IGNORED

7800 A/V RCA Mod Question

nosweargamer

Hi guys. I recently bought a modded 7800 off of ebay with a RCA A/V mod. I wanted it to get a cleaner picture than RF and for recording for my youtube show. However, when I tested the console I bought, the picture was worse! I noticed several scan lines and dots and when I tried Pole Position II, it even had occasional horizontal line flickering.

What I wanted to know was this: Is this normal for modded 7800 systems since they weren't originally designed for RCA cables, or is this due to a lower quality mod job?

It could be a fault with the mod job, but it could be also due to the display you are using and how it handles the composite signal. I've seen some HDTV's look good with composite and some horrible.

If using a CRT, then I would more strongly lean on a problem with the mod job; however, it is always best to test on another display as well, to definitely rule out the device you are watching on is not the source of the problem(s).

It could be a fault with the mod job, but it could be also due to the display you are using and how it handles the composite signal. I've seen some HDTV's look good with composite and some horrible.

If using a CRT, then I would more strongly lean on a problem with the mod job; however, it is always best to test on another display as well, to definitely rule out the device you are watching on is not the source of the problem(s).

Agreed, recheck all connections and, if possible, plug it into a CRT display. If the CRT display doesn't look clear and crisp then the mod was likely botched.

Yeah, the same thing happened with both my HD and CRT tvs. I even tried with different RCA chords. So I'm guessing it was a lower quality job.

If you have a modded 7800, do you notice a cleaner, better picture?

Mine has an s-video mod and it looks great. I can't verify this, but I believe the composite (RCA) mod should look just as good.

Mine is the AV mod from Best. No switches to mess with; 2600 and 7800 both work fantastic. Sound is noticeably cleaner than on my 4-switcher RF. Some 2600 games looked a little off or over-saturated, but all my 2600 homebrews display correctly. I realized many early Atari games had gut-wrenching color schemes as they looked bad on my 4-switcher too.

• 7 months later...