IGNORED

A wish list of games/projects you like to see running....

A decent version/variation of Zaxxon - if this is possible? It'll probably end up looking like the C64 conversion? I wouldn't like to see a straight conversion of that - but with some more things added to it... You might as well, if you go to the trouble of taking it so far.

I didn't like the A8 conversions of Zaxxon and Super Zaxxon. I do acknowledge that it will not be easy to do - and it may not end up being any good?

Else...

A deluxe version of Blue Max - with new bits added to it...

Or simply a different landscape design/layout for it....

Harvey

I think that this has been discussed before....

... but hey, I'll go with the flow...

My personal wishes for games which should be reasonably do-able on the A8:

A pinball game with decent physics

A 3D isometric game with varied backgrounds (loaded from disk) and a good storyline behind it (something realistic)

A Galaga '88 "clone" (or as close as possible)

Something like "Toki" with horizontal and vertical scrolling sections...

Or perhaps something like "Terry's Big Adventure" (with the Amiga music) as here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqXrf6FwOHE

A 2D Grand Theft Auto with massive maps created from fractal routines.

• Like 1

"...A 2D Grand Theft Auto with massive maps created from fractal routines."

Grand Theft Auto Atari... Done!!! erm the fractal routines might be hard to spot :grin: morekendallsoftklassics.htm

post-19705-0-16107400-1413052992_thumb.pngpost-19705-0-86181200-1413053049_thumb.pngpost-19705-0-99969100-1413053056_thumb.png

A couple I would like to see are The End

&

Donkey Kong II or some new levels for the existing game - the game/movement/engine is so great seems a shame there is not more - when searching I found this http://www.jeffsromhack.com/products/d2k.htm

Perhaps a vertical scrolling version of DK, similar effect to Quasimido. Thrown barrels could fall through the screens etc.

I quite like our versions of Zaxxon just wish they were bigger - more stages etc - think a lot of our games could be extended if there was enough space.

Ramp Rage :)

• Like 1

Well, I've done the GTA 5 rastaconverter picture on another thread, now there's a start! :)

Seriously, I was thinking of something like one of the original GTA games which were 2D (like the "London" one).

The idea is, use fractals to choose the locations/sizes/colours of the buildings. Then inbetween the buildings, use an algorithm for drawing the roads. Have it all in a 2D orthogonal layout. If Rescue on Fractalus can be done which is a lot more complex, this could be done.

Then you load the missions from disk.

Think of Action Biker, but from above, created with a fractal world.

Thanks for pointing out the other version!! How amusing! :)

Edited by snicklin
  • Like 1

Pseudo 3D effects can be done, or more like pseudo 3D FX can be experimented with.

With no deadline to finish by - experimentation over a long period can be done.

eg. Something along the lines of Cytron Masters in which you have different pieces on a board, doing different things - and with some Laser Chess thrown in...

If you look at Kirby's Dream Course (SNES) - you can see how it could be done in isometric view - although this is just some golf like fantasy game - maybe it'll show what can be added to a Marble Madness game?

I was a big fan of the Zaxxon coin-op --- explaining why I like to see a high quality conversion done. I was very disappointed in seeing the Colecovision conversion running - with coarse scrolling. When you see such poor conversions done - it would have been best for players to have used their purchase money on playing the coin-op game. It's always best and easier to work to what the hardware can actually do - like Blue Max is a prime example of this, adding elements that work in very well...

Harvey

Well,

I would like to see sequels for:

- Bruce Lee: with lots of new rooms, could be named Bruce Lee II

- Fort Apocalypse: lots of new rooms / levels, could be named Fort Apocalypse II

- Pitstop, with new tracks, gfx. similar to Pitstop 1, with tournement mode, but with real-time computer opponents and with multiple real-time human opponents, controlled via Gamelink-2 / Multilink network (each player has his own computer and tv/monitor), could be named Pitstop 3

- Battlezone, similar to the Lynx version with green vector mode (NOT the 16 colour Battlezone 2000 mode), with various tanks to choose from, power-ups, a requirement to collect fuel, ammo, etc. and higher gamespeed, could be named Battlezone 2

- a Midi-Maze type game (or Midi-Maze modified) to work with gamelink-2 / multilink network instead of MIDI connection

- Pole Position with various tracks, tournement mode and real-time computer opponents, as well as real-time human opponents; controlled via gamelink-2 / multilink network, could be named PP2

- a motorcycle game similar to Speed Ace, but with various tracks and tournement mode, as well as multiple real-time computer and human opponents, controlled via gamelink-2 / multilink network

clones:

- Super Mario Bros. or Great Giana Sisters

- Sonic the Hedgehog

- a large gfx adventure that functions similar like e.g. Myst, meaning you do not have to type in any text, but you can walk around, explore the landscape and the installments, solve some puzzles and collect pieces to leave that place (island, strange planet or whatever)

patches/fixes:

- all OS-A and OS-B only games, so that they work with XL/XE machines

- Venture! so that it works 100% correct on PAL machines (crashes often on PAL Ataris!)

- lightgun games converted for a different controller, like joystick, trackball, mouse, paddles, koala pad, touch tablet, etc.

Hmm so many games that was and even at the 21st century are still missing on A8...

If all works well we, me and Xuel will do our best to end X:8 in 2014, I want to have Flappy but I don't think so... The same for Uwol.

For 2015 there's a started talking of ideas and gfxs for a real Canabalt port with the horizontal parallax and original gfxs adding some own A8 capabilities. There's also a platformer similar to Uwol but using scrolling and maybe using PMGs overlays similar to MaPa's RGB, interleaved charsets and DLIs that maybe end up in something like or in real Giana Sisters...

There's also my trying to get a certain coder start Pac-Mania coding to be released on cart...

Then there's new idea this week for an old Robin Wood 80s game ;) and end of Summer will be 2015 ABBUC and next year game in my idea depends in what XXL will release or not in his game conversions plans ;)

Yes but like always you can expect anything, not all or just something...

:grin:

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 1

Else...

A deluxe version of Blue Max - with new bits added to it...

Or simply a different landscape design/layout for it....

One thing I'd change on Blue Max if I was going to improve it is to get rid of those stupid looking, direction changing, quad width explosions (??) from the ground enemies. Either just eliminate them altogether (why do they need to explode at all if they haven't hit anything?) or make them look like something other than horizontally staggered lines, and make them obey the laws of physics a little better.

For a game that was done so well and that was paid such close attention to details, I thought that this looked really bad, tarnished an otherwise great game, and detracted from the overall gameplay.

Edited by MrFish

I think that someone's doing a Bruce Lee sequel for the C64. A new version with better AI and all new levels would be good.

Klax, and done as properly as possible.

A 3D dungeon-crawler game. Think Project M, Alternate Reality but a game that has elements of those + Doom but done as a faster paced type of AR game.

Great Gianna Sisters - forget Super Mario, IMO Gianna was a much better game, no wonder Nintendo took legal action then decades later actually released it on the DS themselves.

Pole Position II - agreed, we need a sequel that's more than just PP with alternate tracks hacked in.

Spelunker II - hot on the heels of other mods/addons and sequels. It's a pretty simple game engine that'd probably be easy to just replicate from scratch. A whole new set of maps with the original gameplay elements would be great.

• Like 1

A 3D flight sim with better performance than FS2. Using lookup tables and extended RAM you could probably pull off a half decent frame rate using wireframe or maybe even solid shading.

I would love to see a simplified version of Corncob 3D for the 8-bit.

Others on the wish list: Stunt Car Driver and Prince of Persia

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to see

- Pole Position with more colors and more details

- Galaga

- Phoenix

- Sierra "Quest" games. (Is this possible with the graphics techniques that have been developed for A8?)

- new Rampage

Pole Position is already a really colorful game. I thought they did a great job in the color department. Better resolution/details on the cars would be nice, but I can't see how it can be done with the cars needing quad-width P/M's. The only thing I think they got lazy on was the explosion, which could have combined all players together in high-res to get better detail. Other than that, I think it's about as good as it's gonna get without totally rewriting it. Maybe that's your request?

I agree, I'd like to see Galaga and a better Rampage.

Edited by MrFish

Pole Position is already a really colorful game. I thought they did a great job in the color department. Better resolution/details on the cars would be nice, but I can't see how it can be done with the cars needing quad-width P/M's. The only thing I think they got lazy on was the explosion, which could have combined all players together in high-res to get better detail. Other than that, I think it's about as good as it's gonna get without totally rewriting it. Maybe that's your request?

I agree, I'd like to see Galaga and a better Rampage.

I don't understand all the technical requirements that would be needed. Perhaps it would need a complete rewrite. However, the quad-width players are what detract from the appeal of the game to me.Notice when the player's car gets into a slide on corners. Visually you can no longer even see that it is a car.

There's not much detail in the original Arcade version. All you have to look at is the multicolored (12 colors? 16?) cars and the advertising on the signs. Resolution is probably too low to put the advertising on the road signs but some images or logos or something just to get rid of the blank signs would add to the experience, I think.

Could the cars be done with software sprites in the foreground and P/Ms when they are more distant?

The arcade version has a very good illusion of depth. The A8 version seems totally lacking in this. There are some A8 games that do better at this, Stealth for one. I don't know what visual cues make for good depth illusions but if depth was in A8 Pole Position it would add to the game.

A little enhancement in the sound department would be nice. Stereo, better music player, and improved car sound(s).

Probably too much to ask for what is already a pretty good game, but then this is a 'wish list'

-SteveS

Edited by a8isa1