IGNORED

Alien: Isolation (All Platforms)

xenomorpher

Has anyone else pre-ordered it or plan on buying it? To a great and pleasant surprise, it has been released a day early for PC users from what I've been seeing. I pre-ordered it through Gamestop for PC so I can get the two bonus missions. I spent the last couple days pre-loading it on Steam and finally received the codes for the bonus missions, which are downloading right now. After they're done I'm going to dive into the game. So far it's gained positive reviews from most places. IGN gave it a low score, he complained it was too hard while playing on hard mode, go figure. :roll: Anyway, I'm sure I'm going to love it and think it will rinse the bad taste out of my mouth left by Colonial Marines.

Please post thoughts but be honest. ;)

Some reviews go apeshit over the game (mostly fans of the series) and others are more down to earth and point out some glaring problems so let us know.

Been waiting years decades for a top rate Aliens game, never really played one that I can truly say was great other than the 1986 microcomputer based game.

I never pre-order anything.

Having said that, I'm actually thinking of pre-ordering it for the bonus Nostromo mission.

Does anyone know if the "Crew Expendable" bonus content for the XBOX 360 is on the disc, or is it a DLC like the "Last Survivor" content?

I'm hoping it's on disc, since I'm not a big fan of downloadable content.

Edited by Nebulon

I'm only about an hour and forty-six minutes in. These aren't my absolute final opinions or a review by any means, but I figured I'd post my early impressions so far. I was able to run the game at ultra settings without any problems and I thought the character models looked great. You can see the sweat glisten on their skin. Down the road when I'm braver I might try playing it with stereoscopic 3D if it gets supported. One little issue I ran into is that it didn't seem like the anti-aliasing was working correctly. I don't know if it has to do with my Nvidia control panel, but I'm fiddling with the settings now. Another thing was during the beginning of the campaign the voice sync felt off, but there's supposed to be a day one patch tomorrow I think that fixes that. The voice acting from the original cast was alright. They were pretty calm in Crew Expendable, maybe in shock, but in the Last Survivor you hear Parker and Lambert die and they did that pretty well and sounded gruesome.

Anyways, I decided to play the Crew Expendable first because I wanted to be thrown right into the action to see how well the models and gameplay were. Before you're thrown into any danger, you can explore parts of the Nostromo while gathering your equipment like the flamethrower, tracking unit like in the movie, and flares. A lot of time and effort in creating such a high level of detail and I had a blast finally being able to explore what I could, but couldn't find a flashlight. I decided to begin by climbing down the ladder while Ash seals the hatch behind you. I entered a room and almost immediately the tracker beeped and equipped it so I can see where the alien was. There were no lockers to hide in the room, so I crouched behind a crate while the Alien entered the room from a ceiling vent. That cued the soundtrack to change to a more unnerving track. I could hear its feet thumping on the grates while hissing as it hunted for me. I eventually went into the ducts, like the movie where Dallas died, and it was patrolling the exit. I couldn't sneak behind it because I read if it hears a door or hatch open, it investigates it. I already had my flamethrower out, the flame at the end was lighting the way for me, and decided to use it against it. It acted like it was going to run off, but went in the vent right toward me. I kept using the flamethrower on it, but it wouldn't turn around. It eventually tackled me to run behind me and just killed me. I tell you it's one thing to watch the movie Alien, but I felt like I was in it and I was scared to death.

After that I started the campaign and so far it's a slow burn, which I prefer, and the environment of the space station is great and fits right in the Alien universe. There are terminals with a retro style display in the game that you can read up on some back story or find out codes to unlock doors. I haven't ran into the Alien yet in the campaign because it's supposed to show up an hour or so in. I feel a little more at ease exploring the environment in the campaign than in the bonus content, but the threat I feel is always looming over my head. I'm enjoying the game so far. This might be the Alien game I've always wanted, so far it really feels that way, but I can't really say for sure until I beat the 20+ hour campaign. Because it's so unnerving and stressful, at least when it comes to the bonus content, I have to take a lot of breaks. I'm playing with Dolby 7.1 headphones and I honestly haven't been this scared since I first played Silent Hill when I was 12.

• Like 5

Has anyone else pre-ordered it or plan on buying it?

After Colonial Marines no way! Although I have most Alien sames (including the collectors edition of Colonial Marines) so I will probably get it eventually.

Sounds promising at least. It's funny you mention being freaked out while playing. That's exactly how I felt playing Alien Trilogy way back on the PS1. Been waiting a long time for another Alien's game like that!!

• Like 1

After Colonial Marines no way! Although I have most Alien sames (including the collectors edition of Colonial Marines) so I will probably get it eventually.

Sounds promising at least. It's funny you mention being freaked out while playing. That's exactly how I felt playing Alien Trilogy way back on the PS1. Been waiting a long time for another Alien's game like that!!

It's real funny you mention this because that reminded me when I first got Alien Trilogy. It was the game that made me buy a PS1 and actually the second game I got when I was 11. Before I was able to play it, I spent the car ride home reading the manual front to back, boy those were the days. When I finally played it I remember being in the elevator for the first level and moving around in it to get the hang of the controls since it was the first FPS game I ever played. Then the motion tracker went off and I was too afraid to open the elevator door and I shut off the Playstation. :lol: I had no idea what was behind it, but I could hear it. I was totally unprepared and that was enough to freak me out. I eventually started playing the game and found out that the first enemy was a facehugger, which is pretty easy to kill, and started to really enjoy the game's great atmosphere and music. I've put hundreds of hours into Alien Trilogy over the years and I still pop it in from time to time and always have a blast.

Edited by xenomorpher
  • Like 3

I was one of those who was BADLY burned on the pre-order of A:CM and vowed never to do it again. Until they announced "Crew Expendable." I. Could. Not. Pass. That. Up. Looking forward to it on PS3 tomorrow. Looks like the PS3 & 360 versions were the original development platform and are not too far off the curve for graphics. Based on what I'm seeing online, I'm a little worried that at a 20ish hour campaign with this title might be too much. But yes, this looks like the Alien game I have also been waiting for.

I'm going to pass for now and pick it up later when its cheap. Not because its a bad game but because I just found out about the save system. Its old school with random save points, in other words you die and its do it all over again (repeat many times). In this game you can instantly be killed without warning and I don't think I can tolerate that at my age anymore. LOL. It's a 15-20 hour game and I think it would be frustrating.

I love horror games and the Alien series in particular so I WILL buy this game at a later date because other than the save system I think I would love this.

I've been watching some playthrough footage and I'm impressed so far. The visuals are absolutely stunning, and the whole setting really is straight out of "Alien," down to the smallest details. The Synthetics are delightfully creepy, like more sinister versions of the robot cops from THX-1138. And I really like that the soundtrack contains cues not only straight from the "Alien" score, but also very subtle nods to "Aliens" (like the shrill, smearing glissando strings from the "They're coming out of the walls!" part) and "Alien 3" (like that low industrial electronic bass tone used during the opening credits and the later arrival of Bishop II and the commandos). And I really, REALLY like that you never really feel safe, even when you're pretty sure you're in the clear.

Speaking of Alien Trilogy and Alien 3, I remember playing the Fiorina 161 levels in Trilogy years ago (btw, did the Lead Mould level freak anybody else out? That level was intense!) and thinking how cool it would be if there were a game based on Alien 3 that was more like the movie - no guns, avoid the alien and set traps, etc. - and then thinking there's no way that could work as a video game. :P

• Like 3

Speaking of Alien Trilogy and Alien 3, I remember playing the Fiorina 161 levels in Trilogy years ago (btw, did the Lead Mould level freak anybody else out? That level was intense!) and thinking how cool it would be if there were a game based on Alien 3 that was more like the movie - no guns, avoid the alien and set traps, etc. - and then thinking there's no way that could work as a video game. :P

I always thought Alien 3 would be cool as a point and click game, but I'd really love an Alien 3 expansion for Alien: Isolation. If they tweaked the sprinting so it's a bit faster, I think it would be a rush running down those corridors as a inmate, or Ripley, trying to lure the alien to the lead mold. The prison levels in Alien Trilogy were some of my favorite levels. The last section of the game, where it takes place on the derelict spaceship, is probably my all time favorite. The environments were so unique and great even though they weren't 100% faithful to the movie. With all this talk about Alien Trilogy, I'm getting the urge to play it some more while I recuperate from playing of Alien: Isolation. I've been playing it in bursts and whenever I get a save point and save, which aren't too far apart so far, I feel so satisfied like I survived.

Edited by xenomorpher
  • Like 2

Alien 3 retold as an A:I expansion/sequel could actually be like a better version of the movie. The biggest problem with the movie is that it tells you everything before it happens. Imagine just waking up in this dingy prison hospital, not knowing how you got there or where your friends are. You are informed of what happened, thus beginning a search for clues...the more distance kept from the locals, the better. Meanwhile, stories of strange incidents and mysterious, violent accidents start spreading among the prisoners, and all you know is what you're told by dangerous convicts who may or may not be insane, and whose information may or may not be reliable. For all you know it's just rumors and gossip. Locating and re-activating Bishop fills in the story of how you got here and also confirms (rather anticlimactically) our suspicion that an alien caused the crash and is now wreaking havoc on Fury 161. Soon you have to enlist the help of the prisoners to set traps to try to contain the alien long enough for the rescue team (that was sent for you) to kill it...except a contingent of them blame you for the alien (or worship it), and therefore are trying to kill you. Etc etc etc...

Edited by BassGuitari
  • Like 2

There actually IS a better version of Alien3. On the Blu-ray set, there is a "work print" of the film. Not a directors cut, because Fincher won't retouch it. The Work Print of Alien 3 is VASTLY superior than the release. Editing and pacing in the 2nd half is very different, and some completely different content. When I was re-watching them, I went with work print over release and was really amazed at what a better picture it is. Saying that, it still has the problematic plot issues with the crew of the Sulaco, etc.

• Like 1

Thanks for the great early review, Xenomorpher. I'm very curious about the game but I don't know that I'd have the patience for all the sneaking around. I would probably die every few minutes.

I never pre-order anything.

I learned my lesson with Destiny, the Emperor's New Clothes of video games.

There actually IS a better version of Alien3. On the Blu-ray set, there is a "work print" of the film. Not a directors cut, because Fincher won't retouch it. The Work Print of Alien 3 is VASTLY superior than the release. Editing and pacing in the 2nd half is very different, and some completely different content. When I was re-watching them, I went with work print over release and was really amazed at what a better picture it is. Saying that, it still has the problematic plot issues with the crew of the Sulaco, etc.

I've seen it about 15 times. :-D

I was very seriously considering buying this game at launch. But after reading several early reviews, I thought I might wait a bit longer as a few facets of the game (such as the SAVE system) I'm not sure I'll like.

One of the nice features of the XB1 and PS4 is that Twitch is available on both and a lot of people are broadcasting their games live. I plan on using it to watch people playing Isolation live to get more of a feel for the game.

Playing it tonight on PS3. General graphic fidelity is pretty good. Occasion cultural will have low or no texture, but I've only stumbled on one or two. PS3 is working hard to keep up with this game and chugs occasionally. Surprisingly during cinematics too. I don't think I've ever played a game that has such a serious level of creepiness to it. Design team REALLY likes the original movie and it shows. Wow. Walking around on the Nostromo while playing "Crew Expendable" is fantastic HOWEVER Yaphet Kotto, Harry Dean Stanton and Tom Skerritt sound 30+years older and it works against that DLC a little. Just a little.

Play it in the dark. Play it loud, or with a headset on. Go to the bathroom first.

I have to say that my life is finally complete! I've waited 35 years for this game to come out after having seen the movie in theaters back in 79. I have always dreamed that a true Alien game would be released giving you the opportunity to walk in the shoes of Ripley, Dallas, Parker, Lambert or Ash... Or have to go through the ordeal of Ripley in the last moments of the film. This game delivers it all.

I just finish Crew Expendable and Last Survivor and it was worth every penny... If you are a true Alien freak like myself, you get so lost in the details of the Nostromo, from entering the computer room where Mother is located and reading the labels on the walls, to crawling around the basement levels and ventilation shafts wondering if the Alien is right around the next turn. Just being able to go on a tour of the three levels of the Nostromo is treat enough to buy the download content, you won't be disappointed.

I've started on the main game as well and I'm only a few levels into it, but so far so good. ZERO complaints. Great survival horror!!

• Like 4

I am really interested in reading peoples experiences here on AtariAge. I spent some time and watched 4 live games on Twitch yesterday, two playing on PS4 and two playing on XB1. The game really looked good (though Twitch video quality leaves something to be desired) and the people playing were really into it. The atmosphere of the game looked incredible.

But all of the players were also having trouble with dying on a regular basis. All were having to retry areas at various points in the game, multiple times, due to deaths. One guy was getting really PO'd when he died for the 4th time in the same area (the Alien was stalking around the area and there were people shooting at him also). He finally cleared it when the Alien went after those that were shooting at him and then left after the slaughter. The Alien hadn't done that previously, so it appears that the game might be very random in regards to the actions of the Alien.

Anyway, looking forward to more comments on the game.

Edited by Mendon

I am really interested in reading peoples experiences here on AtariAge. I spent some time and watched 4 live games on Twitch yesterday, two playing on PS4 and two playing on XB1. The game really looked good (though Twitch video quality leaves something to be desired) and the people playing were really into it. The atmosphere of the game looked incredible.

But all of the players were also having trouble with dying on a regular basis. All were having to retry areas at various points in the game, multiple times, due to deaths. One guy was getting really PO'd when he died for the 4th time in the same area (the Alien was stalking around the area and there were people shooting at him also). He finally cleared it when the Alien went after those that were shooting at him and then left after the slaughter. The Alien hadn't done that previously, so it appears that the game might be very random in regards to the actions of the Alien.

Anyway, looking forward to more comments on the game.

After reading this, it seems its over the top frustrating but it seems you can play it on easy and have a slightly easier time:

http://kotaku.com/tips-for-playing-alien-isolation-1643391269

The tips on that page can really help so I will be using it whenever I decide to get it. Still not sure about getting it now, it's definitely tempting as I know I'll like it even with the shitty save system....but there's Borderlands next week and I'm currently playing Metro Redux.

This is a nice problem to have I guess. :)

Edit: I will be hitting a Target later today for errands. Maybe I'll give in.

I'm seeing very mixed reviews. It seems like a good, well-designed game, but I'm not sure it's one I would enjoy. I'm a huge fan of Alien, but I'm also easily frustrated when it comes to games. I don't know that I'd have the patience for this one.

My curiosity and love for the franchise will get the best of me someday, but I think it will be when I see the game on sale or on the Pre-owned shelf.

Why are some reviewers complaining you cannot kill the Alien?.they have seen the film, right?

Parker: It's got a wonderful defense mechanism. You don't dare kill it.

And ditto for fact you'll die... a lot:

Ash:I can't lie to you about your chances, but you have my sympathies.

Anywho i really oughta try and finish Aliens:Infestation on DS before i try this.

1 question (ok, 2), what are the controls and Alien A.I like?

Reason i ask? Alien Trilogy was ruined for me by the Alien A.I, having the Aliens milling about like sheep did my head in, Aliens:Col.Marines was just as bad and lush as Momolith's AVP II on PC looked, having the Aliens running straight at you, reduced them to generic FPS fodder.Rebellion nailed the Alien behaviour A.I in AVP on PC, but screwed it right up years later with PC/PS3/360 AVP.

Controls? well Alien Res.on PS1 pushed the hardware, had fantastic atmosphere, but by god you needed a PS Mouse to play the bastard.I was gutted when planned DC version of Alien Res.was canned, DC seemed ideal platform for the game.