IGNORED

Galaga Crashing All the Time

VectorGamer

It would be helpful to gain more evidence from more owners, including how often it happens, when it happens, what happens. As much information as possible. Then we can hopefully figure out the root of the problem.

I love this game and so will definitely give it a good workout this coming weekend. If the issue happens again I'll log the details and post back here.

• 2 weeks later...

Crash usually occurs when Galaga is descending with a red captured ship.

Crash occurred on various normal stages 1, 4 so on. No crash on challenging stage. ( no ship to capture on challenging stages )

Tested with Atari Europad, Super Action Controller, and regular Coleco keypad. Crash happened with all three different controllers.

Hope this helps to give a starting point?

• 2 weeks later...

The only way to know for sure what the issue could be is if everyone reports all the details about their system (modded and what mods and by whom or unmodded) and if they exerience the corrupted graphics or not and when.

Occassionally I have experienced the issue on my Yurkie modded CV that has his Video Mod Board, Pause Button, Power Light Mod, Bios Skip Mod, Power Supply Mod and numerous sockets added for quick chip replacement. We would also have to know for sure if there was any differences in the first run SGM that could cause the issue. Aside from that, possibly a change in the Cartridge PCB was made or a different manufacturer used.

Probably a programming bug, but everything would have to be considered.

Edited by NIAD

My CV was modded by Yurkie with a Composite Mod, BIOS skip, I am using a first run SGM. The first copy of Galaga didn't work. The second does work.

Was the ROM modified in the second run as well as the PCB?

I think the first run of Galaga had "push Spacebar" on the title screen. Now it says "push button".

Hi guys, We have a fix for anyone who as a problem with is Galaga.

You can PM me anytime to return it, please return the cart only.

I will change the pcb and label. Sega_Shark is the only one that has return it yet,

On the new label it will say "REV A"

The new rom was tested in a few system without issue. Thank you!

• Like 7

Greetings Coleco-master,

Did the solution imply a hardware incompatibility between the cart and console?

I ask this as I was wondering if it was combo so those of us would know to send in our carts before we get our SGM when the 2nd batch are shipped.

I figure if there was a way to tell you can avoid a bunch of requests all at once when the SGM does come out?

Thank you again for the dedication to a great game.

• 2 weeks later...

I have two Galaga carts. I played the first one and on the second game, part way into Level 2, the graphics suddenly became corrupted as shown in the image below. The enemy and my fighter were still visible and the game continued to play, i.e. I could move the fighter left and right and the enemy moved and flew down the screen. So, it's not a complete crash of the program. I played around 20 more games on the same cart and the problem didn't occur again.

I also played a bunch of games on my second cart and the problem didn't occur at all.

I thought you were just supposed to shoot all the letter B's on this level ;(

• 2 weeks later...