Photo

"Invenies Verba" (latin: "find the words")

new game puzzle turbobasic xl word game

11 replies to this topic

#1 billkendrick OFFLINE  

billkendrick

Chopper Commander

• 121 posts

Posted Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:06 AM

A few months ago I became aware of a game (by a small company that a friend & past co-worker of mine works for now) for iPhone and Android called "LEX".  It's a fast-action word puzzle that's a lot of fun to play.  So... I've cloned it for the Atari 8-bit, of course! :)

You can learn more about it, and download it from http://newbreedsoftware.com/iverba/ (or see attachment).

iverba-1200xl.jpg

The objective is to get as high a score as you can, by entering words.  You get a stack of random letters, and create words by using some of those letters (they'll get replaced by more random letters).  Similar to games like Scrabble, each letter is given a point value -- common letters have low scores, uncommon letters have high scores.

The catch is, you need to use letters before they run out of time -- in LEX, the letter's color changes (as though it's filling up) from bottom to top; in Invenis Verba, I draw a little vertical line next to each letter -- if any letter "fills up", the game ends!  Different letters' meters fill up at different rates -- common letters fill up fast, uncommon letters fill up more slowly.

The current release of the game (1.0, my first beta release) contains two dictionaries: English (4800 3- to 8-letter words), and German (2000 3- to 8-letter words).  Others can be made, which I'll get into a little below.  (It's late, so in the end, I'll probably wait for people to ask for help before I try to explain everything in too much detail.)

Due to how I've constructed the dictionaries, only 15 ASCII characters (A-Z) from each language's alphabet are used.  (I pick the most frequently-used letters, then grab all of the 3- to N-letter words that contain just those letters.  In English, based on the /usr/share/dict/american-english file on my Ubuntu laptop, it uses A, C, D, E, G, I, L, M, N, O, P, R, S, T, and U.)  I've also had success generating French, Italian and Spanish dictionaries.

I've been developing this game on my Linux laptop, entering TurboBASIC XL code as plain ASCII into a text editor, and then using a tool I made during the NOMAM 2014 contest to convert that to ATASCII, and fire up Atari800 emulator to actually load and run the code.  I made another simple tool (in PHP of all things; it's because I use it all day at my day job!) to come up with, and store/pack the dictionary files.

I use a binary search to find words in the dictionary -- you can't just enter random junk and get points, it has to be a word -- and it's playable but kind of slow in straight TubroBASIC XL.  Therefore, the ATR disk image I released (at the site above, or also attached to this post) contains the compiled TBXL, which runs much faster.  (Note: I'll be tweaking the meter speed, since now that goes a little too fast.)

I've also posted the source code & tools & instructions I use to build the game, so if you have a Linux box handy, you should be able to play with the code. (Maybe I need to post it to github? :) )

Anyway, tell me what you think!  And be sure to check out LEX, which is a lot of fun to play.  (Oh, and they recently open-sourced their code!)

Attached Files

Edited by billkendrick, Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:07 AM.

#2 Bunsen OFFLINE  

Bunsen

Dragonstomper

• 878 posts

Posted Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:27 AM

Great! I played it with english words, couldn't get the german version to work.

#3 Mclaneinc ONLINE  

Mclaneinc

Retro Madman

• 6,695 posts

Posted Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:24 AM

Love it although I don't think as fast as I thought :)

#4 Stephen OFFLINE  

Stephen

Quadrunner

• 7,649 posts
  • A8 Gear Head

Posted Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:12 PM

Cool game - but apparently I have the verbal skills of a sped :(  I'll see how bad the gf trounces me in a second.

#5 drac030 OFFLINE  

drac030

Stargunner

• 1,836 posts

Posted Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:33 PM

Just a general remark: "invenies" is future tense second person singular, so the title actually means "you will find the words" or (as there are no definite/indefinite articles in Latin) "you will find words".

#6 Mclaneinc ONLINE  

Mclaneinc

Retro Madman

• 6,695 posts

Posted Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:31 AM

Show off :)

#7 Stephen OFFLINE  

Stephen

Quadrunner

• 7,649 posts
  • A8 Gear Head

Posted Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:49 AM

Just a general remark: "invenies" is future tense second person singular, so the title actually means "you will find the words" or (as there are no definite/indefinite articles in Latin) "you will find words".

Why was I immediately reminded of this?

Shame I've forgotten all of my Latin lessons, I took three years in high school.

• slx likes this

#8 therealbountybob OFFLINE  

therealbountybob

High Score Club Overlord and Caretaker

• 8,300 posts
  • still bl**dy assembling

Posted Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:39 AM

This is a really nice game, just needs to have longer timers and a some more words adding, what no SUD!

My best score 335.

Perhaps an easy mode with longer timers and the normal game with challenging timers would be nice. 3 lives perhaps.

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

#9 +Adam+ OFFLINE  

+Adam+

Moonsweeper

• 488 posts

Posted Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:55 PM

I played it with english words, couldn't get the german version to work.

Yeah, it seems that the language selection (A/B) doesn't work :/

#10 billkendrick OFFLINE  

billkendrick

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 121 posts

Posted Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:56 PM

Hah, I knew I should've checked with someone who actually knew Latin. (I don't, obviously)

This is a really nice game, just needs to have longer timers and a some more words adding, what no SUD!

My best score 335.

Perhaps an easy mode with longer timers and the normal game with challenging timers would be nice. 3 lives perhaps.

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Yeah, under compiled TurboBASIC XL it runs quite a bit faster (which is good, since that makes the complicated stuff like scoring and dictionary look-up run at a reasonable rate). I need to adjust to account for that. :)

Also, "sud" isn't a word (I checked Google).  Did you mean "suds"?  (Each letter would only appear once, BTW, so that's not actually possible in this game.)

Yeah, it seems that the language selection (A/B) doesn't work :/

Oops,. it's suppose to ask the first time you boot, but I left the file on there after I chose English.  From the title screen, press [Option].

Thanks for trying it out, everyone!  At the _least_, it shows the potential for what a real game could do.  Maybe I'll inspire some awesome coder in these parts.

#11 drac030 OFFLINE  

drac030

Stargunner

• 1,836 posts

Posted Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:21 AM

Hah, I knew I should've checked with someone who actually knew Latin.

Although it was a mistake, it is not that bad. For the classical Latin it is pretty bad, but in the Late Empire, say in 4th or 5th century AD, the future simple active indicative second person singular was quite often used instead of the second person's imperative. And if the polite form was intended, i.e. the present active subjunctive "invenias" (= please find), then these two forms (fut. and subj.) are notoriously confused in medieval manuscripts.

So even if this is a form of a corrupt Latin, in either case there are well established historical precedents for it. ;)

#12 barnsey123 OFFLINE  

barnsey123

Space Invader

• 19 posts
  • Drink! Feck! Girls!

Posted Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:45 AM

Good game, addictive but maybe too fast. Slow it down a bit and keep user stats (top 5 longest words etc) 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new game, puzzle, turbobasic xl, word game

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users