IGNORED

What 2600 games are you playing right now?

24Fanatic365

If you want to see a perfect example of Shovelware, fire up Springer. Atari's Pac-Man & E.T. have nothing to compare to the sheer awfulness of this game. AND it actually came out in '82, making it a prime candidate for plausible scapegoat for causing the crash! Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree!! I almost think Firefly is a better game to play than that hunk of shit. Completely unplayable!

Wasn't aware of this cart. Looks like it may be available from Hozer Video Games, so I may be able to add it to collection. Thanks! Nice to have another light gun game.

That's where I got my copy. :) The label is a little lower resolution than I'd like (which is par for the course with Hozer) but the price wasn't bad at all, especially considering that this is one of those few games that requires a SARA chip to play. So as long as you don't mind paying a little more than usual and knowing that a Dig Dug cartridge had to be sacrificed to make your copy of Shooting Arcade then it's well worth picking up. The game is a prototype but it seems 100% complete and I've never found any bugs in it. Most importantly though, it's fun! There's a lot more variety in Shooting Arcade than there is in Sentinel, though Shooting Arcade is definitely the more difficult of the two light gun games currently available for the 2600. I'd really love to see some talented homebrew developers put out a few more light gun games someday; especially if someone could pull off a 2600 port of The House of the Dead or something that involved shooting zombies. :-D

Do you know whether other lightguns than xe ones do work on a vcs ? I'm thinking about sega master system for example, or some c64 compatibles, both have the same plug.

There are two other options that I know of. One is to use a Sega Master System light gun with an adapter (as Save2600 mentioned) and the other is the Atari Light Gun that Best Electronics sells. Personally I'd recommend getting a Best Electronics Atari Light Gun, as it's an extremely accurate and well built light gun with the absolute best trigger I've ever felt on any home console light gun. The trigger uses an ultralight microswitch contact with a super short pull, and it's about as comfortable as a light gun trigger gets. I'm a bit of a light gun game fanatic and have owned at least one of almost every high quality light gun produced for home game consoles over the years, and the Best Electronics Atari Light Gun is definitely one of my favorites. The only complaint I could really make about it is the lack of a rear sight, but it's still very easy to aim with and "hammer a nail at 1 meter" accurate. It's by far the best light gun option for the Atari 2600 in my opinion. :)

6gm33D8.jpg

• Like 2

Some years ago, I searched for a spare tia and found that Best Electronic, but I thought that it was just some forgotten web pages lying there, seeing the overall look. Glad to know they still live ! :)

All orders must go by mail ?

Edited by Cambouis de l'Atari
  • Like 1

That's where I got my copy. :) The label is a little lower resolution than I'd like (which is par for the course with Hozer) but the price wasn't bad at all, especially considering that this is one of those few games that requires a SARA chip to play. So as long as you don't mind paying a little more than usual and knowing that a Dig Dug cartridge had to be sacrificed to make your copy of Shooting Arcade then it's well worth picking up. The game is a prototype but it seems 100% complete and I've never found any bugs in it. Most importantly though, it's fun! There's a lot more variety in Shooting Arcade than there is in Sentinel, though Shooting Arcade is definitely the more difficult of the two light gun games currently available for the 2600. I'd really love to see some talented homebrew developers put out a few more light gun games someday; especially if someone could pull off a 2600 port of The House of the Dead or something that involved shooting zombies. :-D

There are two other options that I know of. One is to use a Sega Master System light gun with an adapter (as Save2600 mentioned) and the other is the Atari Light Gun that Best Electronics sells. Personally I'd recommend getting a Best Electronics Atari Light Gun, as it's an extremely accurate and well built light gun with the absolute best trigger I've ever felt on any home console light gun. The trigger uses an ultralight microswitch contact with a super short pull, and it's about as comfortable as a light gun trigger gets. I'm a bit of a light gun game fanatic and have owned at least one of almost every high quality light gun produced for home game consoles over the years, and the Best Electronics Atari Light Gun is definitely one of my favorites. The only complaint I could really make about it is the lack of a rear sight, but it's still very easy to aim with and "hammer a nail at 1 meter" accurate. It's by far the best light gun option for the Atari 2600 in my opinion. :)

6gm33D8.jpg

You've sold me on Shooting Arcade. I recently ordered SoundX from Hozer, and will order Shooting Arcade soon. I have an XE Lightgun but may pickup the Best Electronics Atari Light Gun too.

Good stuff...thanks!

• Like 1

My 5 year old son has been playing 2600 pacman lately which in turn makes me play it too, however I've never had a problem with 2600 pacman. I like it for what it is, and regardless of accuracy, it's still fun. To my son, pacman is pacman so he enjoys it, and he also likes the arcade (my dad has the cab), just as I did at his age.

Here is a pic of him playing, I couldn't resist taking a picture.

Parenting done right! I love this.
  • Like 1

Well slap my face! Lightguns work on the 2600? News to me! Holy crap! I know what I'm picking up next!

Quick question, would it work on a modded FlashBack 2? That's all I have, not an actual 2600.

I have no idea whether or not Atari lightguns, Sentinel, and Shooting Arcade would work on a cartridge modded Flashback 2, but hopefully someone else will be able give it a try. I have a Flashback 2, it just doesn't have the cartridge port mod.

To get back on topic though, today I played a ton of Robot Tank and Venture. I was enjoying both of them so much that I ended up losing track of time and playing each of them for nearly two hours!

Was the XE gun even sold separately in the U.S.? I've only ever seen it packed with XEGS sets. The XE gun is pretty notorious for its poor accuracy, but it's at least one of the cooler-looking light guns out there.

For shits and giggles, I decided to refamiliarize myself with E.T. Contrary to popular hearsay, it's a decent game...or at least it *can* be. I actually had very little trouble with the wells. The problem I had was the FBI guy kept stealing my frickin' phone parts, and when--after much frustration--I was finally able to phone home, the scientist would pop up and scare off my ride. The only time the pits became irritating was when I'd be running away from those two dicks (and they show up CONSTANTLY) and I'd accidentally fly into one. Eventually I just died without even completing the first round. Game 3 is a nice crash course, but way too easy since there's really nothing impeding you from your goal. Game 2 is a pretty good balance. Game 1 just aggravated me.

I have no idea whether or not Atari lightguns, Sentinel, and Shooting Arcade would work on a cartridge modded Flashback 2, but hopefully someone else will be able give it a try. I have a Flashback 2, it just doesn't have the cartridge port mod.

Well here's hoping someone can answer.

So, about Shooting Arcade, the one you have, is it a repro of the original prototype or was it "cleaned up"? I only ask because this reviewer doesn't think the original game was all that good.

the horrid controls. The light gun aim is so off it makes it almost impossible to hit something by aiming directly at it. If your lucky enough to actually hit something, it's almost a guarantee that you'll never be able to hit it again as the shooting code is so buggy that shooting at the same spot three times in a row will result in hitting three completely different areas of the screen. This problem is really the death nail for Shooting Arcade, and ruins what could have otherwise been an awesome game

Edited by ComputerSpaceFan

Well here's hoping someone can answer.

So, about Shooting Arcade, the one you have, is it a repro of the original prototype or was it "cleaned up"? I only ask because this reviewer doesn't think the original game was all that good.

the horrid controls. The light gun aim is so off it makes it almost impossible to hit something by aiming directly at it. If your lucky enough to actually hit something, it's almost a guarantee that you'll never be able to hit it again as the shooting code is so buggy that shooting at the same spot three times in a row will result in hitting three completely different areas of the screen. This problem is really the death nail for Shooting Arcade, and ruins what could have otherwise been an awesome game

My copy is a reproduction of the original prototype with no changes made, and I've never has any of the accuracy problems that the reviewer you quoted described. The reviewer blamed the shooting code for their accuracy issues but I think the more likely culprit was whatever light gun they were using. The XE light gun is notoriously inaccurate, so it would be no surprise that they couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it if that's what they were using. The only Atari light gun I own is the Best Electronics light gun, so I can't test that theory, but I can tell you that I have had no accuracy problems at all when playing the original prototype with my light gun. My shots all go where I aim them and the game has been a very enjoyable addition to my Atari 2600 library. :)

To keep things on topic, I am currently playing Lock 'N' Chase. I picked it up for $0.90 at a local game store yesterday and have been getting more than my money's worth of fun out of it. As far as Pac-Man clones go this is definitely one of the more unique ones, and surprisingly challenging!