IGNORED

Leaving the community (lurk mode)....

acadiel

I will be deregistering or figuring out how to deactivate my accounts from AA and the other TI forums shortly, going into lurk mode. It's been a great past decade helping and contributing to all sorts of stuff, including the 16K/32K/64K/512K cartridge boards, Solid State SCSI drives, getting the HxC working with the developer, offering presentations at TI Faires, etc.

Unfortunately, due to one person's conduct, I no longer desire to contribute. It's the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. What started out as me wanting to help a fellow TI-er (simply supporting them by contributing $40, just because I wanted to be a nice guy) ended up with a long winded hybrid private/public conversation with someone who has extinguished the last bit of fire I had for this community.

And, it's not about this person's ability to provide the product; it's the way he unprofessionally handled the entire situation, adding in implied rules and regulations to his "process", not taking a word of a long established community member for face value, etc. It was the way the person handled the entire situation. No "I'm sorry, I made a mistake", "I'm sorry there was a misunderstanding; I need to be clearer next time", or "I'm sorry, but I expected you to read between the lines and understand XYZ." Those things actually upset me the most; even more than not actually getting the $40 product does. Did they apologize? Nope, just tried to justify their behavior and explain themselves away. And kept doing it, reply after reply.

Note that I'm not being demeaning of this person; I am only stating the facts that can be checked by looking at the relevant thread.

I just really don't have the time to deal with any added stress at this point in my life. Nor games that people want to play. I'd rather just remove the influence from my life than have to deal with it.

I appreciate everyone else's time, patience, help, contributions, and interactions though the years.

If someone wants to mirror the TI book archive, please let me know in the next two weeks.

- hexbus/acadiel/Jon

Oh god... Jon i am sad to read about your decision and i hope you will clarify and solve this situation.

For all i could do... my website can mirror everything you want if it needed...

But please... Think about all 99ers that love you be here and in contact with you.

Just like me for example.

Edited by ti99userclub
  • Like 1

Well you need to do whatever is best for yourself but it is really sad this decision is based on the behavior of one person, in any social environment you are going to meet people that just rub you the wrong way guaranteed, the trick is though is to not let them win and that is exactly what you do when you let them drive you away from something you love or enjoy. Block that person , punish them, don't punish yourself or the rest of the community, think about the positive and supportive ones and put the troublemakers out of your mind, they do not deserve to have this kind of power over you. Perhaps just take a break, play some games whatever but never, ever let them succeed in ruining your hobby.

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 1

I truly hope you will reconsider at some point in the future Jon. I will miss my conversations with you every year at the Faire.

I am happy to host the book archive on theTI Gameshelf site. Actually I will also consider creating a separate domain name for it called TI Bookshelf as a permanent repository. Please PM me if interested.

I saw the argument earlier, and I remember thinking no matter what happens the two things I did not want to see was:

1) somebody leaving the forums

2) somebody not making carts anymore

Neither outcome is good for the forums, the hobby, or the individual. Please reconsider. I am just now getting back into the hobby. I don't know either of you very well, but I would miss the contributions of either one of you a lot.

Darryl

In a community there are always going to be varying degrees of haughtiness and humility, helpfulness and antagonism, and many many disagreements and fights. Just like any family. If anyone allows an incident or even several to steal away the joy of something beloved then that person loses something of themselves, and as a reverse corollary of the invisible hand, so does the community suffer. That is not to say one should exercise blind loyalty in the support of others, but only that a line of adversity should not be allowed to overcome the effort and train of support provided by others who are appreciative.

I am only privy to one instance to which you allude, and in this context the other instances are irrelevant -- I would be happy to listen over a beer or two when we meet again -- but to pound this nail flush, it is fully apparent to me that the work you do and the contributions you make are labors of love, something to which all of us can relate. Keep your love and your passion, please. I find the prospect of a break inoffensive, though I believe that allowing your passion to be permanently quelled can only be deleterious. "Don't let the bastards grind you down."

Edited by OLD CS1
  • Like 3

I'm truly sorry to see you leave the community, acadiel.

I'm also very sorry to hear about the passing of your mother. That's a hard thing to go through. I only just read the threads so I don't feel I have sufficient information to take sides, and I lurk too much around here to really get involved.

Right now, I have a hard enough time staying focused to get the software projects for the TI done I already have. And I know I've already garnered scorn and contempt from some of the regulars here for my lack of delivery. Whatever. I got a new full time job to worry about, and I program the TI for fun. And when it stops being fun, I don't do it anymore. So I absolutely understand the need to just step back and lurk awhile.

Don't let the actions of one individual ruin the fun and joy you have in the hobbies you love!

Adam

• Like 1

Jon, you're a highly respected, well regarded, indeed loved member of the TI community. I hope you will take some time to reconsider. Maybe just duck out for a while, but don't effectively punish yourself. I know you've been into the TI since you were a child, it's part of who you are and has no doubt shaped the adult into which you have grown. It would be a shame to turn your back on something you love so much. And I do believe you love it.

It was a pleasure to meet you and your daughters and the Chicago Faire in 2010 (or was it 2011?!) - I'd like to think I would get another opportunity some day.

Mark

• Like 1

It was a pleasure to meet you and your daughters and the Chicago Faire in 2010 (or was it 2011?!) - I'd like to think I would get another opportunity some day.

This, and getting schooled by your eldest. "Brain math" has become a permanent part of my personal vernacular!

Note that I'm not being demeaning of this person; I am only stating the facts that can be checked by looking at the relevant thread.

I just really don't have the time to deal with any added stress at this point in my life. Nor games that people want to play. I'd rather just remove the influence from my life than have to deal with it.

I appreciate everyone else's time, patience, help, contributions, and interactions though the years.

If someone wants to mirror the TI book archive, please let me know in the next two weeks.

- hexbus/acadiel/Jon

Sorry it has come to this, it is always sad to see someone leave, and you were one of top good people here, and always super helpful to everyone.

Maybe after break, you will return, in the meantime please 'lurk' around.

I know the feeling I done the same at points also, at sometimes the drama can be horrible, and no logic or reason behind it either. -- All tho I must say it has gotten 10 times better over the last decade, back 15 years ago it was super-bad, everyone was doing drama, and noone was being creative or helpful anymore, it really killed alot of the community.

Anyhow, I sent you PM, I can help host, mirror files, anything, got a ton of space of my server, with complete virtual hosting services.

And the same offer applies to anyone here, if you need file space, got a domain need it hosted, or need emails, or other web services, please contact me.

I'm sorry for your loss (I went through the same thing last year--it's not pleasant), but I can't see this as anything but an extraordinary overreaction to a mostly non-event. You were literally unintentionally passed over for a second run of a cartridge (which will almost certainly see additional runs) and you then called the individual responsible something unsavory (and that didn't even make sense) for the supposed infraction, like it was a personal attack on you, despite almost certainly being a simple case of somewhat haphazard organization. It's like you're looking for any excuse to leave.

• Like 3

Jon, I really hope you reconsider this. No need to deactivate your AA account. Just leave it for a while and let things pass.

Would really be a shame if you'd leave this community.

Without your cartridge board there would haven't been any Pitfall cartridges.

I have to admit that I've become pretty much a lurker myself.

Due to several reasons, some personal, others related to work.

Still I come back every day to read the messages here, it's kinda like family.

I also have around fifty 64k boards (and shells) I bought from you a few years ago.

So someday I'm gonna do that next arcade game. Would be great if you'd still be around here when that day comes :)

retro.