IGNORED

Tetris Movie In the Works

A film adaptation of the classic ‘80s video game “Tetris” will be falling into theaters sometime in the near future.

Threshold Entertainment has teamed up with the Tetris Company to develop a live-action film based on the game. While no directors or cast are attached to the film yet, there is a story in place.

“It’s a very big, epic sci-fi movie,” Threshold’s CEO Larry Kasanoff tells Speakeasy exclusively. “This isn’t a movie with a bunch of lines running around the page. We’re not giving feet to the geometric shapes.”

Kasanoff’s best known for adapting the “Mortal Kombat” games to the big screen – 1995’s “Mortal Kombat” grossed $70 million according to Boxoffice Mojo, with the 1997 sequel, “Mortal Kombat: Annihilation,” grossing $35 million. For Threshold, they’re hoping to build off the brand’s notoriety and legacy.

More: http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/09/30/tetris-movie/

I guess I'm not the visionary I once thought I was - how the heck do you make a movie based on a game of interlocking shapes?

• Like 1

IF this is true it makes me think two things.

Taking an existing video game/premise/idea and casting actors to act it out on screen.

Shows NO creative effort.

Taking TETRIS and somehow giving it a story?

You've GOT to be creative.

Unfortunately if this come to fruition I fear it will be too much like that mock trailer, only they won't be having a laugh at themselves, they'll truley think there making the next "cutting edge/dark and gritty/I look like I'm making a statement about society but really I'm just throwing every cliche I can at you" type movie.

I guess I'm not the visionary I once thought I was - how the heck do you make a movie based on a game of interlocking shapes?

That's easy. Make a film that is similar to the Cube movies:

youtube.com/watch?v=R4N86WL4TvM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4N86WL4TvM

Or a group of people might be trapped in a huge room with giant Tetris pieces falling into place and they have to avoid being crushed while trying not to fall to their deaths when a row is cleared.

• Like 1

You could make a good movie about the real life story of "Tetris" and all the complexities that were involved in trying to get it licensed, etc. But I'm not sure that such a movie has much mainstream potential. So they'll probably go with cute anthropomorphic "Tetris" blocks having an adventure.

• Like 2

Well, if this doesn't turn out to be a hoax in the end, I just hope it won't be a clone of Cloak & Dagger, which was a good 80's movie, but one movie of that type is enough.

On the other hand, if it turns out to be some kind of clone of Tron, I would likely go see it. :)

Been trying to think of what a plot line could possibly be. This is all I can come up with.... Aliens send remote controlled block shaped space ships to terraform earth. We have to hack the controls and stack the blocks in a solid formation so we can start an explosion that will cause a chain reaction blowing up all the blocks. Not a good plot but I can't figure out what the hell else they would do.

• Like 2

I agree with Random Terrain: a story in roughly the same vein as the "Cube" movies, maybe with some elements of "Escape Plan", is the approach that probably has the most potential. They just need to be sure to integrate elements of the Tetris gameplay, or else it would be a stretch to call it a "Tetris movie".

It would certainly be better than going the typical Disney/Pixar route and anthropomorphizing the Tetris pieces, giving them cutesy names and happy songs, which would be the stupidest and laziest approach.

I agree with Random Terrain: a story in roughly the same vein as the "Cube" movies, maybe with some elements of "Escape Plan", is the approach that probably has the most potential. They just need to be sure to integrate elements of the Tetris gameplay, or else it would be a stretch to call it a "Tetris movie".

It would certainly be better than going the typical Disney/Pixar route and anthropomorphizing the Tetris pieces, giving them cutesy names and happy songs, which would be the stupidest and laziest approach.

Honestly, making a movie about Tetris is already the stupid and lazy approach.

That said, this is all I can think of when I think of Tetris movie, and it's pretty solid, if way too far over the top:

• Like 1