper is willing to pay more for something than I am willing to bid. Sniping is not some magical trick or deceptive practice, it's simply a technique some bidders choose to use for a variety of reasons. If you don't want to be outbid by a sniper, all you have to do is bid the very highest you're willing to pay. If you still get outbid, the sniper wanted the item more and was willing to pay more. That's just how a competitive marketplace works.

• Like 3

I have been buying on Ebay for 17 years. The only time sniping has any impact on me is if the sniper is willing to pay more for something than I am willing to bid. Sniping is not some magical trick or deceptive practice, it's simply a technique some bidders choose to use for a variety of reasons. If you don't want to be outbid by a sniper, all you have to do is bid the very highest you're willing to pay. If you still get outbid, the sniper wanted the item more and was willing to pay more. That's just how a competitive marketplace works.

But if you place your highest bid early, other bidders will chip away at it - so even if you do happen to win the item, you most probably will have paid a higher price for it than if you'd placed your maximum in the final seconds.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Unless you have obscure items (which can be hit and miss ebaying - due to limited interest), you are far more likely to get a higher price for them with a bidding war on ebay IMO.

Edited by nofrills100
  • Like 1

But if you place your highest bid early, other bidders will chip away at it - so even if you do happen to win the item, you most probably will have paid a higher price for it than if you'd placed your maximum in the final seconds.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Unless you have obscure items (which can be hit and miss ebaying - due to limited interest), you are far more likely to get a higher price for them with a bidding war on ebay IMO.

That all depends on the other bidders and quite frankly, the item. I personally just use the Ebay smartphone app so I can bid from anywhere. I also personally tend to bid at the end (not sniping exactly, but late enough to avoid certain concerns like shill bidding). None of that changes the fact that if you bid the full amount that you're willing to pay, the only possible way someone else can beat you is if they bid more.

I agree with your second point. These are definitely not obscure items. They are items that have a high demand and will probably sell for record amounts.

Edited by bojay1997

I want only to complete my CIB collection.

I know seller wants to get a price so higher as possible. If he goes for ebay, I hope he allows shipping to Mexico and also combined shipping.

I want some of these but I'll not pay more than my estimated or my funds. Even if I could.

BTW I think AtariAge is better than ebay for this. Even bidding. Just get offers via PM and choose what you want. No 10% cut.

Besides I think here is people that really is interested and even some doesn't have ebay accounts.

• Like 1

This is my philosophy too. If I get outbid by .01 I don't mind because I usually decide how much I want to pay and then increase it by 10% or whatever. In effect, I'm already bidding MORE than I want to pay, so when someone goes over me, it doesn't bother me.

I'm pretty sure that I have gotten shilled this way though.

I've decided to go the eBay route. Wasn't an easy decision, especially given some offers I received that exceeded what I thought some of this stuff would net, I think given the rarity of the find putting this stuff up on the open market will at least be the less stressful method for me, eliminating any "what ifs" in regards to the more scarce items and allowing me to sell at my own pace, listing only as many at a time as I can realistically pack and ship in a reasonable time.

I will start with small batches this coming Monday night and likely Tuesday and Wednesday nights as well. Auctions will be available internationally and I'm not going to post reserves or anything like that.

I'll be letting everyone know here when the fun starts. I truly appreciate the kindness and helpfulness of everyone here and lets see how this goes.

Quite honestly, for something you found in a dumpster and have no interest in collecting why bother trying to get top dollar? It only causes stress and headaches when peoples buyers remorse and overspending catch up with them so they take it out on the seller. In your shoes I would have just dumped them at say 70% of market value to a collector willing to deal with the BS of flipping the rest so he could get a few "good ones" for his personal collection. The stress that extra 30% brings you is only worth it if you are passionate about the hobby. Besides Ebay fees suck ass, just my 2 cents and it's an honest 2 cents as I am interested in nothing you are selling :)

• Like 1

On the topic of the sniping thing....while I agree that someone coming in last-second with a snipe can be frustrating since we didn't know how much competition there was, it's been around for so long that nobody who bids in auctions regularly should be surprised by it, and we can adjust our bidding accordingly (even if it means sometimes using a snipe site ourselves if we really, really don't want to miss out on the item). I agree, too, that sniping makes an early bid more risky, since we in essence have played part of our hand in the bidding by letting people know we're interested. On the other hand, some bidders have taken advantage of the increase in sniping to pull an even more, IMHO, underhanded technique...that of the scare-tactic off-site offer. Personally, while I find a last minute snipe snatching something I want away to be frustrating, I find it even MORE frustrating when someone contacts the seller directly after only a couple of days into the listing, points out that they have practically no bids, convinces them that they'll never get a good deal, and then offers them an off-auction amount ("you'll never get a better offer than this...you SEE how few people have bid so far, right?") on the condition that they withdraw the auction early. This usually works more on fairly new sellers who don't understand that so many of the best offers will come in the last minute of the auction. Those new sellers withdraw the auction and sell the item, often at a substantially lower price than what it would have gone for had the bidding been allowed to play out to the end. If this off-auction offer truly is so amazing, then had it been put in as a bid it would have certainly won...but too often the truth is that the offer is still a low-ball from what the auction process would have ultimately brought in.

Quite honestly, for something you found in a dumpster and have no interest in collecting why bother trying to get top dollar? It only causes stress and headaches when peoples buyers remorse and overspending catch up with them so they take it out on the seller. In your shoes I would have just dumped them at say 70% of market value to a collector willing to deal with the BS of flipping the rest so he could get a few "good ones" for his personal collection. The stress that extra 30% brings you is only worth it if you are passionate about the hobby. Besides Ebay fees suck ass, just my 2 cents and it's an honest 2 cents as I am interested in nothing you are selling :)

Not sure I follow the logic. Ebay fees are only 10% (He would still have to pay the 3% Paypal regardless of if he sold them here or to a middle man). Why wouldn't you put in a few hours to make an extra 20% percent selling them yourself? How would he even set a market value when many of these boxes have not been sold in mint condition for many years, if ever? How would he know what 70% of market value is?

Frankly, I think some of these will go for hundreds of dollars each and 20% on even a few dozen that sell in that range is another $750-$1000 for not a lot of extra work. That doesn't even include the extra 20% on the remaining hundreds of boxes. Unless he has no time at all, it seems like doing the work himself would be well worth it.

I also don't buy this angry bidder backlash claim. On uncommon items like these, the bidders with deep pockets tend to come out in force and they aren't the type to complain about overspending.

I still don't understand what the big TO DO is about sniping. The snipe that is placed is that potential buyer's best possible bid and all one has to do is place the own max bid and then the best man/woman wins. Place your max bid with as little time as possible to avoid shill bidding... which is a lot more of a problem to be concerned about when dealing with auctions.

Good luck with the auctions originalPSP and glad you decided to go the route you have.

• Like 2

Not sure I follow the logic. Ebay fees are only 10% (He would still have to pay the 3% Paypal regardless of if he sold them here or to a middle man). Why wouldn't you put in a few hours to make an extra 20% percent selling them yourself? How would he even set a market value when many of these boxes have not been sold in mint condition for many years, if ever? How would he know what 70% of market value is?Frankly, I think some of these will go for hundreds of dollars each and 20% on even a few dozen that sell in that range is another $750-$1000 for not a lot of extra work. That doesn't even include the extra 20% on the remaining hundreds of boxes. Unless he has no time at all, it seems like doing the work himself would be well worth it.I also don't buy this angry bidder backlash claim. On uncommon items like these, the bidders with deep pockets tend to come out in force and they aren't the type to complain about overspending.

People with deep pockets already own all this stuff, not a whole lot of new rich collectors joining the 2600 scene these days :) lol

If you can list, sell, package, answer questions, ship and deal with complaints on over 600 items in just a "few" hours then please tell me your secret ;) Its only fun if you are a collector. If I found 600 precious moments figures in the trash and some old lady offered me 70% the value so she could deal with the bullshit they would be sold before I could unpack them, lol

• Like 1

People with deep pockets already own all this stuff, not a whole lot of new rich collectors joining the 2600 scene these days :) lol

If you can list, sell, package, answer questions, ship and deal with complaints on over 600 items in just a "few" hours then please tell me your secret ;) Its only fun if you are a collector. If I found 600 precious moments figures in the trash and some old lady offered me 70% the value so she could deal with the bullshit they would be sold before I could unpack them, lol

What if they were a bunch of Precious Moments figures that nobody was really sure what they were worth and that hadn't appeared in that pristine condition in many years? I mean, I could understand if this guy didn't want to spend the time and someone was willing to do the selling on a 30% consignment basis with 70% going to the seller, but otherwise it makes no sense to guess at the value and then deal with the strong possibility that your valuation was far too low. It's also not that tough to take photos and then follow a template on Ebay for listings.

Yes, it will likely take a number of hours to list them all (he did say he might group the Vic and TI stuff that he suspects probably correctly is less valuable) and to ship them all out. Having said that, I suspect many buyers are going to scoop up as many of them as possible, so I doubt he is going to be shipping out hundreds of packages. There are also plenty of deep pockets collectors who do not have these boxes. Look at how much interest was generated here among some very prominent collectors and that doesn't even account for the lurkers and people who have never been to this forum but who buy classic games for crazy amounts on Ebay. You must make a pretty good living if you can leave 30% of what will undoubtedly be thousands and thousands of dollars on the table. We should all be so lucky.

Edited by bojay1997

If I found 600 precious moments figures in the trash and some old lady offered me 70% the value so she could deal with the bullshit they would be sold before I could unpack them, lol

I call bullshit. If you found that many Precious Moments figures you'd have them arranged at a tea party inside of fifteen minutes. :) Lol!