Stupid question perhaps, and feel free to point me somewhere to search, but is that newer Xevious binary available anywhere to download?
No, it's not available at this time. I'll let everyone know when/if it becomes available. Sorry about that.
In the meantime, enjoy these roms instead:
Morse Code Tutor - There may be more functionality in this rom than I can find. As I mentioned in my review, it's kind of hard to use.
FM Sound Tool - I haven't reviewed this one yet, but I'll post the rom anyway. This is an FM Sound generation tool that someone at Atari was working on in the early 80's. It uses the keypad controllers and generates no video (you just see some random garbage). The controls are as follows:
- SELECT cycles through 4 sound generation algorithms called EXP (default), DUO, FM and RM
- RESET changes some presets of the current algorithm
So in total you have 8 sound presets to chose from.
Within Stella (I have no keypads), on the keyboard, the outer 2 rows on the left and right keypad (1QAZ 2WSX and 8IK, 9OL.) play notes. The lowest pitch is on 8, the highest on X, so the keypads are swapped.
The D key (there should be another key on the right keypad which manipulates in reverse, but that seems not to work, at least not in Stella; if you have keypads, please try on hardware) manipulates the current sound:
- if RD (right diff) = A and B/W, the attack time is decreased
- if RD = A and COLOR, the decay time is decreased
(for the meaning of attack, decay, which are part of the so called envelope, read here.)
- if RD = B and LD = A the frequency is decreased
- else (which is the default when you start Stella) a parameter called Depth is decreased, this only has effect on the sound presets EXP and FM. Cool effect, especially with FM!
The rom I've posted fixes some bugs. Enjoy!