IGNORED

Learning Assembly, would like to program on an old school Videogame system

JPjuice23

I'm taking an electronics class where we are learning Atmega16A assembly. I'd like to take assembly even further and learn how to program games or little demo programs on old videogame systems.

I'm aware that there is a lot to learn, and assembly differs from different hardware, but I find programming for older systems to be so neat, so it's worth the trouble.

However, I'm wondering, WHICH system should I program for??? Atari, NES? One of the other retro systems? Are older systems harder to work with because of the limitations? Or are newer systems harder to work with because they are more complex? Do you guys even program these systems in assembly, and is what I'm trying to do totally irrelevant in learning how to be an assembly master?

Thanks for reading

Many people program the Atari 2600 in assembly. I tinkered with it a little. It's a challenge.

There's a lot of information and good tutorials here on programming the 2600 in assembly.

Pinned at the top of this linked forum is a Programming For Newbies thread plus a wealth of other information: http://atariage.com/forums/forum/50-atari-2600-programming/

See also this recent thread, which contains some useful hints. Much points to the 7800 would be a good entry level console, but YMMV.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/228576-what-system-do-you-think-is-the-easiest-to-create-a-game-for/

As you're willing to dwelve into assembly language, you aren't limited to machines with a decent higher level programming language, but I still would raise my flag for 8-bit home computers, either if you want to try C64, Atari 8-bit or something else, as those usually have more memory to work with, you can eventually transfer your executables to real hardware without the need of a Flash cart or EPROM programmer, there usually is plenty of documentation and example programs, although I suppose many vintage consoles are well documented as well.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll wait a bit on programming for the NES or Atari. Instead, I'm going to get the Uzebox, which is programmed using an AVR chip. Perhaps over time, I will be ready enough to start delving into retro videogame programming

JPjuice23,

you can get up to speed fast writing Assembly on the Atari 2600 with the ASDK, a free framework that abstracts the hardware like the NES and lets you build games on Tape or Cart; check out the Learn Assembly in 8 hours link in my signature :)

• Like 1