IGNORED

Midwest Gaming Classic april 11th and 12th ,2015

Dan Iacovelli

So will there be any kind of Atari Age meet up going on? It'd be great to be able to chat with someone about this stuff face to face. I just keep talking about homebrews to my wife saying "isn't that cool!?" and she just sorta shrugs :P

I'll be on the lookout for a Harmony Cart, or whichever is the most ideal now for the Flashback 2. Also some Wonderswan games; bought one from the dude that wasn't Madgear, and then got bogged down with event stuff and didn't make it back into the "temporary structure" (Dan gave me a stern dad-lecture when I called it a tent :lol:) at all on Sunday.

We'll be running the Benheck Experience again, most of the same stuff as last year, 3D printing all weekend and a few new projects and portables, (hopefully) fixes, etc. I'll have two Flashback 2's up on display, one toploader and one frontloading, and hopefully some pre-wired kits.

We're also a part of the VIG Friday night show too where we will try to build a Nintendo on-a-chip portable almost completely from scratch from 6pm to Midnight.

Two speaking events I'm announcing:

This Saturday 11am at the Midwest Gaming Classic​!
Meet the man who buried E.T. and other Atari games in the desert
In 1983 Atari buried truckloads of games in the Alamogordo, NM desert, an event that captured imaginations everywhere as its legend and the myths surrounding it grew over the decades that followed. Famously excavated last year in front of news crews and world wide attention, a little known fact was that the man who originally dumped the games was on hand and had assisted them in re-finding the games (and told them what they'd actually find). Now for the first time, Jim Heller publicly (live via skype) tells the full story of what really went on those 32 years ago. Learn the real stories behind this video game pop culture phenomenon, and how in the end it was just another day on the job for Jim. As the documentary Atari: Game Over found out, although it wasn't a mass dumping of E.T., the stories behind the scenes were far more interesting than even the legends themselves. MC'd by Atari Inc. - Business Is Fun co-author Marty Goldberg.
Sunday 1 to 1:50 PM
The 414s: The Original Teenage Hackers
The 414s, the group of teenage hackers from the early 80s who rose to national and then international attention at a time when the public awareness of hacking was just rising. Hailing from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, members became superstars of the media, appearing on magazine covers like Newsweek and testifying in front of congress. Together with the release of the classic movie Wargames in 1983, they inspired a generation of kids to spend countless hours in their bedroom on their Apple, Commodore and Atari computers hacking. This year a group of Milwaukee filmmakers produced a documentary on the group that's now appearing on CNN. The MGC is proud to show this documentary to be followed by a panel with the film makers and original 414 member Tim Winslow.
  • Like 3

I'll be going on Sunday. Last year I spent a majority of my time in the vendor tent even though I think its more of a sellers market there and really didn't bring anything home. I plan to spend a lot more time in the museum putting some hands on time with some stuff I don't have. What I would love to see there is a CD-i with one of the Zelda games. Also I've heard a lot about the Castlevania and Metal Gear for the MSX, not sure what your planning on bringing Tempest but I'd like to check those out. Other then that I'm sure i'll be on my 3ds clearing out the Street Pass a lot of the time.

*And my Dad is looking for a Jaguar CD so if anyone has a line on one let me know.

Also I've heard a lot about the Castlevania and Metal Gear for the MSX, not sure what your planning on bringing Tempest but I'd like to check those out. Other then that I'm sure i'll be on my 3ds clearing out the Street Pass a lot of the time.

I have Castlevania on the flashcart, but I'd have to reflash it to run Metal Gear since it takes up a lot of space (or maybe the first one is on there and the second one requires the reflash, I'll have to check).

I think we should switch to Homerun being the opening of baseball season and all.

I'm down to Bo Jackson this shit. :-D

Anyhoo, I'll be in the corner by Tempest; barring any last-minute changes, I'll have the Odyssey 100, Studio II, Sears Video Arcade, TRS-80 (I'm trying to focus on the '70s gaming experience), and Compaq Portable. I'll also squeeze in a TRS-80 MC-10 over by Thanatos' Color Computer area.

...does anyone know if they're trying the outdoor vendor tent again?

Yes, but it's going to be much improved from last year. It will be sandbagged off in case of rain, and there will be more heaters available as well (in case they are needed), so it should never get too chilly. It's still not ideal, but it's the best that can be done with the space available.

I'll have some crap stuff for trade at the show. Nothing too amazing but there's probably some decent stuff in my box if you dig (it's very random with everything from 2600 to Apple II and Game & Watch stuff). I'll also have some spare Atari 800 parts (don't ask) and some empty Genesis boxes that I just found (no idea where they came from). I'm generally looking for old computer (non-PC) stuff like Apple II, TRS-80, C-64, etc items. I would desperately like to get my hands on a Exidy Sorcerer or a working TRS-80 Model III/4 but I don't think that's too likely. :)

I'll have some crap stuff for trade at the show. Nothing too amazing but there's probably some decent stuff in my box if you dig (it's very random with everything from 2600 to Apple II and Game & Watch stuff). I'll also have some spare Atari 800 parts (don't ask) and some empty Genesis boxes that I just found (no idea where they came from). I'm generally looking for old computer (non-PC) stuff like Apple II, TRS-80, C-64, etc items. I would desperately like to get my hands on a Exidy Sorcerer or a working TRS-80 Model III/4 but I don't think that's too likely. :)

Whatcha got for Apple // stuff?

Whatcha got for Apple // stuff?

Off the top of my head:

Kings Quest IV disks + Manual

Dondra: A New Beginning disks + Manual

Shogun disks

Arthur disks (maybe, might have traded those last year)

Rampage (complete)

Sargon II (box only)

Any thrift stores in the area that might still have CRTs? They stopped accepting them at goodwill in December out here. It sucks cause I used to just buy one on the way up and donate it back on the way down. :P

also looking for a circle pad pro to hack to bits for my 2DS

Anyone going to MGC interested in a 48k, dual drive TRS-80 Model III? Both drives work great, have an instruction manual and good sized handful of disks with arcade translations and text adventures on them.

Also have a mint boxed Amiga 500 w/ Kickstart 3.1 installed, 1mb of Chip RAM and bundled with a shit ton of software and books and other misc. assorted hardware. Many, many boxed titles and even my loose disks are originals with manuals.

And a Vectrex system w/ one controller.

Oh and a mint, boxed (sans manual) Grundig Sattelit 800 w/ upgraded power supply.

Thinking of things best left unshipped when possible. PM if seriously interested and want to make the effort to meet up, with cash in hand…

Anyone going to MGC interested in a 48k, dual drive TRS-80 Model III? Both drives work great, have an instruction manual and good sized handful of disks with arcade translations and text adventures on them.

Tempest is looking for a Model III. See above.

Thinking of things best left unshipped when possible. PM if seriously interested and want to make the effort to meet up, with cash in hand…

Speaking of: anybody want an IBM RT + two keyboards and mouse? It powers on but I know nothing else about it; my 5150 monitor doesn't seem to work with it.