IGNORED

Consoles you just can't get excited about

I guess I don't know what I was expecting honestly, I could be being very unfair here...the games (I only have 4 counting Mine Storm) seem very shallow to me--but I certainly should have known (by when it was made if nothing else) what to expect gameplay wise. I was (and still am) wowed by the design and the overall cool factor of it. It's one I show to my friends, even fellow videogamers, because it's so unique. Hell I still may build a custom arcade stand for mine, if I don't move it to get a Turbo Duo first.

But I never think to myself "man I can't wait to play some Vectrex tonight". And I think that about NES and TG16 and SNES and MAME and more.

Well to be fair, the field during the time of Vectrex was pretty much stuff like this. :lol:

post-31-0-00057300-1412876765_thumb.jpg

..Now don't get me wrong, I love all these games pictured (except for Adventurevision which I never had). :P

• Like 2

XEGS:I'd had and loved my 800XL, but moved onto the C64 by time XEGS arrived.Just screamed 'desperate' by Atari to myself.

NES:It arrived too late, delivering far too little and despite what UK Retro publications would have you believe each time it's featured, did NOT save UK Gaming industry.

CD32 and CDTV-No thaks, perfectly happy with the A500+A1200.

CD-i-Arrived far too late after years of hype from UK press (yes, you ACE).

SNES:had 1 for a while, Plok, Contra, Alien 3, Choplifter 3 etc all fantastic, but it never captured me the way the MD did.

PS2:won a UK model for day 1 launch, was shocked how rough the games looked, though did enjoy Ring Of Red and Extermination, loved Silent Hill 2, GTA 3, but sold it, bought an Xbox.was given another PS2 years later (with 60+ games) for FREE.Saw developers had tapped into it and then some, but Xbox and Dreamcast stole my heart that generation.

And still feel nothing for PS4 or Xbox One.

Well to be fair, the field during the time of Vectrex was pretty much stuff like this. :lol:

attachicon.gifvectrex.jpg

..Now don't get me wrong, I love all these games pictured (except for Adventurevision which I never had). :P

Adventurevision needs a homebrew scene. I get board with the tiny amount of games I own.

I love the Atari stand alones, still having my Video Pinball hooked up, but I can't get into all the other systems of that era.

The 7800, Colecovision, and Famicom with disk system keep me happy on the early gaming front. I've had a Sega Master System, Odyssey 2, and Intellivision (w/The Intellivoice, ECS, and Keyboard) and just never got the systems.

I still have my C64 and Atari 800XL, but I dropped my TI99. I even had the MBX add on for the TI, but couldn't justify keeping it with only and handful of games and maybe 1 or 2 of those being good.

Someone else mentioned loving the Genesis over the SNES and i'm in that boat as well. Except for Super Metroid, the SNES' library just never hooked me and that sound chip really bugged me. The Genesis may have been noisy, but that Yamaha FM sound just sounds so cool.

The N64 was just too ugly graphically for me to enjoy getting into it. I just parted with my PS1 and Saturn so I'm pretty much done with collecting for that time.

Of the modern stuff, I have a PS3, PSP, Wii, Wii U, and 3DS. I have them mostly since I can build up their Digital only and Virtual Consoles without packing my shelves with more stuff.

That might of been me that mentioned the MD (Genesis) libary capturing my attention far more than that of the SNES.

To put it bluntly, MD offered me:Strider, the Strike Series 1st, Streets Of Rage 2, Gauntlet 4, Gunstar Heroes, Thunderforce 3+4, Revenge Of Shinobi, Sonic and so on and so on.
SNEs when it launched, well newer hardware so of course i expected more colours, better sound etc, but slowdown? Final Fight missing 1 character etc? suddenly it did'nt seem quite as Super.
Plus Starfox did'nt really get me giddy either, i'd been used to Warhead, Epic, Starglider 2 etc etc on the ST, this just seemed like consoles finally catching up to home micros.
  • Like 1

Those are all phenomenal games and there's still a ton more to enjoy on that system.

I think a huge part of why I got into a console depended on its arcade ports or arcade style games. Atari, Colecovision, and especially The Genesis (Mega Drive) all satisfied that aspect of gaming.

I should also mention that the Sega 3D Classics on the 3DS (or any other port M2 touches) are one of the finest ways to play some of the best classic arcade/Genesis games, and are a great merging of modern tech with old games.

Out of the systems I've ever considered if I should get, the following are the ones I'm not likely to ever add to my collection:

Atari 2600 - have played some games on systems my friends own, plus emulation. Well, perhaps for modern homebrews but definitely not for games from back in the old days.

Intellivision - got one with a bunch of games a few years ago. I found about one out of 10 games playable, and I really tried to like it. To add salt to the wound, the system would overheat after 30 min of playing so I had to shut it off and have it cool down for an hour. It was the final blow to put it out for sale.

Texas TI-99/4A - tried some games, and never got really fond of it. Systems used to be dirt cheap a few years ago, not so much anymore which is another factor why I'll spend my money elsewhere.

Tandy CoCo series, and Dragon series too - I used to own a CoCo 1 which had THE WORST keyboard I ever have encountered, ZX-81 and Videopac G7000 included. The games don't impress me much neither, possibly I'd consider one to play with OS/9 or FLEX.

Commodore Plus/4 and C16 - ok, as a Commodore user/collector this might seem like an oddball, but I've always despised the TED series as something Commodore sank way too much money into, and frankly it doesn't seem to have any unique games that aren't better on say C64.

All consoles released 1994 or later - this is a big bunch of systems up to and including current gen. I just don't fancy modern gaming, rather stick to the 8-bit and some 16-bit games. However I do own a PSP, which I play with about once every second year so it would be the exception. It brings me to handhelds of all ages, another type of devices I would like to like, but I never got into Gameboy, Lynx or all the newer ones, including mobile phone gaming.

Sega Game Gear: Honestly only grabbed it because it was $5 at my local Goodwill. There isn't many, if any, good games for it. I'd rather get a Nomad if I need a portable Sega console.

Atari 5200: I've heard so many complaints about the joysticks for the 5200 and it is a giant hulking mass of a console. Plus, why get a 5200 when you can get a Atari 800? Much better.

Phillips CD-I: I think the only reason to ever own one of these would be to witness the horror that is Plumbers Don't Wear Ties firsthand.

Gameboy Advance: There are a lot of cool games for it but they are buried under so much shovelware. I'd rather emulate it than pull the SP out and boot it up.

DS: Same reason as the GBA.

SNES: the collecting scene around it is so expensive. I have a few good games for it but would rather play my Genesis.

• Like 1

Phillips CD-I: I think the only reason to ever own one of these would be to witness the horror that is Plumbers Don't Wear Ties firsthand.

That's 3DO. The CD-i does have some great FMV games, though, including some of the best home versions of games like Dragon's Lair.

If we are allowed hand helds, then i'm putting the Gameboy bstraight in here.

Was given one as a gift, with that bloody printer thing, sure batts last ages, fits great into your pocket, a true handheld/portable gaming device, but i bought Alien 3, T2 and few others for it, spenyt ages pissing about with the screen settings, god that screen, bloody awful (and i had a Sega G.G and put up with the ghosting etc on that).

Screen renders it unplayable to myself.Having said that, i love the GBA Micro, screen is a thing of beauty.

GBA (orig.model) i was also given, no backlight was a joke...right?.

Only Nintendo could really pull off a stunt like that and escape customers fury to degree they did.

I do like the NES a lot (I mean, it is in my username), but it's just too expensive right now. Nearly every game I see online is overpriced, and I can almost never find any carts nearby. I have a feeling it's all the YouTubers like AVGN to blame. I love their videos, but it annoys me how they "bump" games and consoles and make them more expensive and in more demand.

Edited by Nesbroslash
  • Like 1

If we are allowed hand helds, then i'm putting the Gameboy bstraight in here.

Was given one as a gift, with that bloody printer thing, sure batts last ages, fits great into your pocket, a true handheld/portable gaming device, but i bought Alien 3, T2 and few others for it, spenyt ages pissing about with the screen settings, god that screen, bloody awful (and i had a Sega G.G and put up with the ghosting etc on that).

Screen renders it unplayable to myself.Having said that, i love the GBA Micro, screen is a thing of beauty.

GBA (orig.model) i was also given, no backlight was a joke...right?.

Only Nintendo could really pull off a stunt like that and escape customers fury to degree they did.

I'm absolutely with you on that. Nintendo gambled correctly on what people would care about (and had a killer app or two, of course), but that screen was absolutely dreadful (hard to see, smeared moving objects, etc.), particularly in comparison to the competition. It's a classic, historically important, etc., but Nintendo went far too long and far too many sequels without a backlight/decent screen on their systems.

I think there are only 2 consoles i can't really get in.

1- the NES : i always hated its design. and back time each time i played a game on NES, i add the feeling to play more or less always the same with just different graphism and sound . And coming from C64 , i never liked how sound the NES!

2- the PS1 (in fact PS1 to PS4) : I can find any "soul" to that consoles. Just like if i buy a T.V or a Oven or what else, just a product without "soul". Nice, but i feel nothing for it.

• Like 2

I like them all these days but in the 80's and 90's it was this:

80's: Fairchild, Arcadia.

90's: Virtual Boy, 3DO

Three systems that really pulled me away from computer gaming and I credit them to keeping me interested in consoles is the NES, PS1 and Xbox.

Funny those three companies are still around today making consoles. :P

I admit I was an Atari fanboy though growing up in the early 80's, as a kid I couldn't stand anything other than Atari except when I got a Colecovision. Everything changed. :)

Dunno about a dedicated forum, but there currently is a 22 page long thread here on AA about the Studio II:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/209519-rca-studio-ii-gold-mine-an-interview-with-the-studio-2-production-manager/

I kind of like the Studio II and the Channel F because those are really limited. I don't expect much from them, at least not graphically. I know the Atari VCS was released roughly a half year after the Studio II, and has its programming limitations too, but to me the improved resolution and colour depth too much reminds me of far newer systems and I tend to compare with those which is why I don't fancy it very much. I suppose the blockier, the easier to accept it for what it is. For similar reasons, I care more about the O2/G7000.

Also interesting to hear that NES and SNES are impossibly expensive worldwide, I thought that only was locally over here. If price is an issue, obviously Neo Geo and a few more systems go into the "not interested" bin, just because you can't justify the prices vs how much more playability you would get from other, cheaper systems.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

Gameboy Advance: There are a lot of cool games for it but they are buried under so much shovelware. I'd rather emulate it than pull the SP out and boot it up.

DS: Same reason as the GBA.

Interesting opinions there. I'm not sure how I see "too many games" being a reason not to get into the system. I mean we have tons of after the fact info about the games released for these systems, so you don't have to wonder about what is good. I avoid collecting 2600 games I don't like. How is this different? Handhelds also take up so little space that to me there is very little downside collecting them.

The follow up comments about the original GBA screen are a more convincing reason to stay way - but then again we have the SP.

NES: Don't really see the big deal, I prefer the Master System and Amstrad CPC for my 8-bit fix.

Sega Saturn: Even as a Sega fan, this system just does not interest me. It's a crappier version of the PS1 in a way as they share many games and the Saturn versions are often worse. Most good looking exclusive games are Japanese only.

Atari 5200: Did not release where I live, reliability issues and the games don't look very compelling.

Atari 7800: Dreadful sound chip for the time and most games are rehashed 2600 or A8-bit computer games.

ZX Spectrum: Horrible colour choices and clashing in the graphical department. Audio is even worse than the Atari 7800. Cheap and nasty membrane keyboard too.

Wii: System is full of shovelware titles for kids. Motion control is not really my thing.

Xbox One: Not a fan of Microsoft's exclusive games aside from Fable and PGR... might get one when the console is cheap in future.

There's my list ^^

Edited by R.Bear

SNES.

Sure, all the early 1990's video gaming mags drooled all over it and gave it winning status over the Genesis (and of course I had to buy an SNES not long after I bought the glorious Genesis Model 1 system bundled with Sonic 1 in December 1992), it always disappoints me. Superior graphics and sound cannot win over superior gameplay and control.

No matter which games I play I just get discouraged with it in short order because of the difficulty of the games, the worst controllers I ever used, and the control (in general).

Even though I maintain a small SNES collection compared to what I used to own I set it up very infrequently.

For me, over the years there were very few consoles that I just did not have any interest in owning. A few I did own and wish I did not. Those would be -

- The 3DO. I had one of these, and it was the first big console regret I ever had. Sure, it had the first arcade-perfect version of Street Fighter 2 on a home console, but that alone was hardly worth the $600 price tag.

- The Jaguar. Had one of these too. Launch day even. It frustrated me that the console had loads of potential, but no support.

- The Nintendo 64. This was probably the first time a console came out where I had no desire to own it, ever. The games were ugly, and the console itself looked like it was designed by Fisher-Price. Don't even get me started on the worst controller ever.

- The Sega Saturn. It just seemed like a substandard PS1.

- The TurboDuo. I owned one of these, too. All the games were just cheap knock offs of better games that were out for the Genesis and SNES. The 2 best games that the console did have only came out in Japan. (CSF2 and Dracula X)