INTYColor tutorial

INTYColor

11 replies to this topic

#1 Tarzilla OFFLINE  

Tarzilla

Stargunner

• 1,751 posts

Posted Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:25 PM

Looking for a way to learn INTYBasic? One of the ways to quickly get something pretty up on the screen is to use the INTYColor utility included with the newer versions.

I have been working on this for awhile, mostly for my own purposes, but here is a step by step walkthru on how to create a screen compatible with Nanochess's wonderful tool.

Attached Files

#2 Cybearg OFFLINE  

Cybearg

Dragonstomper

• 950 posts

Posted Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:00 AM

I saw this posted earlier and skimmed through it. Looks great! Thanks much for writing it out! I always wondered what IntyColor was for.

#3 nanochess ONLINE  

nanochess

River Patroller

• 4,727 posts
  • Coding something good

Posted Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:48 AM

Looking for a way to learn INTYBasic? One of the ways to quickly get something pretty up on the screen is to use the INTYColor utility included with the newer versions.

I have been working on this for awhile, mostly for my own purposes, but here is a step by step walkthru on how to create a screen compatible with Nanochess's wonderful tool.

Pretty cool tutorial!

Thanks for your effort :) :thumbsup:

#4 Tarzilla OFFLINE  

Tarzilla

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,751 posts

Posted Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:35 PM

Apparently I forgot the .zip file

Attached File  IntyColorTutorial.zip   2.93KB   140 downloads

#5 vprette OFFLINE  

vprette

Stargunner

• 1,342 posts

Posted Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:45 AM

Hello

thanks for the tutorial

I need help:

If I just use the .bas source produced in the example, and after that I add some PRINT

PRINT AT 0 COLOR 7,"Welcome human"
PRINT AT 40 COLOR 7,"Play versus"
PRINT AT 60 COLOR 7,"Intellivision"

I obtain unwanted characters with balck background: what do I do to PRINT message over the background?

Edited by vprette, Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:46 AM.

#6 Tarzilla OFFLINE  

Tarzilla

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,751 posts

Posted Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:07 PM

Hello

thanks for the tutorial

I need help:

If I just use the .bas source produced in the example, and after that I add some PRINT

PRINT AT 0 COLOR 7,"Welcome human"
PRINT AT 40 COLOR 7,"Play versus"
PRINT AT 60 COLOR 7,"Intellivision"

I obtain unwanted characters with balck background: what do I do to PRINT message over the background?

You are seeing a limitation of Mode 1 Foreground Background mode. You lose the lower case character set.

Change the text

PRINT AT 0 COLOR 7,"WELCOME HUMAN"
PRINT AT 40 COLOR 7,"PLAY VERSUS"
PRINT AT 60 COLOR 7,"INTELLIVISION"

Color Stack mode doesn't have this limitation, but I find F/B mode easier to create screens with.

#7 Tarzilla OFFLINE  

Tarzilla

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,751 posts

Posted Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:19 PM

The color parameter is confusing because it simply sends the value to the STIC. It assumes you understand how the color parameter is formed, where from a high level a programmer might expect something more like this:

Print at 20, color 2,4, "Test" where 2 is the foreground color and 4 is the background color.

Instead you have to use bitwise addition to set both foreground and backgound colors in one number. I'm just heading into a meeting so if Nanochess or others don't chime in I'll respond later tonight.

#8 Cybearg OFFLINE  

Cybearg

Dragonstomper

• 950 posts

Posted Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:46 PM

IntyMapper can be used to get the values you want as well as to see how tiles will look in FGBG and Color Stack modes.

#9 freewheel OFFLINE  

freewheel

River Patroller

• 2,880 posts

Posted Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:37 PM

Seconded. Even if you don't use it for screen design, IntyMapper is a GREAT reference tool to remind you of what you can use in each graphics mode - in terms of what cards are available, and what colors can be used with each.

#10 Tarzilla OFFLINE  

Tarzilla

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,751 posts

Posted Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:59 PM

In a pinch you can also use this

http://knox.ac.free.fr/inty_workshop/

#11 Cybearg OFFLINE  

Cybearg

Dragonstomper

• 950 posts

Posted Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:23 AM

In a pinch you can also use this

http://knox.ac.free.fr/inty_workshop/

Wish I would have known about that! Then I wouldn't of had to make SpriteAid!

#12 Tarzilla OFFLINE  

Tarzilla

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,751 posts

Posted Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:17 AM

Wish I would have known about that! Then I wouldn't of had to make SpriteAid!

Before IntyBasic came out I started down the road of pure assembler (and basically read every thread in the Intellivision Programming sub forum and in the Yahoo group) Somewhere in there was this link. Between it and Paint.net/ IntyColor I've not felt the need to create any of my own tools (which I normally would have plus learning the STIC and using Constant statements for various color and MOB parameters helps too) 

Now if Intycolor had the option to convert tiles to BITMAP statements instead of just DATA, this add-on for Paint.Net would be really handy.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: INTYColor

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users