IGNORED

Buy Wii U now or wait?

WestofHouse

I'm going to buy a Wii U for my daughter for Christmas. My first instinct is to wait for potential Black Friday deals and/or a price drop before the holidays, but later this month* Best Buy are releasing a $299 Wii U Deluxe bundle that includes Super Mario World. That's one of the games my daughter wants so I'm planning on buying it anyway, so in a sense that a money saver already.

I've learned that those bundles seem to be around for only a limited time (Mario Kart bundle, anyone?) so I'm afraid to wait too long to get it.

What are your thoughts?

*Release date was originally listed as 9/15, but I just saw it is now 9/28.

Edited by WestofHouse

I say do it now because next year you will be buying more Wii U games. :P The release schedule next year is pretty sweet.

I have a daughter and we both play this all the time:

http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Party-U-nintendo/dp/B00DC7FWRE

Its got a lot of games that are pretty worthwhile and fun and moms can join in too. Highly recommend it for non gamers or casuals and you wont be bored either playing it with them.

Also Mario Kart 8 is a lot of fun too.

Well, I bit on the Mario 3D World bundle. It's a good deal with that game and I now I don't have to worry about whether the bundle will still be available later.

You also don't have to worry about getting trampled by some out of control, Black Friday hoarder. IMHO, Black Friday deals are totally not worth the hassle/aggravation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Personally I'm now on indefinite wait for the Wii U or it's games. I was all fired up for it after their E3 but it seems their latest firmware update is a "Agree to our new terms or brick your system." deal.

Basically you have to agree or it won't let you run games, as attempts to run anything after that brings up the update's new EULA for you to accept.

I'm not against eula changes in and of itself, although I can't say I agree with eula's at all. :P But at the same time, if someone refuses to accept new terms, which almost always take away rights from the consumer if anything at all, then they should be allowed to continue to use the system as is. It may mean they're cut off from connecting online, it may mean they're denied access to the online store, it may mean they won't be able to play the newer games that will all arbitrarily require it (without actually needing it). But it should still play the games it use to be able to play, which is how it tends to go on other systems, including the Wii.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/10/nintendo-updates-take-wii-u-hostage-until-you-agree-new-legal-terms

• Like 2

Personally I'm now on indefinite wait for the Wii U or it's games. I was all fired up for it after their E3 but it seems their latest firmware update is a "Agree to our new terms or brick your system." deal.

Basically you have to agree or it won't let you run games, as attempts to run anything after that brings up the update's new EULA for you to accept.

I'm not against eula changes in and of itself, although I can't say I agree with eula's at all. :P But at the same time, if someone refuses to accept new terms, which almost always take away rights from the consumer if anything at all, then they should be allowed to continue to use the system as is. It may mean they're cut off from connecting online, it may mean they're denied access to the online store, it may mean they won't be able to play the newer games that will all arbitrarily require it (without actually needing it). But it should still play the games it use to be able to play, which is how it tends to go on other systems, including the Wii.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/10/nintendo-updates-take-wii-u-hostage-until-you-agree-new-legal-terms

Wh.....whaa.??

Not sure how long ago it was added, but their latest EULA includes this:

"The Wii U console and accessories, the Software, and any services available using the Wii U (collectively, the "Wii U System"), are constantly evolving, and we may update or change your Wii U System, in whole or in part, without notice to you. Such updates or changes may be required for you to play new Wii U games, enjoy new features, or continue to access Wii U services."

So... agree or you can no longer use your console.

Seems like this is their solution to head off possible piracy on the Wii U? They may be trying to block any possible hacks based on old firmware, hacked game saves, or unpatched games by forcing Wii U owners to accept stealth updates or abandon their console.

Other 'lockdown' facts about the Wii U:

- There's no way to backup save files for Wii U games. They can't be copied to/from SD card, no cloud save, and if they're copied to external storage that storage device is locked to the current Wii U configuration. If you re-format your Wii U or get a new console then all external storage must be re-formatted. (Wii saves can still be backed up to SD card if you're in Wii mode)

- After a Wii U game has been patched, the retail disc will no longer work without the patch. ie If you decide to delete a patch update for one of your retail discs to recover system storage space, you can never play that retail disc again until you re-download the patch. Even if you erase your game save and the patch file, then take the Wii U offline, the retail disc won't launch until you go back online and re-download the patch. (or re-format your Wii U)

I've had personal objections to game patches that reduce the difficulty level of the original game. (like Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed and Toki Tori 2) I tried to remove the patches and found out that the games wouldn't work until the patch was re-downloaded. Ended up re-formatting my Wii U and now I always keep the system offline unless I'm downloading an occasional eshop purchase.

I have a hard time blaming Nintendo for any of this though... between the rampant piracy on the Wii and all the DS flash carts they lost a LOT of potential software revenue previous gen. Seems that repercussions from pirating thieves has led to software lockdown for next gen owners.

Edited by boog

I have a hard time blaming Nintendo for any of this though... between the rampant piracy on the Wii and all the DS flash carts they lost a LOT of potential software revenue previous gen. Seems that repercussions from pirating thieves has led to software lockdown for next gen owners.

I have an easy time blaming Nintendo for their mistakes. I also don't forgive them for bricking my purchased system simply because I don't like the changes they're making to our deal AFTER I purchased their console and games. I really would be pissed beyond belief if I was already invested in the console. Because haven't yet purchased any games/hardware however, I can simply throw any plans to invest in them in the garbage and save myself a lot of annoyance... and money.

"Potential software revenue" works under the false assumption that each download would have translated into a sale. A full price, launch day sale at that when they calculate up their numbers. Virtually all the pirates out there would have never bought a thing regardless of if it was possible to pirate it, or were part of that group that likes to "try before they buy" at which point they would have purchased what they liked already - unless they were using that as an excuse and they were part of the first group. These numbers are for crying to the shareholders as to why they failed to meet expectations for the year so the CEO doesn't get sacked, to lobby government over why stricter penalties are desired, and to try to buy some sympathy from the public.

That EULA thing is really messed up...hmm

I think they became aware at some point that NOBODY was updating their DS units or Wii units anymore so that the console will stay hacked, now its almost like a forced agreement where I'm not sure why they even bother with a EULA if you can't disagree with it.

They bother with a EULA agreement because that's the only thing that has a chance of saving them in a court of law. Nothing else gives them permission to remotely access your hardware and install software on it without your consent. In fact, without it they could be brought up on all sorts of charges.

However. They're potentially dealing with fire here by omitting a refusal button. Especially when the EULA agreement itself is saying you have to agree to it to continue to make use of NEW games, NEW services, and continued access to their online shop. It says nothing about the old stuff you already have that they're now preventing people to use until they click a button. I would assume it would weaken their position if it ever went to court for them to say "but they agreed to the EULA!"

Do not buy it now. Nintendo just disrespected every Wii U owner - their customers - by disabling your ability to play games unless you let them alter your system as they please without notice. Let me repeat that: YOU CANNOT PLAY YOUR EXISTING GAMES until you are force fed the new update.

Edited by theloon

Do not buy it now. Nintendo just disrespected every Wii U owner - their customers - by disabling your ability to play games unless you let them alter your system as they please without notice. Let me repeat that: YOU CANNOT PLAY YOUR EXISTING GAMES until you are force fed the new update.

That's not very cool. I guess as long as I can play my games, I'll still be ok.