Photo

Intellivision Flashback All-In-One Game Manual

31 replies to this topic

#1 mthompson ONLINE  

mthompson

Dragonstomper

• 893 posts

Posted Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:51 PM

I thought it might be convent to have all of the game manuals for titles that are on the Flashback in a single document, so I made one. For "unreleased" games (Brickout, Blow Out, etc.) I created some simple manuals from the information that's available. A table of contents lists all 60 games, with the names hyperlinked so you can just click on a game and go straight to its manual without having to hunt for it.

Intv-Flashback-TOC.jpg

If Intellivisiongames.com sticks with text-only game instructions, at least this manual will give people an easy way to access the full illustrated manuals and get the most out of the games and their shiny new console.

At 744 pages and almost 90 MB, the file is big, so I've uploaded it elsewhere. Here's a link to the file: http://tinyurl.com/qhqd7r6

Hopefully some people find it helpful.

#2 RickR OFFLINE  

RickR

Stargunner

• 1,291 posts

Posted Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:56 PM

Helpful?  YES!  And brilliant.  Thank you.

#3 wolfy62 OFFLINE  

wolfy62

River Patroller

• 3,391 posts

Posted Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:25 PM

I thought it might be convent to have all of the game manuals for titles that are on the Flashback in a single document, so I made one. For "unreleased" games (Brickout, Blow Out, etc.) I created some simple manuals from the information that's available. A table of contents lists all 60 games, with the names hyperlinked so you can just click on a game and go straight to its manual without having to hunt for it.

attachicon.gifIntv-Flashback-TOC.jpg

If Intellivisiongames.com sticks with text-only game instructions, at least this manual will give people an easy way to access the full illustrated manuals and get the most out of the games and their shiny new console.

At 744 pages and almost 90 MB, the file is big, so I've uploaded it elsewhere. Here's a link to the file: http://tinyurl.com/qhqd7r6

Hopefully some people find it helpful.

Thank you for doing this and caring enough to do it!

#4 dinosaurjr10 OFFLINE  

dinosaurjr10

Combat Commando

• 1 posts

Posted Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:09 PM

Thanks, esp. for the linked table of contents!

#5 jointfilms.com OFFLINE  

jointfilms.com

Star Raider

• 72 posts

Posted Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:38 AM

dude this is awesome. this is exactly what i thought they needed on the intellivision site. maximum respect for taking the time to do this and make it available to us all......

#6 Rick Reynolds OFFLINE  

Rick Reynolds

Dragonstomper

• 734 posts

Posted Wed Oct 1, 2014 5:15 AM

Now someone needs to create a set of "orphaned overlays 2" for the flashback - fill in the overlays that weren't recreated.

#7 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

You can't handle the truth. No truth-handler, you.

• 16,454 posts
  • I deride your truth-handling abilities.

Posted Wed Oct 1, 2014 8:16 AM

This is really nice. The original manual format is much more readable than the text versions I've seen. I tried to compress it so I could email it to my Kindle, but no go ... I'll find another way, though!

#8 mthompson ONLINE  

mthompson

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 893 posts

Posted Wed Oct 1, 2014 8:37 AM

Now someone needs to create a set of "orphaned overlays 2" for the flashback - fill in the overlays that weren't recreated.

It's interesting that, as a substitute for instructions, they went to the trouble of creating new overlay designs just for the Flashback manual. Did anyone else notice the Brickout overlay? Reminds me of an overlay I made for Joe Z's Pong game just for kicks  :-D

Pong.png

But that's OK with me. I'm a firm believer that Intellivision games aren't complete without overlays  :)

#9 Bill Loguidice OFFLINE  

Bill Loguidice

Quadrunner

• 7,279 posts
  • Armchair Arcade Managing Director

Posted Wed Oct 1, 2014 8:52 AM

This is really nice. The original manual format is much more readable than the text versions I've seen. I tried to compress it so I could email it to my Kindle, but no go ... I'll find another way, though!

Using Acrobat Pro and "Optimized PDF," which results in minimal quality loss, I have it at 46.6 MB. That's good enough to fit into Evernote, but probably not for an eInk device. I wasn't able to compress it with NxPowerLite.

#10 Rick Reynolds OFFLINE  

Rick Reynolds

Dragonstomper

• 734 posts

Posted Wed Oct 1, 2014 9:14 AM

I was a little surprised at the choices for which overlays were made.  For instance, some games that really benefit from overlays (e.g. Sea Battle) didn't get them, while at least one game with no overlay got a remade one (Buzz Bombers).  

#11 SoulBlazer OFFLINE  

SoulBlazer

Quadrunner

• 5,235 posts

Posted Wed Oct 1, 2014 5:54 PM

I was a little surprised at the choices for which overlays were made.  For instance, some games that really benefit from overlays (e.g. Sea Battle) didn't get them, while at least one game with no overlay got a remade one (Buzz Bombers).  

This is why I've been holding out for the Sam's Club version and their extra overlays.  I'm hoping they will have a good amount.  I'll check my local store tomorrow to see if I can find one, and if I do I'll post what overlays came with it.

#12 Rick Reynolds OFFLINE  

Rick Reynolds

Dragonstomper

• 734 posts

Posted Wed Oct 1, 2014 6:11 PM

This is why I've been holding out for the Sam's Club version and their extra overlays.  I'm hoping they will have a good amount.  I'll check my local store tomorrow to see if I can find one, and if I do I'll post what overlays came with it.

I'm interested to see what that one has.  I scouted out the local Dollar General here in Bethel Park tonight and they didn't have any of the flashback units yet.

#13 intvsteve OFFLINE  

intvsteve

River Patroller

• 3,394 posts

Posted Wed Oct 1, 2014 8:07 PM

Yeah, the Buzz Bombers threw me for a loop, too.

#14 wolfy62 OFFLINE  

wolfy62

River Patroller

• 3,391 posts

Posted Thu Oct 2, 2014 6:15 AM

It's interesting that, as a substitute for instructions, they went to the trouble of creating new overlay designs just for the Flashback manual. Did anyone else notice the Brickout overlay? Reminds me of an overlay I made for Joe Z's Pong game just for kicks  :-D

attachicon.gifPong.png

But that's OK with me. I'm a firm believer that Intellivision games aren't complete without overlays  :)

Go to the Intellivision  lives website and it has a coming soon post about complete set of overlays and printable instructions.

And thank you for the link to great intellivision shirts!

#15 mthompson ONLINE  

mthompson

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 893 posts

Posted Sat Oct 4, 2014 5:50 PM

Looks like I forgot about Deep Pockets when I was creating manuals for the "unreleased" games that are on the Flashback. Sorry about that. I've gone ahead and created a nice PDF manual for the game and am posting it here in case anyone needs or wants it. My instructions differ from those online, which assume you're using a keyboard and numeric keypad, and instead correctly reference the controller.

Attached File  Deep Pockets Pool.pdf   135.83KB   233 downloads

Also, I'm pleased as punch to say that I offered my PDFs for the six unreleased games to Keith, and he posted them today at intellivisiongames.com along with individual PDFs of the Mattel manuals. Woo hoo!

#16 JasonlikesINTV OFFLINE  

JasonlikesINTV

Quadrunner

• 9,795 posts

Posted Sat Oct 4, 2014 6:55 PM

Yeah, I really hope Intellivision Productions goes through with making the supplemental overlays to complete the 60/61. A full set makes for a better overall Flashback experience :)

#17 pimpmaul69 OFFLINE  

pimpmaul69

River Patroller

• 4,870 posts
  • INTV Brotherhood Technician

Posted Sat Oct 4, 2014 7:37 PM

Yeah, I really hope Intellivision Productions goes through with making the supplemental overlays to complete the 60/61. A full set makes for a better overall Flashback experience :)

At least they already made the baseball overlays... :ponder: Now if they make the right ones...

#18 DaveLzi7 OFFLINE  

DaveLzi7

Combat Commando

• 1 posts

Posted Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:06 PM

Just picked up the Intellivision Flashback yesterday. This post is outstanding, thanks much !

#19 TrekMD OFFLINE  

TrekMD

River Patroller

• 4,031 posts

Posted Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:08 PM

Fantastic!  Thank you for doing this!

#20 BydoEmpire OFFLINE  

BydoEmpire

River Patroller

• 2,869 posts

Posted Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:56 PM

That's awesome, thanks!

#21 mthompson ONLINE  

mthompson

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 893 posts

Posted Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:14 PM

Glad you like it  :twisted:

I hope the overlay set is available soon (and at a reasonable price).

#22 JDog514 OFFLINE  

JDog514

Moonsweeper

• 284 posts

Posted Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:09 AM

I hope the overlays are available soon as well.

#23 gctdesigner OFFLINE  

gctdesigner

Combat Commando

• 8 posts

Posted Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:46 PM

Thanks for the link for the manuals! Much appreciated.

#24 Robert Sublett OFFLINE  

Robert Sublett

Star Raider

• 64 posts

Posted Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:57 PM

Thanks for the hard work.  I hate to ask but if its not too much trouble could you add mlb baseball for the 61 game version?

#25 mthompson ONLINE  

mthompson

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 893 posts

Posted Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:21 AM

Thanks for the hard work.  I hate to ask but if its not too much trouble could you add mlb baseball for the 61 game version?

It was a bit of work, but... Done! It also has a new hyperlinked table of contents page. Same link for the file as before: http://tinyurl.com/qhqd7r6. Hope it's what you'd hoped for.

Edited by mthompson, Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:21 AM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users