IGNORED

How many 2600 games do you own...

Army Of 2600

attachicon.gifedna-181x300.jpg

Edna Mode

Nice, Lulz :love:

In the case of collections, there's no really midrange figure. Hardcore collectors who are more likely to post in online forums will have large numbers of games ranging in the hundreds. A more casual collector or the guy who pulls the items out of his attic from time to time will have far fewer, perhaps a dozen or less.

So assuming accurate statistics can be calculated (which they can't), the mode and median in this case will be well below the average figure due to the fact that numerous collectors may have an order of magnitude more games than the casuals. This creates a disparity similar to the distribution of wealth, where the top 10% of individuals control 90% of the wealth. In almost all cases, the statistics for such an unequal distribution will look something like this:

Mode < Median < Average

In situations like these, the textbook formulas like standard deviation and bell curve get thrown out the window. Instead, you get a curve where the number of games owned is roughly inversely proportional to the number of people who own said quantity of games. Given the popularity of later gen systems such as Nintendo, and the relative obscurity of Atari in general, I can guarantee that the "Mode" for number of Atari carts owned, even among gamers, is zero. Median will be relatively small, and has the potential to also be zero (if less than half of all gamers own at least one Atari cart, then the median will also be zero). Average, who the hell knows.

Dismissing all collections with zero Atari carts or [insert other game system / subset here] will still conform to the following formula, I beleve:

0 < Mode < Median < Average

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

I believe between 150-175. The funny thing is, I've been culling my LP collection, but I refuse to part with any of my 2600 carts. Oh, I'm seriously considering adding Stella's Stocking to the collection. I've had the order page pulled up for a few days.....guess I should bite the bullet! :-D

After a recent clear out (for space reasons) I only own around a dozen games now all of them releases from the past few years. I just use my Harmony for the classic stuff.

I do miss seeing loads of 2600 carts piled up against the wall though (a la General Mike) ... There's something mesmerising about looking at a wall full of 2600 carts for me. It's my modern art I suppose!

• Like 2

After a recent clear out (for space reasons) I only own around a dozen games now all of them releases from the past few years. I just use my Harmony for the classic stuff.

I do miss seeing loads of 2600 carts piled up against the wall though (a la General Mike) ... There's something mesmerising about looking at a wall full of 2600 carts for me. It's my modern art I suppose!

Yeah, my wife doesn't miss seeing all of my carts in trays on the floor (Harmony Cart = :thumbsup:) , but there is something interesting about seeing them all at once.

I'm thinking of putting up a high shelf in my home office to display them. Somewhere in the vicinity of the pinball machine, neon sign, clock and my gaming CRT should be acceptable.

I own all of my 2600 games. I haven't borrowed or stolen any of them.

Somebody's been digging up Alamogordo, I see: Finders Keepers! :rolling:

I believe between 150-175. The funny thing is, I've been culling my LP collection, but I refuse to part with any of my 2600 carts. Oh, I'm seriously considering adding Stella's Stocking to the collection. I've had the order page pulled up for a few days.....guess I should bite the bullet! :-D

I see Stella's Stocking is back in stock. I guess that's a positive sign. It was one of my first AtariAge purchases, in May 2012 no doubt. Definitely worth it IMO.

Stay frosty and Grandma's Revenge are two of my favorite minigames. In Grandma's Revenge, you can also plug in a Driving controller in player 2 instead of a joystick... :)

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am an old gamer who is very new to collecting. Just thought it would be fun to do with my teenage son. We made the decision to start collecting 5 weeks ago and our Atari 2600 collection is at 211. If you count all the old consoles we are collecting we are at 390. I guess you can call that jumping in with both feet.

I own every game... potentially.

I got all the carts I'll ever need:

Harmony

NES PowerPak

Everdrive N8 (Famicom)

SNES Everdrive

Everdrive MD

Turbo Everdrive

Just missing the ED64 and the upcoming Harmony Concerto (7800) and I'll have all my cart systems covered.

I could sell off 90% of my games (excluding homebrews) and still have access to everything.

But then what fun would it be to collect games if I already have everything? :P

• Like 1

CIB: Combat, Demon Attack, Yars Revenge, Video Pinball, Space Shuttle, Video Olympics, Super Breakout

cart only : Megamania, Circus Atari, Kaboom!, Warlords, Space Invaders, Road Runner, Phoenix, Carnival, Dodge 'em

Homebrew : Medieval Mania.

I also have a 32-in-1 cart but I wouldn't count that.

16 then.

However, I have a Harmony Cart with a complete romset so from the point of view of gameplay I'm sorted - I never touch my carts!

I would like to have my favourites all CIB which would amount to maybe 20 or 30 games but I'm toying with getting an NTSC console before doing that. It's great playing PAL60 games via the Harmony but I would rather have a nice collection of my favourites CIB running at 60Hz.

Edited by davyK