IGNORED

USB - DE9 joystick adapters (TI compatibility?)

OLD CS1

http://www.retronicdesign.com/en/

EXCELLENT looking device. I am going to grab one or two for my emulator purposes. I asked the designer about TI compatibility. Anyone think this might be able to be coerced to work with TI controllers?

Yeah yeah, I am the only one who cares because everyone else hates them. But for those of you using Classic99, MESS, et. al. this should let you use any 9-pin controller with your emulator.

• Like 2

EXCELLENT looking device. I am going to grab one or two for my emulator purposes. I asked the designer about TI compatibility. Anyone think this might be able to be coerced to work with TI controllers?

Yeah yeah, I am the only one who cares because everyone else hates them. But for those of you using Classic99, MESS, et. al. this should let you use any 9-pin controller with your emulator.

Hah! I have never heard of anyone wanting to connect TI controllers to another system, why would you subject yourself to the pain of using those torture tools :)? But I guess since you can make an adaptor from Atari-to-TI it should be possible to make one that does TI-to-Atari, no?

I actually think it's quite neat to be able to use real vintage controllers with emulators.

• 1 month later...

I have been working with Francis today and after several different firmware, he finally nailed the problem and the adapter works with TI joysticks (as well as TI joystick adapters.) As well, BOTH sticks work in the single unit, and show up in Windows as two joysticks.

The problem with the original TI sticks was apparently two-fold: slow diodes and the pull-up voltage from the device. He got it squared and all is well!

I know you lot really do not like the TI sticks, but the fact that it works with an adapter is pretty cool so you can still use Atari-a-like joysticks. Well, yeah, you could have done that without the TI firmware, but now you can do two sticks with one controller.

Because it's there.

• Like 2

Looks interesting.

Edited by Wildstar

Try to be a universal DB9 to USB controller adapter ;)

Well... If the Vectrex controller wants to cooperate!!! I'm currently struggling with this analog bugger... :mad:

Your pal here, Stargunner, gave me a hand with the TI joysticks. He's patient I can tell you! :thumbsup:

Cheers!

• Like 2

This is the one I got, but I've only tested it with the Atari joystick, paddle, and racing controller. So far, I love it!

http://home.comcast.net/~tjhafner/2600-daptor.htm

Update, I don't think it supports TI controllers (yet), so I emailed the guy. We'll see what happens. I really like the finished look of his "Daptor".

Darryl

Edited by dphirschler

• 2 weeks later...

I do have firmware for the Vision-daptor (http://home.comcast.net/~tjhafner/Vision-daptor.htm) that supports the Ti-99/4A and shows up as two joysticks. I have to admit I never thought people would go for the idea of having to reprogram the firmware every time they switch controllers.

Tom

It is not a big deal to re-program the firmware. I bought two interfaces so I can keep one as TI and another for (usually) Atari-Amiga-Commodore. I will change the Atari firmware as I need, mostly because those are the only things I emulate. I have a Sega Nomad and a Genesis II with CD if I want to play that, amongst other real hardware :)

Reprogramming utility is windows, so MAC/Linux only people are left out in the cold. Neat project, just be sure to understand the requirements.

Tom

I know it would be a pain to set up just for ONE thing, but with the number of "things" which require Windows to run and do not have Mac or Linux equivalents, VirtualBox allows direct access to USB devices under any host operating system. It might be worth setting up a VirtualBox VM running at least Windows XP to do tasks like this. Hell, I am running an 8.1 VM just so I can manage Hyper-V v3 remotely.

• 1 year later...