Donkey Kong 2: Lost Levels

donkey kong garry kitchen coleco

44 replies to this topic

#26 BrianC OFFLINE  

BrianC

Stargunner

• 1,665 posts

Posted Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:52 PM

I like this hack. Even without elevators currently, elevator level is already more fun than the CV version of it. Nice glimpse of what the 2600 version might look like with all four levels.

#27 CDS Games OFFLINE  

CDS Games

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 382 posts

Posted Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:50 AM

Thanks Brian! Since I couldn't reproduce the arcade exactly I tried to come up with something that at least played like it.

At the moment though, I put this version aside and am trying to make progress on batari's partially completed hack, as he implemented a great set of missile and ball elevators. That kills the hammer though so I'd need a separate bank for the conveyors.

#28 benbrad OFFLINE  

benbrad

Space Invader

• 22 posts

Posted Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:10 PM

Ok thanks very much.  Oh yeah,  Pleeeeeeease.  I forgot my good manners.

#29 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 17,470 posts

Posted Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:23 PM

This is cool. :thumbsup:

So awesome there are two homebrew Donkey Kongs and a hack currently ongoing at once. I dunno why, but I like just playing different versions of the same game. I've got a ton of Pacman ports: hack 'em, arcade, 4k, new pacman, etc... Then there's all the PMP ports for 7800 :P

Now it seems I've got more to entertain myself with multiple Donkey Kongs... :grin:

#30 CDS Games OFFLINE  

CDS Games

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 382 posts

Posted Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:19 PM

First experiments with batari's last version, with his awesome looking elevators. You can now ride them up and down.

Attached File  donkeykongBATelevators.bin   4KB   257 downloads

But they blink out now. Not sure why.

#31 TrekMD OFFLINE  

TrekMD

River Patroller

• 3,589 posts

Posted Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:46 PM

I just tried the binary and I'm having issues also jumping to the ledges once I get off the second elevator.  Mario doesn't move up.

#32 CDS Games OFFLINE  

CDS Games

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 382 posts

Posted Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:01 PM

The ledge heights are not set up yet, so whatever vertical position you get off the elevator you will stay at. That's the next thing I'll be working on.

#33 TrekMD OFFLINE  

TrekMD

River Patroller

• 3,589 posts

Posted Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:45 PM

No wonder. :) 

#34 Lucky Man OFFLINE  

Lucky Man

Dragonstomper

• 815 posts

Posted Sat Dec 2, 2017 12:50 AM

Hey CDS, I know you've been working on a few other amazing hacks, but I was wondering if you have made any more progress on this one? I know I'm not the only one that really liked this idea and wanted to see it finished. :-D

#35 CDS Games OFFLINE  

CDS Games

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 382 posts

Posted Sat Dec 2, 2017 7:36 AM

Well not exactly progress, but I tested out an idea that looks very promising. Took the original ROM, doubled it to 8k, then switched banks between each frame. This introduces a bit of flicker, but it also opens up a whole bunch of possibilities like:

* more sprite and playfield colors (multiple colors per line)

* two hammers per level

* two enemy types per level, or even possibly prizes (?)

If you turn on Phosphor effect in Stella to get rid of the flicker it looks pretty amazing:

DonkeyKongFlicker.png

So I might play around with this a little and see if this all can be folded into a single hack.

Edited by CDS Games, Sat Dec 2, 2017 7:40 AM.

#36 Lucky Man OFFLINE  

Lucky Man

Dragonstomper

• 815 posts

Posted Sat Dec 2, 2017 11:08 AM

I don't know... that sounds more like you're trying to make this closer to the arcade version, which is good... but I think what most of us liked is that your new levels were very much in the style of the original game, just expanded. Personally I was just hoping you could get the elevator working in level 3 and fix the few other bugs in the new levels so everything is playable. There is definitely a charm about the original 2600 game, even if it's a bit simple compared to the arcade version.

#37 pacman000 OFFLINE  

pacman000

Stargunner

• 1,233 posts

Posted Sat Dec 2, 2017 2:22 PM

Love the title and concept.

#38 CDS Games OFFLINE  

CDS Games

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 382 posts

Posted Sat Dec 2, 2017 2:48 PM

Personally I was just hoping you could get the elevator working in level 3 and fix the few other bugs in the new levels so everything is playable. There is definitely a charm about the original 2600 game, even if it's a bit simple compared to the arcade version.

Oh I agree--that's the whole reason I started this. I wasn't excluding finishing the original Coleco-style version, just something new caught my attention and I thought it'd be cool to try and potentially throw into the mix.

This is a hobby, so I tend to work on what grabs my attention at the moment. Otherwise it'd be a job where the pay is positively atrocious.

#39 Pbrook67 OFFLINE  

Pbrook67

Space Invader

• 43 posts

Posted Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:30 PM

Oh I agree--that's the whole reason I started this. I wasn't excluding finishing the original Coleco-style version, just something new caught my attention and I thought it'd be cool to try and potentially throw into the mix.

This is a hobby, so I tend to work on what grabs my attention at the moment. Otherwise it'd be a job where the pay is positively atrocious.

Will this ever com out on cart??? the whole game???

#40 CDS Games OFFLINE  

CDS Games

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 382 posts

Posted Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:24 PM

Will this ever com out on cart??? the whole game???

Given Nintendo's zealous protection of its intellectual property, I don't see how it could.

#41 4ever2600 OFFLINE  

4ever2600

Dragonstomper

• 746 posts

Posted Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:28 PM

Release it under Coleco brand. Wasn't that the way of the 80s?

#42 keebz OFFLINE  

keebz

Space Invader

• 20 posts

Posted Wed May 30, 2018 10:59 PM

I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I can get on a ride up the elevator and I can get on and ride down the elevator, But no matter what I try, I can't get off the the down elevator without it killing me. 

#43 walter_J64bit OFFLINE  

walter_J64bit

Quadrunner

• 5,143 posts

Posted Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:10 AM

Any updates? :? :D

#44 CDS Games OFFLINE  

CDS Games

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 382 posts

Posted Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:40 AM

I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I can get on a ride up the elevator and I can get on and ride down the elevator, But no matter what I try, I can't get off the the down elevator without it killing me. 

Which version? The one with invisible elevators? Start your jump when you are exactly at the level of the platform you are jumping onto. There's I think a four pixel allowance, but if you jump at the same level you should make it to the platform ok.

#45 CDS Games OFFLINE  

CDS Games

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 382 posts

Posted Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:41 AM

No, no updates. If I do I will post.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: donkey kong, garry kitchen, coleco

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users