Photo

486 vs pentium dos computer

76 replies to this topic

#76 Asaki OFFLINE  

Asaki

River Patroller

• 2,369 posts

Posted Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:09 AM

Both programs worked great on the 486 (haven't tested on the P120 yet).

I tried AT-Slow on the Pentium yesterday. After disabling the cache, it didn't require much to slow it down, so I might try fine tuning the settings...but even slowing it down a tiny amount made it emit a high-pitched whine.

I think I'll just stick with the P120 for 386 era stuff, and use the 486 for anything older than that, since most of those games don't support sound cards anyway.

#77 bobotech OFFLINE  

bobotech

Moonsweeper

• 289 posts

Posted Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:03 PM

Thanks for the memory.  Until you said this, I forgot how much fun I had with a 486 DX2/66.  I've since forgotten how to edit AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files.  Refresher course, anyone?  :)

Edit: Remember the rare 486 DX-50?  (NOT the DX2/50)  This was one of the last processors where "bus speed" and "processor speed" were the same thing.  Unless I'm mistaken.

I had one of those.  I paid like 450 dollars for I think 1 meg of ram (4 256k simms/ sipps?) and a motherboard with a Cyrix 486 DX-50 running at the full 50mhz for both bus and processor.  Most unreliable piece of crap computer I ever owned but when it ran, it ran decently compared to my buddy's DX2-66.    I still have the chip I believe. 

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users