IGNORED

Finally used the 1040 STe after about 15 years

Zap!

I got my 1040 STe in 1991, accumulating loads of software. Well, it sat for 15 years and was filthy. Took it apart (there were missing screws, but they were replaced) and cleaned it real good. Ordered a nice RGB cable, hooked it up to my Atari SC1435 monitor, and powered it on. Screen comes up real nice, but none of my disks work so far, as all are getting an error. The second disk (old PD stuff) read the contents, but now it doesn't even do that. I know they are old, but none working leads me to believe it's a possible floppy drive issue.

I'd be happy to replace it, but I'd like to know for sure first. Any good way to clean it? Maybe it's all my disks after all? Please help, I wanna play. Next up the XE GS comes out, but this first. :)

If machine was filthy then there is likely dirt in floppy drive too. You need to clean it immediately, since it even may damage floppy disks.

There are head cleaning kits, methods, but in your case best is to open drive and clean it thoroughly. Heads with little alcohol and fine cloth.

I actually had a new cleaning disk. Sprayed it and put it in. After I used it, I tried a bunch of disks and it read almost every one. But after a few more tried, it no longer read any disks again.

I'm going to plead ignorance on how to clean it by opening it up. I did a quick search and could not find any videos. Do you know of any, or any kind of instructions with pics? Worst comes to worst, I can always order a new drive.

By the way, what kind of drive is in the STe? 700k right?

I'm going to plead ignorance on how to clean it by opening it up. I did a quick search and could not find any videos. Do you know of any, or any kind of instructions with pics? Worst comes to worst, I can always order a new drive.

By the way, what kind of drive is in the STe? 700k right?

In Ataris is not exactly standard 720K floppy drive. See this: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/229673-falcon-floppy-replacement/

Pics for opening floppy drive ? Every model is different. You can bring that drive to some service, where experts can clean it - if it will not cost more than new-old drive :)