IGNORED

New Atari 7800 user advice?

cimerians

Well I finally got one and its on its way...picked up a modded console and I have a handful of common games (found them for 1 to 5 bucks at a local used book store):

Asteroids

Food Fight

Galaga

Pole Position II

DK Jr.

To save me some time in searching what homebrew games are out there that I can still get? Also, any regular games that are worth tracking down?

Since I dont have the console yet are the controllers ok out of the box or should I eventually look to mod them too or get something else? I saw an arcade controller listed on this forum that looks cool. I also saw the XM threads which I'll look at when I get the chance.

Not sure why I put it off getting a 7800 for so long. Wasn't interested in the 80's of course and then ever since the 90's its always been "I'll look into it eventually..."

I think what really sparked my interest and to finally seek one out was the latest issue of Retro Gamer:

rg_132-web.jpg

• Like 2

Grab a friend and hook up a second stick. Many of the Arcade to home classics are two player at once; exclusive to the 7800.

I'll for once echo CRTGAMER's sentiment: 2-player Centipede or Joust is great, great fun. Get it AV-modded from ElectronicSentimentalities to make the picture just beautiful, too.

I bought that one ages (atari ages) ago and have never played it. no idea why. i hope it works!

You should fire it up tonight…you won't regret it. It really is a good example of what the system is truly capable of (without any special boards or chips). Quite a solid game…tons of fun!

If you are going to play any 2600 carts, check the difficulty switches, which are unlabeled.

right = hard (a)
left = easy (b)

Besides the games mentioned, IMHO BallBlazer is fast paced and lots of fun, esp. with another human. I think I am in the minority on this, but Hat Trick is also a fun two player game.

• Like 1

I never knew Hat Trick was "bad" until I started visiting this site. Always liked that game. Animation could be smoother but I always played the hell out of it. One On One Basketball is also kinda fun but too easy.

hat tricks sounds were just too much. The rest was ok.

Think if they made a hockey game with the same idea as bblazer with a little different view of course with 3 or 4 players each. How cool woulda that been.

Nhl 84.

Edited by Jinks

Awesome I have the Pac-Man games in mind from AA but will wait until next month and I'm a Scramble arcade fan so I'll end up getting it. Never knew this machine had a bunch of two player games.

One question: Is Donkey Kong a homebrew I see out there or is it a legit original 80's release? Looks like it has the pie level I haven't youtubed it yet. Does it compare well with the CV or the NES? I'm tempted to look for a copy just because of the pie level.

Awesome I have the Pac-Man games in mind from AA but will wait until next month and I'm a Scramble arcade fan so I'll end up getting it. Never knew this machine had a bunch of two player games.

One question: Is Donkey Kong a homebrew I see out there or is it a legit original 80's release? Looks like it has the pie level I haven't youtubed it yet. Does it compare well with the CV or the NES? I'm tempted to look for a copy just because of the pie level.

Both. There's an original release without the pie level, a homebrew by tep392 that is beautiful but needs the XM (what I have), and right now I think tep is also making one with Pokey on board and thus not needing the XM (which is what I wish I had done! :().
  • Like 1

Looks like it has the pie level I haven't youtubed it yet. Does it compare well with the CV or the NES? I'm tempted to look for a copy just because of the pie level.

Here's the video. Better than the CV and NES ports, including the original NES version and the "Original Edition/Pie Foundry" half-baked (Euro exclusive) update job on the NES. These are Arcade timings, gameplay, and down to the smallest of Arcade details. It is really spectacular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVksiALE6e0

• Like 2