IGNORED

Draker Quest- Complete

frankodragon

I haven't had much luck with the HSC save and load memory code so I've wrote some additional code that if the player dies, he'll start on an overworld map if he pushes the fire button during the "Poor Little Guy- He's Out Cold" screen. If the player dies in a dungeon or tower, then he should land on a previous overworld map hopefully not starting back to the beginning of the game.

Updated here.

Hi Franco

Savekey works now :)

But when entering the dungeon in world 1

with the 2 snakes,my player moves slower now

greetings Walter

It has to do with too many plotsprites in the bank. In other words, if there's too many objects, then the game will slow down. It should work now. I also thought about letting the player continue on the same level instead of being thrown back. Keep in mind I'm using code to let the player continue. I'm not using savekey since it doesn't seem to work for me. :?

Newest version

Updated again. I made changes so the Ice World is optional. The second floor of the tower has two exits: one to the optional Ice World, the other to Dark World. They key to open the gate is on the floor somewhere. The Ice World also has an optional tower that's identical to the second floor, only it has a different color and no gate inside, but it does have a few treasures.

One very important note: I'm trying to get this to be used with the HSC to save progress. Please make sure the RIGHT difficulty switch is set to the 'left' setting while playing. The 'right' setting resets the gamesave.

Also some maps of the first two floors:

Tower Floor One:

post-18158-0-17887100-1432680782_thumb.jpg

Tower Floor Two: (and three)

post-18158-0-08369900-1432680775_thumb.jpg

I'll have maps made for floors four through six later on.

• Like 1

Hi Franco

good news....HSC seems to work.Gameplay is great....Is it possible,that HSC loads the old savepoint,when i turn off the system and start again?And i have a big problem...i cannot find this damn key in the Ice Tower again :(

Is it always on the same place?

greetings Walter

Hi Franco

good news....HSC seems to work.Gameplay is great....Is it possible,that HSC loads the old savepoint,when i turn off the system and start again?

That's what I'm trying to figure out. I've found out MESS is now part of new releases of MAME. I was using an old version of MESS, which is one reason I couldn't get the save/loading to work on my end, until I found out the new versions have been integrated into MAME. But so far it's still a WIP.

So far with HSC if you reset the game by switching the right difficulty switch to the right position then the game starts where is usually starts. However if you start with the difficulty switch in the LEFT position, then you'll start in a cave with a few beds and then you can exit onto the main mapworld. Because of this weird behavior , I've changed the map around a little in the first area so players cannot cheat by skipping the first gate/dungeon. Still though why it starts in a cave when I programmed it to start in the usual way is a mystery to me.

Updated version here.

Edit: Just found out "var99" wasn't taken so I used that for the "stage" variable and it doesn't start in the cave. However I still have to figure out why it isn't saving.

I've done a little testing on how to figure out to get the game to save/load. I've used text to tell me what stage #, i.e. if stage=1 then "one" would display on the screen. That tells me the stage variable works. So I have to some more digging on how to get the game to actually save/load that variable when the power's turned off, then on again.

I tried testing the save where the player was, whether it could be in an overworld, dungeon or cave but no matter what I did, from changing the address to moving the 'savememory' code, nothing worked. This is when the player would turn off the system, then turn it back on again; not when the game was over and the player could continue. The thing that worries me though, if I were able to get to get the above working, when the player began where he left off, he could be sent to room 1 of that certain stage (bank). The player would be caught in a dead-end with no way out.

I've learned some strange behaivor when I gave the 'stage' an address of $27E4. That would tell the game to start in a cave (bank 4). I've also changed other addresses around that address to lower addresses starting from $2200. If the player would get a key, then a 'savememory' command would be issued so, hopefully, that would save the variable related to the key.

Anyway, here's the next build:

Hi Franco

i made it to the tower in Darkworld......But then i lost my energy...saving did not work..,

Poo little guy...appeared and i could not start again :(

BTW:Is the Boss in the Darkworld tower?

greetings Walter

Were you in the tower that you lost your energy, or did you die right away just as you entered the tower? As for the boss, he's in the Darkworld Two Tower. You'll have to get through Overworld Three, and Waterworld before getting into DarkWorld Two where the boss is hiding.

I made some minor changes in the game. What I haven't been able to accomplish is allow to save the game, turn it off, turn it back on again, then resume from where it left off.

Newest file here.

Another update: The end levels were glitchy as hell so I had to renumber my dim addresses. This site also helps to know what comes next. First I put all the dims together staring with 'screenram=$2200' but after that, then the game's graphics were all messed up. So I kept the screenram address at $2200, and renumbering all the other dims (except the ones' a-z 'and the var="name") starting at $2700 organizing all the dims together around there. I also fixed the map on the fourth floor of the tower and the other issues (hopefully).

newest build

Most of the maps starting with the Overworld Two map are connected via the Tower (a la Final Fantasy Legend). On the fourth floor there are two exits. One which is located on the very top part of the map is blocked by a gate. The other in is an exit to Overworld Three. There you'll have to visit a few dungeons and caves to find the key that opens the Gate on the Fourth Floor. Once you get the key, the gate on that fourth floor should be gone. Then that leads to a Fifth floor and that leads to a Water World map where you have to find a key there, but there are no dungeons. Then you'll go up another floor of the Tower, Floor Six, which, finally leads to Dark World Two. Then that has a few dungeons but only one key is real. The other is a fake and won't open the gate blocking to the Seventh Floor where the Boss is hiding.