IGNORED

GC aftermarket Component cables?

No aftermarket cables at all. I got lucky a couple years ago, and got them in a GCN lot on ebay.

Some people have converted the Japanese D-Terminal cable to make an RGB SCART lead, although the d-term is more expensive than the components!

http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:nintendodigitalav

There was a guy who just recently put out a spec to make your own PCB board though. He nor anyone else are manufacturing these though. Not worth it to me, I'd rather pay $100 for the cables than building a bare board with a mess of cables.

Too bad that Nintendo didn't release a Game Boy Player adapter cable for the Wii (And with a channel app to eliminate the need for the boot disc). Then you could really leave the GCN behind completely.

On a CRT, S-Video is sufficient. Nintendo always had the best S-Video of any console maker.

On a CRT with component inputs, I notice clear improvement over S-Video. Not worth the cost of admission in this instance, though.

Edited by Atariboy

Too bad that Nintendo didn't release a Game Boy Player adapter cable for the Wii (And with a channel app to eliminate the need for the boot disc). Then you could really leave the GCN behind completely.

On a CRT with component inputs, I notice clear improvement over S-Video. Not worth the cost of admission in this instance, though.

Nintendo had moved onto the DS as the main portable by time the Wii came around. I still prefer to pull the cube out of its drawer and use it instead of the Wii. I find navigating with the Wii mote a nuisance! The main reason component looks so much better is that the system switches to 480p mode (higher res) when the cables are plugged in. I don't think there's any way to fool it though. If you're going to play the GCN a real lot, I would just drop the $ on the cables. It's worth it, moreso than dropping double that $ on say the Dreamcast broadband adapter.

I still prefer to pull the cube out of its drawer and use it instead of the Wii. I find navigating with the Wii mote a nuisance! The main reason component looks so much better is that the system switches to 480p mode (higher res) when the cables are plugged in.

You don't have to navigate a Wii with a wiimote. A hacked Wii can boot straight to the homebrew channel, which can be controlled with a wired pad. Or you can use a Classic Controller to operate the main Wii menu.

• Like 1

If you are patient, you can get the cable on ebay for about $125. If you are in any way a gamecube fan and see yourself playing it for the next few decades, it's worth the investment (imo.) The difference between composite and the pro-scan 480 you get out of the component cable is night and day. Worth it for cube lovers.

There were never 3rd party cables manufactured. Thats why you can get this cable for other systems of the era for like a dollar and not the GC.

You don't have to navigate a Wii with a wiimote. A hacked Wii can boot straight to the homebrew channel, which can be controlled with a wired pad. Or you can use a Classic Controller to operate the main Wii menu.

Wow, I didn't know! (for the Homebrew channel part)

Way more reason to use the Wii as a GameCube disc reader now :D (got a component cable for it) It sucks to put batteries in a 'mote just to click on one icon.

Edited by CatPix