IGNORED

If you are on Facebook, please join us in this Atari 7800-specific group!

Lynxpro

Centralized location for information instead of being spread around thousands of forum threads. Some people are on Facebook more than AA.

Not to mention there's a lot of video game enthusiasts on FB that aren't on AA. We can actually drive people who don't know about this place over to here as well.

Edited by Lynxpro
  • Like 2

share f and share t on the bottom of the forum is not enough? Scary as I never want any relation ever to facebook. Google atari. is not atari age not one of the first results.

If you join facebook to find out about atari maybe you have issues as there is already atariage??

I'm not going to defend Facebook. There's millions of Facebook users across the globe and there's probably a few million of them that have encountered Atari related products over the years. A few of them may find our groups and become interested in the subject, people who probably never would've stumbled upon AtariAge. Curt's Atari Museum Facebook group is very active and there seems to be more ex-Atari employees actively participating there than on AtariAge, for instance.

Being honest, I have come across a group or two under Facebook whose member(s) are well-aware of AtariAge and their comments and attitudes towards this site and/or (some of) its members have been less than noble and even quite disparaging.

It's understandable that there may be some, perhaps even a considerable number who are aware of Facebook and not AtariAge; however, could not similar comments be made about Twitter or the many other social media groups/circles? Are more accounts/social media groups being considered to be initiated? There can wind up being a lot of places to be "a part" of.

I guess being a member of this community since its "Nexus" days [before there was even a MySpace - remember that "huge" social media site...lol], I really don't see the need to be a part of a specific Facebook group or groups to discuss things related to Atari; especially 7800 specific. Considering many do not feel comfortable with the amount of privacy offered (or better put, not offered) with such social media accounts as Facebook - AtariAge is indeed a breath of fresh-air.

Do wish the two groups: '7800 Gamers' specific and 'Trak-ball' specific the best of luck, and truly hope they're able to direct those ignorant of AtariAge to this site to enjoy its vast knowledge, history, and comradery that a significant portion of the 33,000+ forum members share.

• Like 4

Being honest, I have come across a group or two under Facebook whose member(s) are well-aware of AtariAge and their comments and attitudes towards this site and/or (some of) its members have been less than noble and even quite disparaging.

It's understandable that there may be some, perhaps even a considerable number who are aware of Facebook and not AtariAge; however, could not similar comments be made about Twitter or the many other social media groups/circles? Are more accounts/social media groups being considered to be initiated? There can wind up being a lot of places to be "a part" of.

I guess being a member of this community since its "Nexus" days [before there was even a MySpace - remember that "huge" social media site...lol], I really don't see the need to be a part of a specific Facebook group or groups to discuss things related to Atari; especially 7800 specific. Considering many do not feel comfortable with the amount of privacy offered (or better put, not offered) with such social media accounts as Facebook - AtariAge is indeed a breath of fresh-air.

Do wish the two groups: '7800 Gamers' specific and 'Trak-ball' specific the best of luck, and truly hope they're able to direct those ignorant of AtariAge to this site to enjoy its vast knowledge, history, and comradery that a significant portion of the 33,000+ forum members share.

Just for the record, the people that have disparaged AtariAge on Facebook are not members of either of these groups. You are probably referring to The Laird and that user from Germany who claimed his mods were the best in the world and was then rightfully chased away from here when his mods were proven to be junk.

• Like 1

I have no plans of joining. I am a private person that isn't big on social media like Facebook and Twitter.

I do not feel comfortable with the amount of privacy offered (or better put, not offered) with such social media accounts as Facebook and I don't have a have Facebook account as a result.

• Like 6

I agree with the sentiment of others who disagree with Facebook's privacy policy. Sorry I prefer to keep my internet and social lives private. Facebook requires you to use your real name, lists your location publicly, all posts you "like" are veiwable to everyone so anyone can see where you've been and whom you've made friends with. I am fortuntate that my surname is very common, which ironically gives me an extra layer of privacy online. Also a lot of obviously unrelated criminal reports of people across the country with the same name I have. To create an account on Facebook I have to use my real name which doesn't fly too well with me. Creating an alias is also expressly forbidden by TOS as it is considered a false identity and defeats the purpose because people who knew you won't then be able to "connect." If you wanna see where I've been online, just simply Google the moniker "StarDust4Ever". I have several hobbies besides video game collecting going on and am members of numerous forums. I still get email notifications from people who want to "connect" with me. I send them emails to get back in touch but they simply do not resond. I also don't have texting enabled on my flip phone, or any type of data plan, not to mention textingbon a keypad sucks ass (I disabled it years ago when I started recieving spam and it cost me 25 cents per message - never bothered to reenable it). It seems email / voice calling are forgotten technologies in the 21st century. Sorry, but if you can't find the effort to open your mouth in order to call me or type up an email, then why should I bother with unneeded very nonprivate online accounts to keep in touch? And don't even get me started on "Cloud" storage... :P

• Like 2

How could an atari fan hate AA? Its full of Atari!

It's also got it's fair share of "Smartest People in the Room" who like to crap on threads (like this, for instance) or carry on bitterness based on years' old feuds.

As the starter of the FB group Lynxpro linked, I'm not going to defend either FB or anyone's choice to join or not join my group. It's an alternative place for lighthearted fun and discussion, questions and game screenshots, et cetera.

In other words, it is what it is. If you think you'd enjoy it, great and welcome. If not, great. No one's forcing anyone to do anything. :)

Edited by DrVenkman
  • Like 1

As someone who's not on Facebook, what's the point of FB groups like this? Wouldn't it be better to keep it all housed up here? Does it confer some benefit that I can't think of? I'm genuinely curious and not trying to poo-poo the idea in any way.

I think the AtariAge Facebook group is redundant. People frequently post on the Facebook page when they could be posting here on the forums where there's more traffic.

There's more of a community feel here on the forums than there is on Facebook. Just my impression.

I think the AtariAge Facebook group is redundant. People frequently post on the Facebook page when they could be posting here on the forums where there's more traffic.

There's more of a community feel here on the forums than there is on Facebook. Just my impression.

A redundancy and Facebook connection??? Say it ain't so!

Trak-Bombers - For Fans of the Trak-Ball!: https://www.facebook.com/groups/trakbombers/
Oh, and (as mentioned)...
Still, we need more Atari Facebook groups :evil:
Atari 5200 SuperSystem Gamers, Atari VCS Players, Atari Homebrews, Atari Hacks, Atari Label Variation Collectors, Atari NTSC Gamers, Atari PAL Gamers, Atari SECAM Gamers, Atari Mods, Atari Composite Mod, Atari S-Video Mod, Atari POKEY, Atari Dual POKEY, Atari Quad POKEY, Atari High Score Club, Atari Programmers, Atari Fryers, Atari Emulation, Atari International, Atari Continental US, Atari US with Commonwealths, Atari US without Commonwealths, Atari Marketplace, Atari Events, Atari US Events, Atari Euro Events, Atari Stella, Atari Pam, Atari Maria, Atari Corp., Atari Corporation, Atari Real Hardware Only Players, Atari Emulation Only Players, Atari Players That Swing Either Way, The Official Atari Gamers Who Support More Atari Facebook Groups...
:grin:
To each their own...Whatever makes you happy or/and floats your boat...Que sera, sera... :)
  • Like 3