IGNORED

Draker Quest- Complete

frankodragon

Following Atarius Maximus' Zelda example, I wanted to program another Zelda-esque adventure game with characters of my graphic novels. The player controls a dragon-like creature I call a Draker that shoots fireballs at enemies. So programming on how to get the player from the overworld map to a cave or dungeon has been driving me crazy. I started using labels but the game would crash when programming the player colliding with a ladder icon to goto a dungeon. For instance:

rem ** draker collides with the ladder icon
if boxcollision (xpos,ypos,16,16,blspace_x,blspace_y,16,16) then goto dungeon_a

I've been trying to make it work by moving around the room data statements, corresponding screen maps, etc under the label "dungeon_a".

I wonder if the dungeon maps need to be put into another memory location instead?

Here's a demo of the program. All you can do is explore and shoot fireballs at enemies. You can also talk to other drakers.

post-18158-0-29634700-1411175753_thumb.jpg

For those of you just stumbling around here for the first time, the newest build is now updated here.

test5.bas

test5.bas.a78

gfx.zip

• Like 8

I performed a test (instead of getting to the ladder icon all the time) so that the player warps to the dungeon. Well it sort of works. I had to copy and paste most of the code from the overworld and put it under the "__dungeonA" label.

Only I get this:

post-18158-0-71216400-1411278650_thumb.jpg

My player can't move, only shoot, and those "blocks" around the room are supposed to be pillars.

I'll keep working on it to find a solution.

Just a quick update:

I was able to get the dungeon code working by copy/pasting code like player movement, etc within the __dungeonA label but the labels needed to be changed within that code otherwise compiling it will give off errors.

For example the label "mainloop" was changed to "mainloop_dun." The same was for changing the names of the data strings ie. "data_move_west_dun." You don't change the names of the variables though.

One other thing is when using the alphachars for designing the rooms- I put just the room code used for the dungeon tiles under the _dungeonA as well.

Here's a few more screenshots. One of them is a bug I don't why it happens but it could be the emulator or my programming-I don't know.

This is the first dungeon. It does have a few enemies and a door that can be unlocked with key:

post-18158-0-69882300-1411590236_thumb.jpg

I have to remember to use "gosub" and "return" instead of "goto" when it comes to going back to the overworld.

Here's the "bug" I get when exiting the dungeon:

post-18158-0-42690700-1411590433_thumb.jpg

I've also added an "HP" counter for collisions with enemies.

I still have to figure out how to get the player to a certain overworld "room". I've tried something like "if room>(room #) && room<(room#) then room#[room]" but wouldn't that declare that room be that number. So far the only thing that does happen is the player starts near the beginning point.

• Like 4

Following Atarius Maximus' Zelda example, I wanted to program another Zelda-esque adventure game with characters of my graphic novels. The player controls a dragon-like creature I call a Draker that shoots fireballs at enemies. So programming on how to get the player from the overworld map to a cave or dungeon has been driving me crazy. I started using labels but the game would crash when programming the player colliding with a ladder icon to goto a dungeon. For instance:

I've been trying to make it work by moving around the room data statements, corresponding screen maps, etc under the label "dungeon_a".

I wonder if the dungeon maps need to be put into another memory location instead?

Here's a demo of the program. All you can do is explore and shoot fireballs at enemies. You can also talk to other drakers.

attachicon.gifdraker_screen_A.jpg

attachicon.giftest5.basattachicon.giftest5.bas.a78attachicon.gifgfx.zip

Any BINs of this?

• 4 months later...

Okay, I said I would move my updates to the blogs, and after a while, I think some might overlooked the blogs, so I'll update here again instead. Right now the game is 256K. So far, the game is like cross between Zelda, a shooter and now a little bit of Final Fantasy Legend with the inclusion of a tower leading to several other world maps.

You will need another emulator instead of ProSystem as that emulator doesn't support 256K. You may want to use MESS instead. The maps in later levels may be screwed up as I haven't fixed them yet. Please let me know if you run into any other problems.

test_beta.bas.bin

test_beta.bas.a78

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Franco

The glitches,I meant were symbols.I found out that they are NO glitches :)

But the titlescreen is shown uncompletely on my NTSC system with CC2

Otherwise;could you give me some explanation about the monsters?And about the Guys,i meet around?How can I raise my Hitpoints.There are two SCORE ???? tables.One is for my Energy

and the other?How complete is the game till now?

I found the key and another object......I opened the door,but then I got COLD :)

A little manual would be helpful

BTW a really great game.

Monsters will take away your HP especially those beetle-like enemies. Shoot them before they get you. There are snakes, stingers, blobs, rats, some weird-thingy creature which I haven't got a name for yet, meanflies, lizards, scorpions.

The score table above is supposed to be your "points" counter. I have to get it to work, but you trade those points for other items. If you defeat enemies or get treasure, you'll earn points.

You can talk to the other characters that resemble yours simply by bumping into them.

You can replenish your HP by touching beds. (I have updated this so you can enter the first cave, head right and find the blue bed to replenish your HP.)

With the keys, they're necessary. They open the gates in the overworld. Once you got a key, then you'll have to find the exit out of the dungeon. You could also exit the dungeon without a key, but the gate will remain.

As for how complete the game is, I'd say it's around 60%. But since I had to go up to 512K perhaps I can add a few more levels. :)

The newest revision has been updated http://atariage.com/forums/topic/229946-working-title-draker-quest/?p=3186920