IGNORED

Best 2600 arcade translation?

Army Of 2600

I think the point is we can assume that the majority of homebrew arcade translations today, with fan and other developer input, long dev cycles, more modern knowledge of how "classics" should and could be translated to old 2600 hardware (vs. at the time wondering how to fit a contemporary modern game into an available home console), compiled knowledge, etc. etc....... are nearly all going to be pretty much bad ass by default anyway :lol:

Good point but some homebrews use simple editor/assembler setups like bitd and intentionally don't take advantage of any modern tech.

There are only a few homebrews that take advantage of "modern tech", by which I refer to the Melody board. They are:

- Chetiry

- Space Rocks

- Epic Adventure

That's it, as far as games that have currently been released. There are other games in the pipeline that will use the Melody (such as Stay Frosty 2). And several released homebrews use SARA RAM, but since that was available "back in the day", I don't consider that "modern tech".

What makes a big difference is the open collaboration of information, fantastic emulators, flash-based carts for faster testing on real hardware, the Stella debugger, and so forth.

..Al

Berzerk and Phoenix are the top direct translations for me , Frogger,Space Invaders and Galaxians next. Warlords on the Atari 2600 actually seems better than the arcade although I have only played the arcade version through emulation of course.

Edited by R.O.T.S

For original releases my vote goes to Lock 'n' Chase. I find the aesthetic and sounds of the arcade and other versions very unappealing, but the 2600 version is simply perfect. In fact it's still my favorite maze game for the system.

For homebrews I absolutely say Juno First. That's in my top two for the system of all time!

Warlords is not a port, the arcade game came later

Also, no love for Vanguard?

Berzerk and Phoenix are the top direct translations for me , Frogger,Space Invaders and Galaxians next. Warlords on the Atari 2600 actually seems better than the arcade although I have only played the arcade version through emulation of course.

Warlords is not a port, the arcade game came later

Also, no love for Vanguard?

I had no idea the arcade Warlords came after the vcs , that means the arcade version has even less excuse. You know I had forgotten about Vanguard which is sort of embarrassing as I own an arcade cabaret of it :grin: , yeah I recall it being a pretty good port especially with the music although I have not played the Atari version for a few years.

The one title that really stands out, thinking back about the time Ms Pac-Man.

Seems like prior to that, you just expected the Atari 2600 of any game to suck ass on the 2600.

Arcade games like Pac-Man, Popeye, or Donkey Kong weren't necessarily terrible, but at the same time disappointed when "Game Reset" was pushed.

Ms Pac-Man was one of the first games I remember thinking was pretty close to the arcade (compared to other games anyways)

I had no idea the arcade Warlords came after the vcs , that means the arcade version has even less excuse.

A conversation with Carla Meninsky

After Dodge ’Em, I went straight to Warlords which was on the list as Kings in the Corner break-out game. I would like to set the record straight here—I did the 2600 game before the coin-op game even existed!

Double Dragon, Rampage, Kung Fu... KIDDING, KIDDING.

Seriously, though...

Ms. Pac-Man

Jr. Pac-Man

Space Invaders

Popeye

Q*Bert

Frogger

If homebrews are allowed, Lady Bug, Space Rocks, and Juno First are easily the most impressive ports I've ever played on the 2600, by a hefty margin.

Doesn't 2600 Q*bert only have one enemy on the screen at a time? I honestly don't recall as I don't play it that much.

If you set the difficulty to "A" then you get the snake and the red balls.

what is the trick?

If you time it right, when Coily is about to jump on you, you can jump towards him and you'll pass through each other.

Seen here

• 2 weeks later...

Starpath Frogger

Jr. Pac-Man

Crystal Castles

Millipede

Ms. Pac-Man

Gravitar

Spy Hunter

Tapper

Omega Race

Moon Patrol

Dig Dug

Galaxian

Space Invaders

Berzerk

Hacks:

Wizard of Wor

Hack 'em

Ms Hack

Omega Race button/joystick hacks

Berzerk VE

Homebrew:

Star Fire

Pac-Man 2600

Pac-Man 4k

Ladybug

Star Castle Arcade

Colony 7

Juno First

Gunfight

Space Rocks

Medieval Mayhem

Seawolf

• Like 1

Video Olympics, of course. Arcade-accurate Pong and a ton of variations, all in color! :D

I've always said the silver-label era was really the sweet spot for arcade adaptations. Just about every one of those is "decent" or better. Centipede, Ms. Pac-Man, Dig-Dug and Moon Patrol are the best among the earlier titles, while Millipede, Stargate and Crystal Castles are the best among the later titles, and arguably the best arcade adaptations the system saw, period, at least until homebrews came along. Jr. Pac-Man from the red-label era is of course one of the highlights from that era. As for the earlier black-label games, I'll add my votes to Missile Command, Space Invaders and Berzerk being the best. Of course there are actually a lot of adaptations from that era, most of which did a pretty good job recreating the arcade game, from Canyon Bomber and Circus Atari to Night Driver and Dodge 'Em. It's just nobody remembers the originals, and Atari didn't always give proper credit to the original publishers. Even the first boxes of 2600 Space Invaders didn't mention Taito.

As part of my web project, I've recently been playing through Activision's later arcade adaptations, that is, Commando, Rampage, Kung Fu Master and Double Dragon. Of course there are the obvious gripes, from the stupidly-hard difficulty of Double Dragon to the very abstract buildings of Rampage, but what disappoints me the most about those variations is how needlessly restricted they are. Every one of those games is darned impressive for what they pulled off, and yet darned frustrating for what more they could have been had the programmers not been hamstrung by Activision's "no flicker" policy. Because of that, enemies in Kung Fu Master attack from only one side at a time, helicopters never swoop down in Rampage, neither players nor enemies can gang up on the other in Double Dragon, and so forth.

Among other third-party publishers, I think the best are Frogger and Q*Bert by Parker Bros., Wizard of Wor by CBS, and Tapper and maybe Spy Hunter by Sega.

Among hacks, I think the best are PacManPlus's Defender, hacked from Stargate; Nukey Shay's Hack 'Em, a bundle of Pac-Man, Pac-Man Plus and Hangly-Man derived from Pesco; and Thomas Jentzsch's Missile Command TB and Asteroids DC+.

Among new homebrews, Lady Bug, Space Rocks and DINTAR816's Pac-Man stand out.

• Like 2