IGNORED

S Video / HDMI Converter

forrestsmith

Hello

I have a S video moded Darth Vader that I did the conversion on last year. Works and looks great on my CRT television. Do to some downsizing I will no longer be able to use the CRT television, I will be using a few year old PROSCAN LED 32 inch flat screen television. In the past I have used this TV using a stock Atari with RF cable and a Darth Vader with just the composite mod with pretty good success. My problem is the TV has no S video input for my S video Atari. I recently bought a S video to HDMI Converter on EBAY that did not work, not sure if it was defective or just did not work with my equipment. I have searched on here and have read about some of them. Just wanted to know what converters you are actually using and having success with. The one I bought cost around fifty dollars, would not mind spending more if I knew it would work, just don't want to spend hundreds of dollars Thanks for your help.

Try Monoprice.

I haven't tried using it with a 2600, but Monoprice's stuff generally works very well, and you can return it if not.

One issue is that the 2600 has wonky video, even when modded. It may be that you need to run it through a VCR (if you can find one with S-Video) first, to stabilize the signal.

Edited by Nathan Strum

I use that upscaler from monoprice with my modded 7800 with svideo. It gives a great picture.

Thanks for the information. I saw the Monoprice one in my searches, guess I will give that one a try

Try Monoprice.

I haven't tried using it with a 2600, but Monoprice's stuff generally works very well, and you can return it if not.

One issue is that the 2600 has wonky video, even when modded. It may be that you need to run it through a VCR (if you can find one with S-Video) first, to stabilize the signal.

I really never thought about the out going signal itself, I just assumed if it was going out in a S video cable one of this would convert it. Guess that's not always the case.

Forrest

I have and still use this exact upscaler myself. I actually have nearly all my classic systems AV modded with s-vid or composite and run them into a multi AV selector. From there, the output goes into the upscaler, and then out to the receiver. From there to the TV.

I'm sure there is lag with all that I have in the mix, but it isn't enough that I've really noticed. What I do notice is that with such a clear picture, I experience some jarring blurring on the screen when games scroll etc. But that too I've gotten used to.

But yes, I use this exact model myself and use it nearly daily.