IGNORED

Consoles you just can't get excited about

The importance lies not in understanding the consoles, but just seeing what fellow forumers like and dislike. It's interesting to get to know each other's tastes a bit, imo.

OK, since you explained it well. Therefore....

As much as an Atari fan as I am, I'm just not so interested in the Jaguar, even though I owned one in 1995. When Tempest X3 came out on Playstation (and was analogue-playable with the PS Mouse), I never turned the Jag on anymore, and sold it. No offense to anyone, but that is the point of this thread.

• Like 2

I don't have to pay for a system pass to play Steam games...

And what system exactly do you think you need a system pass to play games on? Just because you need to pay for PS Plus or Xbox Live to game online on the PS4 and Xbox One, respectively, doesn't mean that you need those services for anything else. That's also ignoring the other benefits - like free games - that those and other similar pay services offer. It's all quite clear. You may as well also complain about Netflix's or Spotify's monthly fees while you're at since you don't get to keep any of the stuff you watch if your subscription lapses. Or do those not count for some reason?

Steam is great of course (I have countless hundreds of games on it), but let's not pretend it's a perfect system. It's not and is subject to the same types of issues any other DRM-based platform is.

And what system exactly do you think you need a system pass to play games on? Just because you need to pay for PS Plus or Xbox Live to game online on the PS4 and Xbox One, respectively, doesn't mean that you need those services for anything else. That's also ignoring the other benefits - like free games - that those and other similar pay services offer. It's all quite clear. You may as well also complain about Netflix's or Spotify's monthly fees while you're at since you don't get to keep any of the stuff you watch if your subscription lapses. Or do those not count for some reason?

Steam is great of course (I have countless hundreds of games on it), but let's not pretend it's a perfect system. It's not and is subject to the same types of issues any other DRM-based platform is.

Yes, it has it's problems (which is why I'm primarily a classic gamer), but there is zero point in having a modern console when you can play online multplayer on PC for free.

Yes, it has it's problems (which is why I'm primarily a classic gamer), but there is zero point in having a modern console when you can play online multplayer on PC for free.

It seems to me to be a simplistic point of view. You either enjoy the conveniences and benefits of console gaming, or you don't. The fact that you need to pay a nominal fee for online multiplayer (plus other benefits that are included) is fairly meaningless in the grand scheme of things, particularly since you're generally paying for a more unified online ecosystem with a persistent identity. In other words, if that's your deal breaker, then it doesn't seem to be a very good one. To me, I can't imagine gaming just one way to the exclusion of other ways, but obviously to each their own. The reality is, this is not a debate about the benefits of "open minded" gaming, it's a topic about what gaming platforms you just don't care for. In that regard, there's nothing for me to "argue" against, so I'll just keep quiet now.

It seems to me to be a simplistic point of view. You either enjoy the conveniences and benefits of console gaming, or you don't. The fact that you need to pay a nominal fee for online multiplayer (plus other benefits that are included) is fairly meaningless in the grand scheme of things, particularly since you're generally paying for a more unified online ecosystem with a persistent identity. In other words, if that's your deal breaker, then it doesn't seem to be a very good one. To me, I can't imagine gaming just one way to the exclusion of other ways, but obviously to each their own. The reality is, this is not a debate about the benefits of "open minded" gaming, it's a topic about what gaming platforms you just don't care for. In that regard, there's nothing for me to "argue" against, so I'll just keep quiet now.

It's not that it's a deal breaker (note, I pay for things all the time, and am an AtariAge subscriber), but that there are no benefits of those "ecosystems" that appeal to me.

• 2 weeks later...
I love the idea of owning Vectrex, but I'm wondering if they are reliable or how soon the novelty of playing on a monochrome vector screen wears off.<br />

<br />

The monochrome screen looks vibrant and amazing. The flicker in some games is a little annoying. But damn, the vectrex games are a blast to play. Currently enjoying Scramble, Star Castle, Armor Attack, Rip off, and minestorm. Berzerk is awesome as well but I could do without the slow down when there's a lot of robots on screen. The overlays are pretty cool IMO. Also, hyperchase might be the best old school car racing game I have ever played.<br />

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Still the PS4 and XB1.Prospect of more Halo does nothing for me (played, completed Halo's 1-4, inc Anniv.edition, Halo Wars, Reach and ODST).Ditto Gears Of War (1-3 completed).

Sony's recent showing of Uncharted 4 did nowt for me, trailer bored the arse off me and a slightly better looking version of the 3 games i've completed on PS3 is'nt doing anything for me and i found The Last Of Us to be nothing special.

A new God Of War game? well again there i've completed 1-3, plus both PSP games, owned series on PS2, PSP+PS3 (inc HD Collections).Series run it's course.

The Order looked ropey....

The Crew looks bland.

There's simply nothing on either, even now in form of coming in 2015 that makes me think it's time to put my PS3 to bed.

• Like 1

I haven't been excited about any system since the Dreamcast.

For me it was the PlayStation 2. Pretty much lost interest after that.

Otherwise, the Genesis, TurboGrafx, Jaguar, and most handhelds immediately come to mind. I know the Genesis has some great titles -- I was even a Genesis fanboy growing up -- but for me it's the least interesting Sega console, and I prefer the Super Nintendo for just about everything as far as 16-bit consoles go (the Genesis is better for fighters, but I grew out of my fighter phase a long time ago, and my favorite fighter is probably Tekken 2/3 anyway).

I tried a TG-16 a few times at gaming shows and was unimpressed; everything seemed like really early Genesis games -- i.e. aged VERY poorly -- although Dracula X on PC Engine CD was amazing.

Jaguar...eh. I've tried with the Jaguar, I really have. Yes, I've played Tempest 2000. Yes, I've played Alien Vs. Predator. Yes, I've played Doom. Yes, I've played Iron Soldier. No, I don't think any of those games are THAT good.

Handhelds really aren't on my radar in general, though I'll occasionally pick up some Game Boy games if I find them, and I want to get a Microvision and NeoGeo Pocket Color one of these days. Pretty much no interest whatsoever in the Lynx, Game Gear, GBA, Virtual Boy, 3/DS, PSP, or Vita, though. (I'd grab a Game.com if I stumbled across one cheap, just for the oddball factor.)

The current generation of consoles (PS4+XB1) is an 'odd' time to be living through.The prospect of:Far more QTE sections in games, broken stealth sections, ropey A.I, Day 1 patches the normality, everything possible locked behind paid-for walls (PS+/XBL), play for 2-3 mins...cutscene...play another 2-3 mins..cutscene as games strive to be ever more cinematic....more HD updates of games i've only just finished with on PS3/360 (GTA 5, Last Of Us etc)...uninspiring new I.P's (The Order)....

There just does'nt seem to be a god damn thing i can really get behind and say, wow! i cannot wait till that hits, need a new machine, badly....
  • Like 1

Well, any of the current next gen stuff. Just nothing to get excited about. They have ALL gotten simply to far away from what makes video games, well, video games. Starting with the fact you should just be able to play them, without having to be reamed and download tons of updates to fix broken shit that wouldn't be broken if the current games makers had a damn clue what they were doing.

Anyhow, for me, further back, I'd say Genesis, anything sega really. I know "bt i'ts more powerful blah blah blah" I always liked the color (nice adult pastel colors instead of kindergarten class primaries) and sound (voice quality multiple PCM channels, instead of really old, even for late 80's bit tunes) that the nintendo's offered. And other than a few sports titles, the SNES version seemed to always beat out the genesis version.

• Like 1

Still the PS4 and XB1.Prospect of more Halo does nothing for me (played, completed Halo's 1-4, inc Anniv.edition, Halo Wars, Reach and ODST).Ditto Gears Of War (1-3 completed).

Sony's recent showing of Uncharted 4 did nowt for me, trailer bored the arse off me and a slightly better looking version of the 3 games i've completed on PS3 is'nt doing anything for me and i found The Last Of Us to be nothing special.

A new God Of War game? well again there i've completed 1-3, plus both PSP games, owned series on PS2, PSP+PS3 (inc HD Collections).Series run it's course.

The Order looked ropey....

The Crew looks bland.

There's simply nothing on either, even now in form of coming in 2015 that makes me think it's time to put my PS3 to bed.

This is really the the kicker for me too.

Right now the only games that interest me at all are upgrades of games I already have on PS3.

• 2 weeks later...

My personal "meh" systems:

Most older "rare" systems: Sure, cool idea and a few games I like, but I can get most of these games on other systems.

PS4/XBO: Again, lost interest due to lack of quality games I can't play elsewhere.

3DO: While there is one game I play on this, usually it's a couple of hours, and back to the PC.

SNES: Wait, I'm saying sacrilage? Yes, the SNES was colorful, but, mainly due to Nintendo's censorship, games I would play were either on other systems, or looked better.

Sega 32X: Short-lived add-on, and too few games.

Atari 5200: Controllers wear out too fast even compared to the Inty and the Coleco.

Amiga CDTV/CD32: Cool idea, horrible implementation. Make it possible to convert Amiga games over, and maybe...

Well, more like I meant playing the normal Amiga games on the CDTV/CD32, via CD-rom. Those are pc conversions of the Amiga titles.

Look again. Those are Amiga games for the CD32, i.e., ISOs you can burn to disc and play on the real thing. That's why I said look at the "AMIGA CD32 - EAROK PORTS" category, since the stuff before it doesn't relate to the CD32.

While I'm a big Amiga platform fan and have most of the systems in my collection, including a CDTV and CD32, I do admit I mostly play CDTV and CD32 stuff on my tricked out Amiga 1200 with CF card. WHDLoad is something else.

• 2 months later...

After perusing ebay today i'm going to add Virtual Boy to this list. It just looks like a hassle and not enough games to justify it.

Game systems that were on my original list that i'm taking off because I've acquired/reacquired them and they ROCK

-Sega Saturn

-Colecovision

The Saturn is an awesome system to collect for. It has a strong library of unique games , consisting of many 2.5D type of games. Saturn wasn't really built to be a 3D powerhouse, but developers did some clever programming to sort of give off a 3D effect. I also love the cases that the disc's came in, you really felt like you were getting your monies worth with those huge cases, nice artwork, and big manuals.

I consider the Saturn packaging to be the epitome of disc based games.

The Saturn is an awesome system to collect for. It has a strong library of unique games , consisting of many 2.5D type of games. Saturn wasn't really built to be a 3D powerhouse, but developers did some clever programming to sort of give off a 3D effect. I also love the cases that the disc's came in, you really felt like you were getting your monies worth with those huge cases, nice artwork, and big manuals.

I consider the Saturn packaging to be the epitome of disc based games.

You really had me confused for a moment until I realized that I am probably an outlier in Saturn collecting: I pretty much only get JP version of games (except RPGs, in which the Saturn was not especially strong anyway).

Systems I can't get excited about:

Odyssey2 - This system is a tough sell these days. I bought mine second-hand over 12 years ago and I've only played it a handful of times. I don't even feel like I own it. I feel like I'm just storing it at my house.

Atari 5200 - As a fan of the 2600 and 7800 I just can't get excited about the console in the middle. Most of its library can be played on either Atari console I just mentioned and with better controller options.

Intellivision & Colecovision - I enjoy a few games for these systems but, honestly, they spend most of their time in boxes.

Jaguar - I wish Atari would have scrapped any plans they had with Jaguar (like they did with Panther) and stuck with making the Lynx the best it could be. They were onto something great but they threw it away by not promoting it very well, not addressing the battery issue, and eventually ignoring it altogether for the Jaguar, which has little to no redeeming qualities in its hardware or game library, IMO. Had Atari stuck with portable gaming and concentrated on competing with one market instead of two, maybe they'd be in a less sucky position now.

Dreamcast - I really want to like this system because I hear a lot of people say it's their favorite but I'm not feeling the love. The controller isn't that great, the CD drive is loud, and there are only a handful of games that are mildly interesting. Typing of the Dead is about the only stand-out game I had a lot of fun with. Crazy Taxi is awesome but I can play that on my Gamecube. Sonic Adventure sucks. Power Stone and Soul Caliber are good fighting games, but I'm just not that into fighting games.