IGNORED

Two 7800 games wanted: Adventure & Star Raiders!

SoundGammon

I've always wished these 2 games would have been done on the 7800 with updated graphics.

Adventure, same game, only done with the 7800 graphics! Hard to imagine what it would look like!

When Atari first announced the 7800 back in the spring of 1984, with a computer keyboard attachment, the first game that came to my mind was Star Raiders.

I believe it could be done with the 2600 keypad in the right controller port.

Anyone want to do some mock-up screenshots? They would be great to just look at!

Yes and yes for these games. I know they had been done before but so had a lot of the 7800 library so they would have been great additions. In one way it's a little odd that SR didn't make the jump, given the release of SR2 in 1985 and Star Raiders on the ST. Although maybe someone at Atari felt that it was too much to do it on the 7800 as well.

As for the names, how about Adventure Pro and Star Raiders Pro? :P

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian

Star Raiders even when lots of action is going on has fairly sparse graphics.

The front/rear view and LR Scan could be done by having individual objects per star/ship/shot, probably use indirect mode (text) for the persistent things like sights, SR Scan, status display.

How easily the computer code could be adapted? Hard to say. If it keeps track of all the dynamic stuff by position and not bitmap location then it'd make it real easy.

Why Atari didn't bother with the game? I suppose laziness plus the fact the game was somewhat old by the time 7800 came into consideration.