IGNORED

Weird Player 2 Fire Button Problem

Banquo

A while back I bought an Atari 2600 on eBay, a light sixer. It looks like it just came brand new out of the box, no worn trim or scratches anywhere. I was thrilled and spent days playing all my old games I still had plus new ones I got with it. Everything was great until today, when I tried to play some two player games with a friend. The second controller's fire button seemed to be stuck and just kept firing and you couldn't move; this happened even with no joystick plugged in. After doing some searching here I found one possible cause is a failed buffer chip, so I followed the instructions and cut the two appropriate pins and soldered them together.

It seemed to fix everything, at first. Boxing worked great, but then we tried Combat and the second controller will not fire. Same problem with Space Invaders. I don't understand why the fire button in some games like Boxing works and others it won't. Has anyone ever heard of that happening? I only cut the pins for the right controller since the left worked fine.

I do plan on replacing the buffer chip because I read it helps protect the TIA, I've already picked out some parts:

https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&pa=13071&productId=13071#

https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_11033_-1

I figured I would replace the filter capacitor while I was at it since the original is 35 years old. I also want to get a socket to put the chip in.

Anyway, could the buffer chip still be the cause of the fire button problem in some games or has something else gone bad?

Edited by Banquo

Yeah that is what I had in the beginning. Cutting the pins and connecting them together fixed the auto fire thing and the directional controls work again. The thing I can't figure out is why the fire button doesn't work in only some games. Like in Boxing as I mentioned it is fully functional and pressing fire throws a punch. In some other games though pressing fire does nothing, very odd. I think while I'm ordering parts for it I'm just going to change all of the old capactors, the voltage regulator and its filter capacitor (I hope this will fix the slightly snowy picture) and install a new buffer chip. I just hope the TIA chip isn't bad or something but at least those are socketed.

Edited by Banquo

• 2 weeks later...

Followup: My parts arrived today and after spending the whole evening breathing solder fumes and burning my fingers the operation is complete. I changed the large filter capacitor, the green mylar capacitor, the voltage regulator and installed a 16-pin DIP socket and a new Hex buffer chip. Hooked everything up, plugged in my Combat cartridge and crossed my fingers...

It works! Everything works. The player 2 fire button is now functioning perfectly, the picture is noticably less snowy and the colors are now correct.

Hooray! :D

http://retrogaming.royalwebhosting.net/restoration.html

Edited by Banquo
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have this exact problem just only that the fire button didn't work when I got it. I was wondering how long it took to get your buffer from the site that you have suggested? Also what is the best site for buying these parts?

I think it was a little over a week or something like that if I remember correctly but I'm sure it depends on where you live. Jameco still has them but you can get them from many other sites if you haven't ordered one already, I'm really not sure what the best is now. I fixed that link up there if you want to see how I fixed it, I had forgotten all about making that page. Good luck with it! :)